LPB Pike Tournament

BozoBrody

Well it was a wet one today, trolled all day out front of turkey point in 15-18 fow running one rod with a big Williams whitefish and 2 ounce clip weight 50 feet back, other rod with a super shad rap back 100. Fish came out to play just after the rain stopped with us going 8/12 including one being 13lbs and the other being 9lbs which was enough to give us 22lbs (-1lbs for a dead fish) which was good enough for 1st place and big fish. Had loads of fun today thanks to Jesse for putting it on looking forward for it next year

Attachments

• B149C5EB-1674-4924-A2B8-B3C1BDF13187.jpeg
    B149C5EB-1674-4924-A2B8-B3C1BDF13187.jpeg
    231.6 KB · Views: 288
  • 008C87EE-0DCC-423D-A7A4-EF06C2A673A0.jpeg
    008C87EE-0DCC-423D-A7A4-EF06C2A673A0.jpeg
    390 KB · Views: 272
  • 59B62669-6B75-4FEC-AECB-EAAEC4F49262.jpeg
    59B62669-6B75-4FEC-AECB-EAAEC4F49262.jpeg
    248.6 KB · Views: 277
  • 78BBFBFE-5B3D-4286-91EF-CDDFE76C77F7.jpeg
    78BBFBFE-5B3D-4286-91EF-CDDFE76C77F7.jpeg
    211.5 KB · Views: 293
Well it was a wet one today, trolled all day out front of turkey point in 15-18 fow running one rod with a big Williams whitefish and 2 ounce clip weight 50 feet back, other rod with a super shad rap back 100. Fish came out to play just after the rain stopped with us going 8/12 including one being 13lbs and the other being 9lbs which was enough to give us 22lbs (-1lbs for a dead fish) which was good enough for 1st place and big fish. Had loads of fun today thanks to Jesse for putting it on looking forward for it next year
Great job and a great report. Interesting boat set-up you have put together.

Nice haul BTW BozoBrody 👍👏👍 : on both the 🐟 and 💰 fronts. Though I have never entered a tournament myself, it must be cool to actually go home up a few bucks from a fishing trip. What's that like❓‼️

Boat setup???? Could there pics of said setup?
Here’s a quick run down, 21 foot steel ray brown built tiller with a 115 merc on. 6.75 foot beam makes it amazing and stable for rough weather and late season duck hunting. Now the interesting part I’m assuming you guys were noticing, the great big planer board mask in the front of the boat. With the boat being so wide need the “T” shape to get boards away from the boat. Did have hand crank down riggers on it at for planer board rope the start of the walleye season (as you can see in the last pic) but quickly got rid of those as the were nothing but a pain in my a$$. Just welded two hooks on either side and wrap planer board rope around it. I have the rod holders for it to be able to run 16 rods but the most I’ve put out is 12. Add the jbl sound system and the top speed of 40mph there’s nothing more I could ask for in it. Amazing boat

Attachments

• A39F4E4E-A9B8-439E-92C9-2FA8B5DB46EE.jpeg
    A39F4E4E-A9B8-439E-92C9-2FA8B5DB46EE.jpeg
    302 KB · Views: 131
  • 721F2659-22A6-4BEB-AE1C-6418780CCBDF.jpeg
    721F2659-22A6-4BEB-AE1C-6418780CCBDF.jpeg
    336.7 KB · Views: 116
  • AEDCF806-1995-48D7-844A-BF7D36401D33.jpeg
    AEDCF806-1995-48D7-844A-BF7D36401D33.jpeg
    451.4 KB · Views: 101
  • F1DC597D-A426-4237-92E2-2B66C953D524.jpeg
    F1DC597D-A426-4237-92E2-2B66C953D524.jpeg
    452.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 3F2D40FF-8D26-4A17-B5E5-0E1268B11FCD.jpeg
    3F2D40FF-8D26-4A17-B5E5-0E1268B11FCD.jpeg
    339.9 KB · Views: 98
  • E2C41182-60F2-430D-92C5-FB25933C34D4.png
    E2C41182-60F2-430D-92C5-FB25933C34D4.png
    729.6 KB · Views: 95
  • 27F156E7-7488-4A44-BB84-A5206DD7786F.png
    27F156E7-7488-4A44-BB84-A5206DD7786F.png
    761.5 KB · Views: 135
@BozoBrody Those brown boat are great boats, Mr Brown can do many things with his boats.... Great job fishing Saturday !!!!!

Hi everyone, my name is Mike I’m 55 and from St. Thomas. I have been a reader of the forum for a long time, just joined today. I have mostly fished at Rondeau Bay, and up north on the Key River and French River. I just started fishing LPB last year. I love Pike and Bass fishing.

I have a couple of questions.
First for BozoBrody. What kind of cooler is that in the picture of your boat? Is that your live well?
And can you to use a home made live well in all tournaments or does it have to be built in? I have never fished in a tournament before, someone told me you can’t use portable, or home made live wells in most tournaments?

Also I have never been out to Bluff’s bar before, I have always fished the inner bay. I have an older classic 15ft Chaparral Tri Hull Bowrider (in excellent condition) with a 65 hp Johnson. Would it be an ok size to fish the outer bay, and Bluff’s bar?

Thanks for any info, and nice to meet everyone.

Hi everyone, my name is Mike I’m 55 and from St. Thomas. I have been a reader of the forum for a long time, just joined today. I have mostly fished at Rondeau Bay, and up north on the Key River and French River. I just started fishing LPB last year. I love Pike and Bass fishing.

I have a couple of questions.
First for BozoBrody. What kind of cooler is that in the picture of your boat? Is that your live well?
And can you to use a home made live well in all tournaments or does it have to be built in? I have never fished in a tournament before, someone told me you can’t use portable, or home made live wells in most tournaments?

Also I have never been out to Bluff’s bar before, I have always fished the inner bay. I have an older classic 15ft Chaparral Tri Hull Bowrider (in excellent condition) with a 65 hp Johnson. Would it be an ok size to fish the outer bay, and Bluff’s bar?

Thanks for any info, and nice to meet everyone.
You can definitely make a cooler into a livewell by adding recirculation pumps same idea as musky guys have as revival tanks on boats but as for accessories to making it all work hopefully other members can help you out.
Welcome to the site, tead Rondeau and wondering where you're from and what ports you fish

Welcome aboard Mike 🤝. I am rather new to the site as well. If you have been reading/following along for a while then you already know what a treasure trove this site can be for not only information but shenanigans as well. In answer to your boat question... it's not such a simple thing. There a those rare days that you could be out there in anything and days you wouldn't want to be out there in anything! Sometimes both those extremes can happen on the same day within a few hours - Mother Erie is a merciless bitch sometimes. You just have to pick your days based on the weather forecasts -the more sources the better and really keep an eye on conditions as they develop. I fish out of a 16' Starcraft with a rip-roaring 9.9 ponies and I have been out to Bluff's Bar but it's a long ride at 15 mph. Most often though, I launch at Erieau at the lip of Rondeau Bay and I head out on the lake from there as it is one of the easiest places to reach deep water close to shore, has great amenities, and has the advantage of Rondeau Bay as a safe retreat to head to if the big water is worse than the weather gurus forecast. Some folks look at me as though I'm off my nut when they see me 6 or 7 miles off shore in my wee yellow boat, even when it's dead calm. It depends more on how experienced you are with your gear and boat in less than ideal conditions, especially if you get caught out when things turn quickly and how well you are prepared for emergencies with the safety gear on board and a working knowledge of how to use it. If your a "Basser" then I am sure the like minded members on the site will help with destinations outside the inner bay that will work at varying times of the season. Again, welcome to the site, I hope your reception is as warm as mine was earlier this year.

You can definitely make a cooler into a livewell by adding recirculation pumps same idea as musky guys have as revival tanks on boats but as for accessories to making it all work hopefully other members can help you out.
Welcome to the site, tead Rondeau and wondering where you're from and what ports you fish
I'm from St. Thomas. I fish Rondeau Bay a lot, out of the Provincial Park (we camp there quite often). My parents many years ago (when they were still alive) owned a cottage on the Key River, near the Key Harbour Lodge, so I fished that area a lot. We still go up there once in a while and stay at the Lodge, there are some huge pike in that area my PB there is 22 lbs.

As far as LPB, I started fishing it 2 years ago. I launch out of Old Cut at Post's (he still has his ramp open) and fish the Inner Bay quite often, for Pike and Bass. I have never been out to the outer bay yet or Bluff's bar. I'm hoping to get out there next week to try it, if the weather is good.

I need to make a livewell, so I can enter a tournament, I have never been in one, sure sounds like fun.
Mike.

Last edited:
BozoBrody:
That's nicely rigged. 👍 I am glad to see another tiller guy out there plying the waters, though my little tiller isn't in the same league as yours. I was interested in your planer board mast as you suspected as I have a home-built one as well. It is made up of galvanized pipe, some pulleys and some stainless eyes. Interestingly, I came to the same conclusion and configuration as you and did with the manual line wrap thing too and avoided any sort of reels. I have planned to put mine more in the centre of the boat so I can get to it more easily when I am alone in the boat as I don't have the wood floor boards for walking around or for that matter, the stability of the wide beam design nor the mass of your "steelie". Are those cedar planks on your floor? If so, are they a bit slick when wet or pike-slimed😬? I am thinking of coating the lower part of the inside of my hull with some of that DIY spray on bedliner for extra grip on the aluminum interior. Also, I didn't see what you had for mounting your electronics like your fish finder, switches etc. I had a removable improvised dash pod mounted in front of my seat that could swivel in the oar-lock but am looking to put it somewhere else where it I would be easier to watch my finder and still keep an eye on the rear rod holders without craning my old man neck 👴🏼back and forth all day like I am at Wimbledon🎾. I find my self sitting sideways in the boat most of the time anyway. Again, yours is a pretty well thought out rig and congratulations again on the pike tourney win - with the proceeds, you might be able to give Three Buoys a run next year in the onboard audio competition 🔊🎶🔊🎶🔊🎶🔊🎶🔊🎶🔊🎶as well🤣!

Welcome aboard Mike 🤝. I am rather new to the site as well. If you have been reading/following along for a while then you already know what a treasure trove this site can be for not only information but shenanigans as well. In answer to your boat question... it's not such a simple thing. There a those rare days that you could be out there in anything and days you wouldn't want to be out there in anything! Sometimes both those extremes can happen on the same day within a few hours - Mother Erie is a merciless bitch sometimes. You just have to pick your days based on the weather forecasts -the more sources the better and really keep an eye on conditions as they develop. I fish out of a 16' Starcraft with a rip-roaring 9.9 ponies and I have been out to Bluff's Bar but it's a long ride at 15 mph. Most often though, I launch at Erieau at the lip of Rondeau Bay and I head out on the lake from there as it is one of the easiest places to reach deep water close to shore, has great amenities, and has the advantage of Rondeau Bay as a safe retreat to head to if the big water is worse than the weather gurus forecast. Some folks look at me as though I'm off my nut when they see me 6 or 7 miles off shore in my wee yellow boat, even when it's dead calm. It depends more on how experienced you are with your gear and boat in less than ideal conditions, especially if you get caught out when things turn quickly and how well you are prepared for emergencies with the safety gear on board and a working knowledge of how to use it. If your a "Basser" then I am sure the like minded members on the site will help with destinations outside the inner bay that will work at varying times of the season. Again, welcome to the site, I hope your reception is as warm as mine was earlier this year.
Thanks, Reel-ist.

My boat being a Tri Hull is pretty stable and fairly good with waves for it’s size, but it is after all only a 15 ft boat. Not a big lake boat. It will do 35mph with my wife and me in it, so getting out there shouldn’t take too long in good weather.

How long does it take to get to Bluff’s bar out of old cut, at say 30mph?

Yea, I like Rondeau Bay, in June, July you can’t keep the large mouths off your line! Some huge bass in there too and some nice pike, the only problem is latter in the season the weeds get very thick. I have never caught a musky there, although other people say they are there.
Mike.

Casky:
From the Old Cut I think it is about 15 miles give or take, so depending on the waves, and how much of a pounding you can tolerate, 30 to 45 minutes at a non- breakneck speed.

the better route to the bluffs is out of Turkey Point. Will knock a few miles off. The downside of it blows up it can be quite rough crossing back thought the opening to the bay. Welcome aboard.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks