Off Topic Running harnesses with body baits

fishing or farming

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
I often get asked how fast can I run a harness? The answer I have is in form of a question. What blade are you using and how good is the clevis your using?

A Colorado blade with a well made clevis can spin at speeds up to 2.3 mph. Any faster and it may act more like a spoon and drag. A Willow blade however is built for high speeds. It take more to wrap this blade around but this is how you can run body baits and harnesses mid summer to find the schools of walleye. In a recent post it showed over 75% of walleye diet in our central basin is shad. A lot of my success in the summer is running short, fat body baits and Willow blade harnesses until I find the school. Then I slow down, turn and have fun.

FYI we have a sale of 10% off our harnesses for the remainder of the month which ends this Friday.

Check out our website Click Here

Discount Code : STOMP10

9C2926E0-5668-4E8D-AA10-97D2C97355A3.jpeg0BEA2262-42D7-414D-AC64-02656C8954DF.jpeg

Thanks for viewing our website

www.eriesecrets.ca

Dan

I was always told to drop your harness in the water you're trolling in just below the surface and observes the blades. The blades need to roll but not too violent, too slow and blades won't spin, too fast and they just tangle amongst the lure hooks and blades. Sorry to be a bummer but I have always liked two hooks on the worm harness.

I was always told to drop your harness in the water you're trolling in just below the surface and observes the blades. The blades need to roll but not too violent, too slow and blades won't spin, too fast and they just tangle amongst the lure hooks and blades. Sorry to be a bummer but I have always liked two hooks on the worm harness.
It’s part of learning how to use your baits and speed and depth. 😂 I think the picture is fooling, there are 2 hooks to all the harnesses I make. It’s hard to see in the bottom of the picture 👍🏻

I often get asked how fast can I run a harness? The answer I have is in form of a question. What blade are you using and how good is the clevis your using?

A Colorado blade with a well made clevis can spin at speeds up to 2.3 mph. Any faster and it may act more like a spoon and drag. A Willow blade however is built for high speeds. It take more to wrap this blade around but this is how you can run body baits and harnesses mid summer to find the schools of walleye. In a recent post it showed over 75% of walleye diet in our central basin is shad. A lot of my success in the summer is running short, fat body baits and Willow blade harnesses until I find the school. Then I slow down, turn and have fun.

FYI we have a sale of 10% off our harnesses for the remainder of the month which ends this Friday.

View attachment 56181View attachment 56180

www.eriesecrets.ca

Dan
If that harness is the best one i just ordered 4 and that wasnt one of them😳

If that harness is the best one i just ordered 4 and that wasnt one of them😳
@Alby thank you for your order. All the harnesses I make are my best one 😊 They all work for different situations. The ones you ordered will catch fish no doubt!!!

www.eriesecrets.ca

Dan
What do you mean regarding the body baits? Are running two different lures, one harness and one body bait, or do you mean the harness shown which sort of has a body bait design?

What do you mean regarding the body baits? Are running two different lures, one harness and one body bait, or do you mean the harness shown which sort of has a body bait design?
I’m running shad raps and harnesses at the same time… these baits usually won’t work together as most harnesses won’t run at high speeds. The Willow blade shown in the body design bait works well at higher speeds which you’d run a shad rap at mid summer when fishing suspended fish

I’m running shad raps and harnesses at the same time… these baits usually won’t work together as most harnesses won’t run at high speeds. The Willow blade shown in the body design bait works well at higher speeds which you’d run a shad rap at mid summer when fishing suspended fish
Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense. I probably saw the same charts as you did. Accordingly, the eastern basin is mostly Goby type bait. Do you have any willow blades for this bait?

Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense. I probably saw the same charts as you did. Accordingly, the eastern basin is mostly Goby type bait. Do you have any willow blades for this bait?
So goby’s are great to mimic because they stay close to the bottom. A inline weight, bottom bouncers or dipsy can get you in the zone. I have had luck with dark coloured Colorado’s and clear Willow with dark body’s and beads
02B31048-20A2-4E4E-A4FB-041C6407D3EE.jpegD30BCA80-1BAE-49EC-AF4B-EA664A4FFB95.jpeg80546599-7B06-4A13-A23F-45CF2558BD52.jpegF56419CD-96C8-43F1-A54D-CFF3EADA2AA1.jpeg

Attachments

• 0B834F08-44E3-4E24-AD8E-1DA10FA74C44.jpeg
    0B834F08-44E3-4E24-AD8E-1DA10FA74C44.jpeg
    15.5 KB · Views: 3
  • FDDA832A-EFBC-4944-917C-560BF0D8A6B6.jpeg
    FDDA832A-EFBC-4944-917C-560BF0D8A6B6.jpeg
    26 KB · Views: 4
I fish 2.3-2.4 at the probe pretty consistently on Erie and that goes for everything that goes in the water.

Always check the action of the bait before the line is let back to depth/distance.

The boat is pretty well a spoon presentation, but the neighbour has been successfully experimenting with harnesses, and that will be expanded this season.

Never too old to adapt. 🌻

Harnesses 90% of the time in my boat. 1.2 to 2.0 mph, what ever they want.

I ran that speed for a bit when the neighbour started putting harnesses in the water.

I know 0.5 mph slower is really diddly squat, but it seemed soooooooooo much slower than normal.

You get used to (at least I do) the sounds of the boat / motor / waves and whenever something is different it really stands out. 🌻

I ran that speed for a bit when the neighbour started putting harnesses in the water.

I know 0.5 mph slower is really diddly squat, but it seemed soooooooooo much slower than normal.

You get used to (at least I do) the sounds of the boat / motor / waves and whenever something is different it really stands out. 🌻
I ran spoons for years, then a late friend who fished only with harnesses wouldn’t go out on the boat with me unless I threw a couple of his. We ended up having more success that day than I have ever had. After, I researched everything harness related and now those spoon get used but too not regularly.

I ran spoons for years, then a late friend who fished only with harnesses wouldn’t go out on the boat with me unless I threw a couple of his. We ended up having more success that day than I have ever had. After, I researched everything harness related and now those spoon get used but too not regularly.

Hey, I'm in @fishing or farming, I'm looking forward to getting my stuff. :giggle:

I just can't say spoons don't work for me..... yet. LOL

Body baits on the other hand....... :oops::(

My favourite always produces, taken on someone else's boat(s), and then left behind because of what happened there as well.

I'm dedicating a trip with your harnesses, (I'll have enough :giggle:), nothing else will go in the water that day and I will work speed etc and write up the day for hopefully, everyone's benefit.

Fishing on Erie seems so far away. 🌻

Hey, I'm in @fishing or farming, I'm looking forward to getting my stuff. :giggle:

I just can't say spoons don't work for me..... yet. LOL

Body baits on the other hand....... :oops::(

My favourite always produces, taken on someone else's boat(s), and then left behind because of what happened there as well.

I'm dedicating a trip with your harnesses, (I'll have enough :giggle:), nothing else will go in the water that day and I will work speed etc and write up the day for hopefully, everyone's benefit.

Fishing on Erie seems so far away. 🌻
It does seem far away unless your willing to drive 2.5 hr one way. I’m looking forward to hearing about your trip with my harnesses.

You asked me to include one of my favourite ones. This is a good way for some tackle makers to get rid of old stock😂 not me. I m a new business so you get my best!!! You will come to the harness side yet @hvyhaul

www.eriesecrets.ca

Dan
Just recieved the harnesses I ordered from you and they look awesome! Can't wait to try them out. If I'd known you were just North of Woodstock I could have just dropped by and picked them up. What is the "leader" you included for?

Attachments

• 20220405_113544.jpg
    20220405_113544.jpg
    371.4 KB · Views: 30
Just recieved the harnesses I ordered from you and they look awesome! Can't wait to try them out. If I'd known you were just North of Woodstock I could have just dropped by and picked them up. What is the "leader" you included for?
I just got mine also look good but no leader

Attachments

• 20220405_162624.jpg
    20220405_162624.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 11
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks