Off Topic Any Crappie Tips?

Speedy Turtle

Don't have a boat and was looking for any tips to help me catch crappie from shore. Do crappies go up creeks to spawn or mostly stay in the bay for that? Do all channels hold crappies when they get warm enough?

If the body of water your fishing has crappies then yes a lot of the crappies will come into the channel and creeks to spawn. If the lake or pond your fishing dosnt have channel's look for them to be in the shallows during spawn look for reeded areas boat docks or downed trees. I like to use a slip bobber with a small jig and tube or plane jig with a live minnow .

They love to spawn in creeks. Especially shallow stuff on the north shorelines. 55* is a magic number,, those creeks can hit 55 in the afternoons in good sunlight and cool off at night. Done be afraid to put your bait 6 inches below the bobber,,, crappie feed up always.

The few I caught I found them to have dainty mouths so those I did land gobbled the hook deep as opposed to lip hooked which they either spit or it ripped out of their mouth; at least that's my observation. Those deep holes throughout the marsh channels usually hold fish but unfortunately there isn't a lot of public access areas for pedestrians down on Long Point.

The few I caught I found them to have dainty mouths so those I did land gobbled the hook deep as opposed to lip hooked which they either spit or it ripped out of their mouth; at least that's my observation. Those deep holes throughout the marsh channels usually hold fish but unfortunately there isn't a lot of public access areas for pedestrians down on Long Point.
This is true for most of the shoreline of Erie. It is hard to access any good crappy holding spots by shore… but if you look close enough you may find one or two. 🙃

Water temps are around 2-6 C or 35-39 F in the Windsor essex area. Do you think crappie and some other fish are out and about?

Took the daughter for a walk to a nearby pond and caught 15 of these slabs lost a bunch off of worms plus a few bonus perch, sunfish, bluegills and bullhead. Steady 2 hours of bite, crappie were going after the float on a few occasions.

Attachments

• 20220402_151254.jpg
    20220402_151254.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 30
Caught a 11 inch crappie today! Right off of river canard bridge area!

Guess there are fish in these low temps!

FPYAsjQXIAEKV2n

Must have been out of the canal between the pull off area and the hunt club.., years and years ago they used too catch a lot of them in there.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks