Off Topic Boat is resting

scrimmy

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Well boat is in my buddy's garage for the winter and my fishing season is done until the spring when I take my buddy out to Port Franks for the Blue Water Salmon Derby. I did forget to replace my noisy livewell pump but I can do that sometime between now and the spring. Only have to remove the travel tarp first and stick my hand down the very small access hole to reach the pump. Since I got this boat in July I have nothing but good things to say about it. Although it is only 18' in length it handles the water way better than my 19.5' Campion Center Console ever did. I am very pleased with the boat so far and had no troubles all year with it except for the livewell pump that is on its way out. It still works but bushings are gone in the pump and it is very very noisy. Good luck to everyone who is still fishing and be safe out there.

Well boat is in my buddy's garage for the winter and my fishing season is done until the spring when I take my buddy out to Port Franks for the Blue Water Salmon Derby. I did forget to replace my noisy livewell pump but I can do that sometime between now and the spring. Only have to remove the travel tarp first and stick my hand down the very small access hole to reach the pump. Since I got this boat in July I have nothing but good things to say about it. Although it is only 18' in length it handles the water way better than my 19.5' Campion Center Console ever did. I am very pleased with the boat so far and had no troubles all year with it except for the livewell pump that is on its way out. It still works but bushings are gone in the pump and it is very very noisy. Good luck to everyone who is still fishing and be safe out there.
Funny my livewell pump was noisey since day 1 last year when it was brand new
This year it kept tripping the little breaker fuse
Guess I need to replace it this winter

Atwood Tsunami 500gph pump. I already bought the pump a month ago but have not put it in yet. With the Legend 18' Xtreme you need someone with long skinny arms to get at it. You don't need to replace the whole pump just the power head. My problem is the release tab is up against one of the gussets supporting the transom so I need to figure out how to release the tab otherwise I will have to take the whole assembly off and replace the whole thing. The red release tab is impossible to release with its position. The one shown is on the opposite side of the release tab which is right up tight to the gusset so I can't even get my finger on it. You have to depress it and turn the head counter clockwise to release the head.

Attachments

• pump.jpg
    pump.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Funny my livewell pump was noisey since day 1 last year when it was brand new
This year it kept tripping the little breaker fuse
Guess I need to replace it this winter
My F19 will trip the breaker if Im moving even slowly and try and fill livewell.Have to be sitting to fill or just on electric while bass fishing.

My breaker has never tripped and I can run the pump at 30+ mph. It is just the bushings in the powerhead that are toast. When you turn it on it sounds like someone is being beaten to death and loudly. It drives me nuts every time I turn it on to bleed out the fish.

My breaker has never tripped and I can run the pump at 30+ mph. It is just the bushings in the powerhead that are toast. When you turn it on it sounds like someone is being beaten to death and loudly. It drives me nuts every time I turn it on to bleed out the fish.
mine will trip breaker if Im moving to fast.

@scrimmy... I replaced my live well pump a few years back and yes it's difficult to get at them through that small access hole. These aluminum fishing boats never make access to anything easy such as steering and shift cables or running transducer cables etc., etc. 😬

@scrimmy... I replaced my live well pump a few years back and yes it's difficult to get at them through that small access hole. These aluminum fishing boats never make access to anything easy such as steering and shift cables or running transducer cables etc., etc. 😬
Yes it is Bob. I am hoping to just replace the head on the pump so I don't have to take off the hose or remove the body from the transom. I am going to try and stick my steel chisel down to depress the red tab and then try and turn the head counter clockwise. If I can do this then all I have to do is put on the new head and hook up the 2 wires. If I can't then it is removing the whole pump unit which is 4 times the work. I have all fall and winter to do it so no biggie. If I look down the access hole I can't even see the pump as it is hidden on the other side of the transom gusset. I can only go by feel so getting the chisel in the right spot will be a challenge.

You think yours is bad. I have to replace the livewell/washdown pump in my Trophy Pro. The only access is through a 8"" round access port in the engine well..which is blocked from the rear by the engine. The port is at the bottom of the well which is 3' deep...so I have to hang upside down over the side of the engine well and try to unhook the pump and hoses that are another 2 feet down in the hull..all through an 8" hole.

I don't think so......

Yes it is Bob. I am hoping to just replace the head on the pump so I don't have to take off the hose or remove the body from the transom. I am going to try and stick my steel chisel down to depress the red tab and then try and turn the head counter clockwise. If I can do this then all I have to do is put on the new head and hook up the 2 wires. If I can't then it is removing the whole pump unit which is 4 times the work. I have all fall and winter to do it so no biggie. If I look down the access hole I can't even see the pump as it is hidden on the other side of the transom gusset. I can only go by feel so getting the chisel in the right spot will be a challenge.
Oh boy that sounds like a challenge all right. My pump was just clamped both ends on a hose away from the the transom outlet fitting and it was bad enough to remove and replace. Hope the chisel works for you. Do you happen to have one of those telescoping inspection mirrors like in the photo? With the help of a light inside it may make it a lot easier to see what you're doing.
1632156876895.png

Oh boy that sounds like a challenge all right. My pump was just clamped both ends on a hose away from the the transom outlet fitting and it was bad enough to remove and replace. Hope the chisel works for you. Do you happen to have one of those telescoping inspection mirrors like in the photo? With the help of a light inside it may make it a lot easier to see what you're doing.
View attachment 50073
Yes Bob I do have a telescoping inspection mirror as I have been a licensed mechanic since 1980. The problem is I only have an 8" round access port hole and can only get 1 arm down the hole. The pump is not visible from the outside to the eye and I only know its there because when I put an arm down the hole and contort it around the Aluminum Gusset I can feel it. I will get it changed even if I have to remove the whole thing. I will try jamming the chisel on with my right hand and then remove my right arm and then try to turn the head with my left hand. Over the years I have had to think up some weird and wonderful ways to repair trucks and trailers so this is just another challenge. I will let you know what works when I figure it out.

You think yours is bad. I have to replace the livewell/washdown pump in my Trophy Pro. The only access is through a 8"" round access port in the engine well..which is blocked from the rear by the engine. The port is at the bottom of the well which is 3' deep...so I have to hang upside down over the side of the engine well and try to unhook the pump and hoses that are another 2 feet down in the hull..all through an 8" hole.

I don't think so......
DaveJ mine is the same 8" hole at the engine well and I have to lower the engine all the way and then lay down in the boat facing the transom and then try and stick 1 arm down the hole and feel around the gusset to find the pump. I need way smaller arms and longer ones too.

And I complain that I have to disassemble the back of the boat for access, but once done I can see all the pumps, hoses and wiring and fit both of my "slender" arms into the cavity and work on anything required.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks