One more week to go !

Old Cut LongPointer

But who's counting ? LoL ! I have Sunrise as 06:26 AM for Turkey Opener on Monday April 25th supposedly partly cloudy with a High of 11 degrees C in the morning hours with 20 km/h SW winds but who knows ? ; that's the weather peoples best guess ?

Turkey hunting is my absolute favourite. Working a vocal Tom just about gets my heart pounding out of my chest. My son and I both have the morning off work for openner and I,m really looking forwards to this year. We have a new farm to hunt and were out on Saturday morning at 5 to see where the birds were. Ran into 4 does, heard a ton of gobbling as they were waking up and have a pretty good Idea of where we are going to set up. A golden Eagle couple are nesting on the farm and even saw a pileated woodpecker. I have a new shotgun this year and have been playing around with choke/shells to pattern it. It's funny, whether it's the shotgun with goose or turkey loads, slugs or the rifle, I never feel recoil when hunting, but man do I hate pulling the trigger when patterning turkey loads. Anyway, good luck to all

We are already at the meal planning stage on our birds. I counted 4 matures and another 3 or more jakes on our best property and have seen several Toms strutting on our back up spots. Oldest boy is finished exams and done his 3rd year Uni as of Saturday. We will be out opening day! Here’s hoping it doesn’t all go to crap somehow. They are goofy birds but I’ve had many a hunt go sideways nonetheless! Good luck everyone!

Attachments

• C7695514-9EE2-4F10-9C5F-99A2FC32843E.png
    C7695514-9EE2-4F10-9C5F-99A2FC32843E.png
    969.1 KB · Views: 33
  • EA4A50D1-562E-4019-9AEC-8104DD8EE9DE.png
    EA4A50D1-562E-4019-9AEC-8104DD8EE9DE.png
    869.3 KB · Views: 31
But who's counting ? LoL ! I have Sunrise as 06:26 AM for Turkey Opener on Monday April 25th supposedly partly cloudy with a High of 11 degrees C in the morning hours with 20 km/h SW winds but who knows ? ; that's the weather peoples best guess ?
70% chance of 🌧️ 5-10mm for Monday now, lets hope that changes between now and then. Going to have to work some fields I guess if it does pour rain. Was out yesterday morning scouting a property and birds were firing off all around. Took Monday and Friday off, I may take the Thursday as well but I am lucky enough to be able to hunt a few hours everyday before work. My last 4 birds I've killed before 6:15am and home in time for coffee and breakfast before starting the day-job.

Nice weekend to prepare but now they call for 96 percent chance of rain for Monday. My blinds don't have a roof so that's that for me !

LoL ! I wonder if hunting near a turkey farm counts as using live decoys ?

Nice weekend to prepare but now they call for 96 percent chance of rain for Monday. My blinds don't have a roof so that's that for me !

LoL ! I wonder if hunting near a turkey farm counts as using live decoys ?
Technically no, but there is no hunting by the barns, even with the bird flu we are not allowed to shoot wild 🦃 or the Canadian geese sitting on the manure pile behind the barn.

Aaaah yes ! The Avian bird flu . I hear there are areas between London and Woodstock north of the 401 of concern plus out in Alberta has cases detected. So along with having a beard do we only shoot the birds wearing a mask ? I can cluck&putt, yelp, cutt and purr etc. but coughing like a Turkey is a new for me ? Weather still looks wet for Monday with a chilly high of 6 c on Wednesday .

Excited to get out but fortunate to be retired and don't need to go in the rain. Its a long season and I like it better a week or two into it. The birds behind my place are still in big groups. Hard to work with them until they split up a bit.

Technically no, but there is no hunting by the barns, even with the bird flu we are not allowed to shoot wild 🦃 or the Canadian geese sitting on the manure pile behind the barn.
My farm is in the hot zone because a farm 3km away tested positive,now twice a week they will swab the 🦃 that die

I hear ya Singlemalt ! Being able to step out the back door and into the woods anytime you want is one of the best perks of retirement and if you don't get him today there's always tomorrow, preferably fair weather days. No weekend warriors to bother you is another perk.

Fishboss ; Do you shoot wild turkeys on your property ? Would you take your bird in for testing ? I've read that most strains of Avian Bird Flu are not harmful to humans but there's a couple that will .

I hear ya Singlemalt ! Being able to step out the back door and into the woods anytime you want is one of the best perks of retirement and if you don't get him today there's always tomorrow, preferably fair weather days. No weekend warriors to bother you is another perk.

Fishboss ; Do you shoot wild turkeys on your property ? Would you take your bird in for testing ? I've read that most strains of Avian Bird Flu are not harmful to humans but there's a couple that will .
Hey I don't hunt turkeys, but I will start next year, If I was to shoot a 🦃 while the flu was going around I would like it tested just to be sure, I did set up my trail cam in the woods yesterday seen couple doe tracks and a fawn track, no buck tracks yet, but hopefully the cam will catch pics of bucks.

Rain held off, birds played nice, number 1 son got off to a bit of a rocky start on my decoys but he did manage to sluice his bird as well and we had to fish it out of the creek, but it was a fun hunt and time well spent together!!

Attachments

• A285F262-EAE1-4FC7-B01B-57D88FC10D60.jpeg
    A285F262-EAE1-4FC7-B01B-57D88FC10D60.jpeg
    613.8 KB · Views: 71
  • 2F316842-0823-4A20-999F-D1915DF97891.jpeg
    2F316842-0823-4A20-999F-D1915DF97891.jpeg
    551.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_4737.MOV
    7.1 MB
Good for you Singlemalt ! Mixed emotions ? Look at it as a blessing because now the blackflies will be out ! You could always go out with a birdless hunter and call for him/her ?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks