Battery buckle problem’s

live2fish

Last year I had one of my deep cycle battery strap buckles become brittle and break when I went to add water to the cells. My boats a crestliner superhawk so the batteries are under the dash and not easy to just lift straight up to take from the trays. Today my other buckle did the same as last years other battery buckle. But last year I put on a new style for that battery. I can’t seem to find the buckle types anywhere and only the one in the yellow strap pic. The yellow strap is had to tighten in the small space and even harder to get off to bring the battery out. Has anyone else had the plastic buckle become brittle? The plastic in the new pain in the ass style (yellow strap) hasn’t become brittle but I’d like to replace the one that just broke with a east to take off style that won’t become brittle and break apart. Anyone else have this issue or know where I can get better buckle? I’ve looked damn near everywhere.
4728EC5C-5EA9-464E-B499-DFB223E6AF10.jpeg

Attachments

• 6D5F11A7-A057-4FD8-B553-07CC0242A06F.jpeg
    6D5F11A7-A057-4FD8-B553-07CC0242A06F.jpeg
    207 KB · Views: 14
I've used an old leather belt in a previous boat. Worked fine.

I use small ratcheting straps. I cut off all fixed end and just loop a section of strapping around the battery and through what ever it needs to go through on the tray and put both ends through the ratchet and cinch them up. I use two 31 group truck batteries for my main and two of the same for my electric trolling motor. No issues.

THE Ratchet straps are a great idea....can never seem to get the buckle style quite tight enough
Thanks

The standard size ratchet straps are a bit big and tough to get to position properly and could be an issue in a compartment with tighter clearance. I’ll try to find where the smaller ones came from. I’m sure Amazon can have some to you by breakfast tomorrow.🤪 It was my father in laws work around for the exact problem you are having. Ended up working really well.

The standard size ratchet straps are a bit big and tough to get to position properly and could be an issue in a compartment with tighter clearance. I’ll try to find where the smaller ones came from. I’m sure Amazon can have some to you by breakfast tomorrow.🤪 It was my father in laws work around for the exact problem you are having. Ended up working really well.
I use one of the small pull style straps not the ratchet type it works fantastic had it on the boat 7 or 8 years now

Lashing straps (cam lock) are pretty good. Xstrap 4 pack from Amazon is $20 or so and my set has survived 2 seasons of canoeing.

On my boat I use 3/4" Erickson mini ratchet straps for a nice tight fit. Good for the quad and canoe too. Can't beat em.

Go to summit racing.com order a proper battery hold down. Belts are for holding your pants up. Not stopping a 50 lb battery from moving when your bouncing across 4 footers. Also if you crack it with a ratchet strap have fun with the acid leaking. It's a boat not your high School beater.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks