Elbow Aug.3 + Leadcore question

Landlocked

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
image.jpg image.jpg Finally found time to get out to Elbow yesterday morning for a few hours. Hooked into this 9.5 lb pickereye in 60 ft on 10 colour segmented line.....all 585 ft, ugghh . I assume we were almost dragging bottom. Tried to find more then off to other depths with no luck other than two sheepies. Excuse the goofy hat, I am follically challenged and need the help, lol. Question , while running leadcore does everyone lock down the drag or loosen just enough to sound the clicker when fish hits? I had mine locked down and found it hard to determine that we were dragging sheephead for who knows how long .

Keep it loose so that it is just about to pull drag and keep the clicker on until you have a hit. Sheep and silver bass can be there for a long time without you knowing. After you get a hit tighten the drag , turn off the clicker and keep steady pressure on bringing it in.....there is a lot of line weight that you and the fish are both fighting with a ten core.....straight up meat stick but puts fish in the box.

I always loosen the drag and engage the clicker. The only issue when you do that is you must remember not to try sinking the hooks with an extra tug because you can end up with a mess if not holding the spool. I doubt setting the hooks is necessary. Just tightening you drag and reeling in your fish usually works. Lots of reeling with 10 colours out.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks