Fishing Report Musky Tagging Day 11-05

G.Mech

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
This past Friday, we were involved with the the Belle River Muskies Canada group attempting to catch musky to be tagged and fitted with radio tracking transmitters by the OMNR. The weather was perfect but the fishing had been slow so we headed out with fingers crossed along with about 25 other boats. Any fish caught were held in the fishermen's on-board recovery tanks and brought into the tagging station at Belle River Marina where the ministry biologists took over. The fish were electrically anesthetized (shocked into unconsciousness), weighed, measured, externally tagged, and fitted with a radio transmitter into a small incision in their belly. The fish were then revived and returned back to the lake by the volunteer fishermen. The ministry uses the location data to track the migration and movements of the fish in cooperation with a larger study group called GLATOS. They had hoped to tag 50 fish but the group was only able to bring in 26 suitable candidates despite everyone's best efforts. Many boats including us were skunked on Friday but we did manage to hook up on 4 fish early in the day that wouldn't cooperate. Here are some pics of the tagging operation.

IMG_20211105_1541401.jpg
IMG_20211105_1550165.jpgIMG_20211105_1539399.jpgIMG_20211105_1552187.jpg

Very cool! GLATOS is also a very interesting website. I couldn’t find the Lake St. Clair muskie study. Would love to read through the study if anyone finds the link.

I believe there was one muskie that swam to Buffalo Harbour and back. Wonder if the the muskie in LPB are transient or resident. Probably both.

Very cool! GLATOS is also a very interesting website. I couldn’t find the Lake St. Clair muskie study. Would love to read through the study if anyone finds the link.

I believe there was one muskie that swam to Buffalo Harbour and back. Wonder if the the muskie in LPB are transient or resident. Probably both.
Here is the link but they don't share a ton of info on this project. That fish was tag #007 so they nicknamed it James Bond. Not all of the musky are that adventurous...

https://glatos.glos.us/home/project/MUSKY

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks