Mud Chickens... 50 point... June 2nd...

jammer

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Snuck away for a few hours yesterday afternoon to get in on the Coho action I heard about from Sunday...

Different day different conditions... Greeted by Gin clear cold water all the way out to 184'...

Fished it anyway and played with some mud chickens... 4/4

Still better then any day at work just no eats... lol

20220602_161051.jpg20220602_182449.jpg

Well, a few lakers is better than the skunkeroo... i am finding this year they are finicky as all get out. I was running solo today off Jordan. A bit of a late start as sun was already up by the time I arrived at the launch. Set up in 80, lots of marks, no takers. Kept switching up and working the area, finally set out my orange dodger with an orange / yellow monkey puke pattern in 150 fow, 78 back. Took 2 nice eaters, and one that was a bit too big. Had one take a swipe and then follow the whole way to the boat almost. I could see him following. I tried to trigger a strike but he eventually lost interest. Had one do the acrobatic strike, jumping about 4 foot in the air
Hit so hard the 14 lb flouro leader gave out on me and I haven't had that happen at this time of year before. Once that spoon was gone, it was all over. 3 other boats decided if I was onto them it must be a good spot. They worked the spot kinda crowding me with no luck and decided to head on out. The other line wouldnt fire no matter what i ran. Once the wind died it was game over but it did make for a nice run back on a flat lake. 2nd outing in a row where all the strikes came on only one set up. Last time is was a spinny and fly off the rigger.

Marinated coho steak for supper and another for the smoked salmon

Attachments

• 20220603_142301.jpg
    20220603_142301.jpg
    347.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 20220603_102800.jpg
    20220603_102800.jpg
    421.8 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
I think the cool temps since Wednesday evening shut them down. May need to go pass 200+ fow if they are not in 100-149 Fow.

The last time I caught a laker I still lived in Yellowknife. (over 20 years ago) Ones that size you showed in the picture were good for the table. Then again, with the water up there being so cold, even the bigger ones (10lbs or so) were good for the table, but anything over15-20 lbs usually most people would take the picture and get it back in the water because fish that big were REALLY old and it took a long time for them to get to that size because of how cold the water is. I'd love to hook into one here, but I can't cast that far nor do I want to drive as far as I'd have too with the price of gas right now just to have a chance at maybe hooking into one.

Back