ELBOW / LIGHTHOUSE

Edmcl

Had a great opportunity with my buddies to get out to the elbow on sat ... winds were N/E at 10 little bumpy nothing to be concerned as a wins shift was comming and she will settle down in the pm . Getting closer to the elbow 55 fw we marked lots so we decided to start and go to deeper water saw a trawler laying bottom nets and as we got out to deeper water Donna F was trawling east and west . Looking closer i could see as many as 6 trawlers going east and west .... and a blank screen on the fish finder from that point on .....At 55 feet we were hitting sheppies and silvers no eyes ... listening to the chatter on 68 ....south side was where its at ... so we went sw off the Light House and the screen went thick with large MARKS started getting knock offs and some eyes there .... saw boats as far as 4 miles down but ya need a graet day down here as there is little help if ya need any help ..... not sure how long it will take to migrate the eyes around the point again ..... but she was empty on
our finder ....just a heads up for a honest report to group ... tights lines
20210828_121616[1].jpg 20210828_124433[1].jpg 20210828_121633[1].jpg

Hi I am confused by your report . Did you mark lots of fish in 55 FOW at the elbow and then go to the light house and see to marks?

As you can see on the Navigation sounder pic the lat and long puts you southe west of the long point lighthouse

As you can see on the Navigation sounder pic the lat and long puts you southe west of the long point lighthouse
We left turkey point and head 130 on the compass till we hit 55 fw and had marks thats where we hit the sheepies and silvers for clarification

We left turkey point and head 130 on the compass till we hit 55 fw and had marks thats where we hit the sheepies and silvers for clarification
Thank-you for clarifying that. This is the first year with a fish finder chart plotter on the boat. Is does all kinds of sh.. I have not figured out yet including knowing were the lats and longs position me on the lake. I have been fishing old school landmark style for many years. Its going to take me awhile to transition over.

Newbie here , what is this elbow your talking about? Were you out of PT Burwell?
The Elbow refers to a curve in a shelf that runs from Nanticoke in the direction Of Turkey point ( E to W) then curves south (elbow) to the lighthouse on the tip of Long Point. If you look at any erie chart you will see the contour lines making up the elbow. Dont waste your time and fuel this year yet. It has sucked bad for the most part.

The Donna F is a smelt trawler.I believe they traw in trawl in tandem with other smelt trawlers.Thats why you saw several commercials together.

If the Donna F is netting smelt you would think the walleye and bows are close by feeding ..

Trawlers often fish for smelt in the region especially north of the lighthouse. I second Browntrout's post and have witnessed the activity many times.

Heres a screen shot from south side of lighthouse Sat aft. Challenging to get them to hit. Full bellies from that mass of bait on bottom?

Attachments

• 3533FE45-D34C-416A-8A56-E5432AD5DC69.jpeg
    3533FE45-D34C-416A-8A56-E5432AD5DC69.jpeg
    364.1 KB · Views: 42
This was a week ago just off the tip of the light house. Same thing. Not much action.

Attachments

• 84D06B7A-E268-4303-AB28-D2B072E61480.jpeg
    84D06B7A-E268-4303-AB28-D2B072E61480.jpeg
    423.5 KB · Views: 26
MAN that's a screen full! I have been fishing farther west at the same depth shown on your last screen photo and have hit some fairly active patches of both walleye and bow. I was targeting those depths based on info from the Glasgow regulars and the data worked well further west at Erieau. Funny that it worked west but not east - I am not sure if there is any predictability in patterns here or if I have just had some dumb luck with timing in my case. Even during the hottest action I never saw a screen to match the ones you posted here though. Here's to hoping perserverence eventually pays off. If there wasn't a few unexplained dry spells though we wouldn't appreciate the exceptional days when they come along. I have actually heard some bitching at the marina about getting limits too quickly, if you can imagine that. Next time I'm out I will try to stampede some east. Tight lines and keep the faith.

Alphafoul

I have never seen the lighthouse from that angle. It's a really long way out at the speeds I can travel. I know the photo was intended to show the lighthouse but I couldn't help but notice the high-vis line on the reels in the foreground. A couple of newbie questions here...

I was wondering about whether the visibility affects the bite. I know that one of the selling points points of fluoro and more muted colours of mono and braid are that the fish are less likely to see it.

Do you use a longer leader to make the brighter colour of the main line less of a factor?

Thanks in advance for entertaining what some might view as another dumb question and sorry for sending your post down a rabbit hole Edmcl.

Alphafoul

I have never seen the lighthouse from that angle. It's a really long way out at the speeds I can travel. I know the photo was intended to show the lighthouse but I couldn't help but notice the high-vis line on the reels in the foreground. A couple of newbie questions here...

I was wondering about whether the visibility affects the bite. I know that one of the selling points points of fluoro and more muted colours of mono and braid are that the fish are less likely to see it.

Do you use a longer leader to make the brighter colour of the main line less of a factor?

Thanks in advance for entertaining what some might view as another dumb question and sorry for sending your post down a rabbit hole Edmcl.
It helps you see the angle of the line at a quick glance. Those are also pulling dipsy divers. So there is a whole other factor there. And that day I was running brand new white/glow in the dark dipsys. Had all my hits on the white dipsy and zero on the black. I am quite new to this method of fishing but you line will tell you all kinds of information on what’s happening in the water.

but yes it’s long ride depending on the conditions. If you can ride 30mph its quick trip. But when it’s rocking out there it can be a while lol. No cell service. So radio is a smart investment at that point.

Thanks for the tips. I can imagine the high-vis lines are much easier to see, I was afraid it would scare off some more timid species if they could see it clearly too. Your experience would indicate otherwise. When I re-spool one of my reels I may use a high- vid line and do a side-by side show and tell.

Back