Favorite walleye spoons

Fisherboat

With all the boxing day sales coming up, I thought it may be a good time to stock up the tackle box.
Wondering if we could get a survey on which manufacturer and colour of spoon for Walleye fishing on Lake Erie works best for you!! 🎣🎣

Colour catches fisherman/woman not fish. If anything watch the colour on the back or bottom of the lure.

3 rules:
-locations (fish where the fish are)
-depth of fish (where they are in the water column)
-depth of water (how deep is the water they are located)

These matter most 👆

In low light days UVs work wonders attracting fish to your lure. On bright days we turn to copper backs and dark lures.

I make these worm harnesses. Most days I start with a spread of harnesses, spoons etc. Most days harnesses do best.

Match the hatch! If you see a fish spit up a shad, go with wide and short bates. If you see a minnow go longer and skinny.

Have you ever seen a baby minnow in the winter? Lol happy holidays

Dan

Attachments

• 9B061E7D-97A4-4AF3-902F-FBBB4B912665.jpeg
    9B061E7D-97A4-4AF3-902F-FBBB4B912665.jpeg
    262.2 KB · Views: 37
Hands down, without question.

Dreamweaver Super Slim Perch

View attachment 52510
Well maybe more so for walleye trolling but as a wx bass tourney guy I can indeed tell you color does in fact make a difference.....some days ...other days it wouldn't matter. After decades of data and experience I have about 6 or 8 go to color patterns that just simply outfish others. Checkout Linders angling edge for a detailed espoide just focused on color patterns .

nice bait selection Dan with fishing and farming, I agree with last seasons quick post early season walleye lake erie lure
selection, it was a quick one..despite the selection..
Like some of the other members I also enjoy the post May and into June season myself, just where anglers are avoiding June bug hatches..enjoyable time of the walleye season that does move rather quickly..if you don't mind a little north like us we extend that season

Hi just wondered @jerk bait can you mention what Linder angling edge your refering edge with one specific bait colour in size 375 multi species, mine dates back to the late 70s and I bet on it to continue..with a very large investment to continue during this off season..
my aggressive artificial bait purchases are ridiculous..
on the flipside..I never have to buy another one..
I got one more bait to Add and my collection is completed and done

Last edited:
Here’s a variety for Lake Erie

Attachments

• 71E14F6D-0D38-46FB-8DFD-40008BDDFD93.jpeg
    71E14F6D-0D38-46FB-8DFD-40008BDDFD93.jpeg
    433.3 KB · Views: 95
Silver streak minis in blueberry muffin, greasy chicken wing, jerry lee. Great Lakes Spoons in green monkey puke. Gold/black ripplin. These proved to be my most consistent producers all year. Slight edge to copper back in side to side comparison but silver backs held their own. Fish really keyed in on the mini sizes this year for me. Hardly touched the bigger ones once i had my pattern established. Have alot of new cranks to try this summer...

A reputable charter captain once told me that colour is the last thing to worry about when fishing for Lake Erie pickerel.
1. depth control
2. speed
3. cadence (lure action)
4. lure size
5. colour..

Each of these lures have landed walleye from Erie. Also salmon, trout, and farm animals.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-27 at 1.19.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-27 at 1.19.05 PM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 51
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-27 at 1.20.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-27 at 1.20.32 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 51
Neighbor and I trolled for 3 hours with not a sniff on pink panties and gold and black redfins. Usual go to baits. Was a bluebird sky and sunny

Switched over to black/dark baits.. slammed em and filled a cooler for 2 in 45 minutes.

Next day with exactly the same conditions… nothing on dark baits but nailed em all on pink panties and gold and black redfins

Just have them all….

I usually juggle from the list until we figure out what is the ticket of that particular day. One day RRFs totally suck and another day pink panties suck... Standard color names across multiple makers: various pink panties, nascar, blueberry muffin, monkey puke, creasy chicken, perch etc...

I have about 50 spoons for Lake Erie from GLSpoons, Dreamweaver SS, Moonshine (orange kills rainbows), Michigan Stinger, and also about 25 cranks RRF, Bandits shallow and generator, Bomber, Salmo.

White and more White back and front because it's the back of the lure the fish see's and Silver, "NOT Chrome", if you can find Silver.
Colours other than white attracts people. (y) :D

Attachments

• IMG_2606.JPG
    IMG_2606.JPG
    471.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 65366079345__9CD36D83-67A3-4730-8D2D-A4D5D874F807.jpg
    65366079345__9CD36D83-67A3-4730-8D2D-A4D5D874F807.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks