Off Topic One too many trips to the bird feeder...

If ya don’t see one, ya just might be one!
Joey Tribbiani Friends GIF

Since we have all the bird experts gathered together...

The other day I was watching 2 bald eagles feed on a deer carcass and after they had their fill another bird showed up shortly afterwards. It was dark brown with whiteish speckles on it's sides and under it's wings. It looked to be slightly larger than the eagles.

After some effort it tore off a back leg bone and flew away with it. It was impressive watching a bird with so much power latch on and jump/fly multiple times to rip off the leg.

Got pics of the eagles, none of the other bird.

Since we have all the bird experts gathered together...

The other day I was watching 2 bald eagles feed on a deer carcass and after they had their fill another bird showed up shortly afterwards. It was dark brown with whiteish speckles on it's sides and under it's wings. It looked to be slightly larger than the eagles.

After some effort it tore off a back leg bone and flew away with it. It was impressive watching a bird with so much power latch on and jump/fly multiple times to rip off the leg.

Got pics of the eagles, none of the other bird.
That is likely a Golden Eagle, getting to be lots around. Immature Balds are very similar and easily mistaken. One sure way to see the difference between the two is the leg. Bald has a yellow unfeathered leg while the Golden's leg is feathered right to the ground. That said a Bald can have long breast feathers that appear to cover the leg. Google the two birds and you will see.
Tell friends but try not to reveal location to the public, or people will appear and maybe disrupt them. They're hungry right now with the cold and snow.
Good find by the way.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks