Off Topic Traeger “Mother’s Day” Sale

I just might have to give the family a poke and suggest they buy me one of those probes before the sale ends. 😁 🌻

Traeger people, couple questions. I need to replace my BBQ(broil king). Could possibly just repair it but it's getting old and needs quite a bit of work. Could a traeger replace a typical propane bbq? Or is this a situation where you need both to satisfy your outdoor cooking needs. Is it a smoker? I know it burns pellets and therefore makes smoke, but in any YouTube video I watch it doesn't look very smoky.. I have a line on a 620 silverton for a great price. It's the costco exclusive traeger. Also am I the only one that feels weird about using an electronic bbq in the rain? You can grill in the rain right? Lol thanks for any replies. All the food you guys post looks amazing!

I will answer your first section @Crummybun.

No it won't replace a BBQ, I have a Weber Kettle 22.5, a WSM 22.5, and a Napoleon Prestige NG BBQ, with the Treager being the last addition.

So I have 4 grills/smokers in total.

Smoking is not supposed to be with clouds of smoke. A properly operated smoker has only a light wisp of smoke coming from the chimney/exhaust. Billowy smoke is a sign incomplete/improper burn most associated with wood or wood/charcoal smoking and coats everything with bitterness.

My Treager is under a shingled roof section behind my garage and doesn't get wet.

You might ask @stomp about using one when the weather turns against you.

He's smoking today so I know he and his Treager survived the last recent Londontown tsunami. 🌻

Last edited:

No it won't replace a BBQ, I have a Weber Kettle 22.5, a WSM 22.5, and a Napoleon Prestige NG BBQ, with the Treager being the last addition.

Smoking is not supposed to be with clouds of smoke. A properly operated smoker has only a light wisp of smoke coming from the chimney/exhaust. Billowy smoke is a sign incomplete/improper burn most associated with wood or wood/charcoal smoking and coats everything with bitterness.

My Treager is under a shingled roof section behind my garage and doesn't get wet.

He's smoking today so I know he and his Treager survived the last recent Londontown tsunami. 🌻
Well said

@Crummybun my opinion you’ll want to keep your regular bbq. To me a steak and burgers is the best done on your regular bbq. I couldn’t imagine it being with a smoke flavour. That’s just my opinion.
Saturday on my Campchef pellet smoker I did a 5 lb pork sirloin with mesquite pellets and a I put a rub on it and let sit 2-3 hrs in the fridge prior to cooking
03F09D64-1CFC-48A3-8C01-9EFBEFE49F89.jpeg8D8FD6F4-972B-4A7D-A02D-CEDE6DE0A4CB.jpeg4BCCBA7D-459C-4493-9EC5-900845367E49.jpeg

@Crummybun my opinion you’ll want to keep your regular bbq. To me a steak and burgers is the best done on your regular bbq. I couldn’t imagine it being with a smoke flavour. That’s just my opinion.
Saturday on my Campchef pellet smoker I did a 5 lb pork sirloin with mesquite pellets and a I put a rub on it and let sit 2-3 hrs in the fridge prior to cooking
View attachment 57177View attachment 57178View attachment 57179
Now that looks delicious three boys

@hvyhaul thanks for the reply. We have the broilking and a bradley electric smoker. Both do a good job..... The bradley has a few short comings. Won't really get above 225°f and that's a challenge in cold weather. Definitely wouldn't use it in the rain. Sounds like I need to fix my BBQ or buy a new one.

@three_bouys wow! That looks good and exactly what I'm talking about. You guys make stuff that looks insanely good with these pellet smokers. Perhaps its the chefs and not equipment...

@hvyhaul thanks for the reply. We have the broilking and a bradley electric smoker. Both do a good job..... The bradley has a few short comings. Won't really get above 225°f and that's a challenge in cold weather. Definitely wouldn't use it in the rain. Sounds like I need to fix my BBQ or buy a new one.

@three_bouys wow! That looks good and exactly what I'm talking about. You guys make stuff that looks insanely good with these pellet smokers. Perhaps its the chefs and not equipment...
The nice thing about pellet grills is that you have to prepare the meat and put it on the grill and let it do the work and walk away and no lifting the lid peaking at it. I find that any recipe gives an approx time to cook, but the actual temperature of the meat will determine when it’s done.
I’ve placed meat on it and have gone to the marina for happy hour (hours) many times.
I’ve done chickens, all types of roasts, meatloafs (to die for) and probably the best Mac&cheese you’ll ever eat.
As for the bbq you’ll need to be there or close by checking on it numerous times before it’s burnt beyond eating.

Hell, I've gone to bed, slept all night and things were humming along just fine the following morning with the pellet smoker.

On the other hand, over the years, I've been rotissing the odd roast/chicken, come from inside the house, opened the grill to see dinner slowly rotating completely ablaze in the BBQ.

FIRE MASTERS, not. LOL

Learned burner under food low or off, furthest burner away controls the cook, or just buy a grill with a rotisserie burner. LOL 🌻

@Crummybun , yeah, agree with the above. Pellet Grills are kind of a niche thing in my thinking, and if I could only choose one, I would choose a gas grill. Mind you, I'm still very new to the pellet game, so it may be more versatile than I know.

I use my gas grill in any kind of weather and any time of year. It's an older Weber Genesis and is still rock solid. I did run my Traeger in a bit of rain, but I think it's more a fair weather machine for me, as I don't have a good roof over it.

Traeger people, couple questions. I need to replace my BBQ(broil king). Could possibly just repair it but it's getting old and needs quite a bit of work. Could a traeger replace a typical propane bbq? Or is this a situation where you need both to satisfy your outdoor cooking needs. Is it a smoker? I know it burns pellets and therefore makes smoke, but in any YouTube video I watch it doesn't look very smoky.. I have a line on a 620 silverton for a great price. It's the costco exclusive traeger. Also am I the only one that feels weird about using an electronic bbq in the rain? You can grill in the rain right? Lol thanks for any replies. All the food you guys post looks amazing!
Hey if you're looking to own a smoker/BBQ grill get the masterbuilt gravity fed charcoal smoker it's perfect for smoking just add wood chunks, to grill a steak it leave out wood chunks heats to 700 degrees in 13 mins

They all have their place but I've found the best flavour comes from cooking over charcoal in drum smokers. We've been using the Pit Barrel but next one will be the Gateway smoker or Barrelboss (made in Canada) They are more work but can be customized with a fan and thermometer to dial in temperatures. There is just something about the smoke generated from the charcoal and fat drippings. I hung 6 racks of ribs yesterday and they were amazing.
1652095973259.png

We're planning on replacing/adding a deck this summer. I'm thinking that plans might include a covered grilling area... Just in case we get into the fair weather grilling game. It's hard to pass up a good deal,..

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks