Off Topic Shimano Tekota 500HG LC

Wave Runner

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
I can't get the Penn Fathom 2 LC I want until at least spring of 2022 because of order back logs at Penn. I was wondering if some on here have the new Shimano Tekota HGLC reels that may be able to answer a question I have. I can get 2 new Tekotas no problem but do you find the left side location of the line counter interferes with your left arm holding the rod? I wondered myself just looking at it in the photos but I also find it mentioned in some of the reviews. I have some Rapala Hydros that I find interferes somewhat but the LC is located much higher than on the Tekota. So I think the lower location will present an even bigger problem. The Penn Fathom is perfectly located on the right side of the reel leaving my left arm unhindered by the LC. What say you and TIA. :)
download (1280x482).jpgPenn-Fathom-II-FTHII20LWLC-Level-Wind-Line-Counter-Reel.jpg
330777139_MainImage_001.jpg

Last edited:
Yes I have 4 of them. It depends on how picky you are. It doesn’t bother me at all. I could see that it may trouble some folks especially if they hold the rod really close to the reel. I tend to hold a little higher and rest the rod butt against my body. They are the smoothest of reels in my opinion and I have no regrets owning them.

Fathoms are an absolutely magnificent reels @Wave Runner . I personally have 10 of them... something that has to do with last boxing day and income tax return :) . Squalls are good too. There is also Squall II out next week, you can order it too. My weakness is left-handed reels and LOTS of space for backing, and therefore Penns size 30 are an absolute winner. Did you call Peters Tackle and Angling Outfitters?

I agree about the Fathoms being fantastic. I only have 2 right now but want to add 2 more. I called Angling Outfitters and they have them in stock whereas everyone else I contacted were sold out except for LH models and can't get any RH until at least spring because of the covid back log. The only thing is they want $90 more each than I paid last time from my other retailer which really surprised me. So I have to decide if I wanna wait or pay more to buy now. :unsure:

Yes I have 4 of them. It depends on how picky you are. It doesn’t bother me at all. I could see that it may trouble some folks especially if they hold the rod really close to the reel. I tend to hold a little higher and rest the rod butt against my body. They are the smoothest of reels in my opinion and I have no regrets owning them.
Thanks for the reply. I would not have any qualms about the new upgraded Tekota they have now. They run comparable reviews in almost all categories including price with the Penn Fathom 2. Speed wise they are 6.3 ratio 38" per crank compared to the the Fathom at 5.5 ratio 30" per crank. What holds me back is the left side counter location which I think will drive me crazy after owning the Rapala Hydros as I just hold the rod closer to front of the reel. The Fathoms are also extremely smooth and powerful with a massive main gear. The 2 I have now are by far the best reels I have ever owned and would be nice to match them up. Both the Tekota and the Fathom will handle most anything in the ocean so certainly won't have any problem beating down anything the Great Lakes has to offer including the largest of king salmon.

I have 4 of the old style with line counter in same place. No issue in fitting my Cisco or scotty holders. Good reels and I am hard on stuff. High crank ratios helps surfing in the small ones. Smooth drag as well.

I think that while Tekota wins a little bit in gear ratio, it is an incredible small reel for most of my setups, plus the ugly line counter on the side. Even for the downrigger reel for O it is kinda small. May be a dipsy reel and that's it. What a poor marketing for them, I would appreciate left-handed 700 and 800 tekotas. Penns are great, and their drag beats everything else. They are so comfortable to hold on the rod, I just love them. But I understand reels is a personal stuff for many.

Cabelas have the size 20 for $299 and will have them on sale sooner or later. There will always be another boxing day. Last year Peters Tackle had them for $239 !!!

Bob,
Go with the Tekota 500. You'll love it. It is best trolling reel. I have number of Tekotas of different generations. Lots of tournament/competitive anglers use them.
Was given one 500HGLCA as a gift last year. Best reel I have. Better than Daiwas, other Tekotas, and Okuma. Amazing quality and drag. Not to mention - it looks sexy too :cool: I've used as rigger setup and dipsy as well.

No brainer with 6.3:1 ratio.
Best resale value as well!

Go for it and you'll be glad you did.

Cheers,
Ice Fisherman

Yeah the biggest Tekota @vmuravin in a left hand LC is the TEK601HGLCA which hold 300 yds. of 20 lb. mono or 540 yds. of 40 lb. braid. You can get the Penn Fathom 2 up to a 50 size which is too big for here. The last 2 size 20s Fathoms I bought from Pro Tackle but nobody is selling them anywhere close to that now they're $300+ if you can get them. The Tekota 500HGA LC is $289.99 at CTC online. It's also a nice reel but that left side LC digging into my left wrist turns me off.

Last edited:
I have an older Tekota 500, smooth drag but clicky. Good for dipsy or a board and thas how I use it. No problem with the linecounter on the left for me

Bob,
Go with the Tekota 500. You'll love it. It is best trolling reel. I have number of Tekotas of different generations. Lots of tournament/competitive anglers use them.
Was given one 500HGLCA as a gift last year. Best reel I have. Better than Daiwas, other Tekotas, and Okuma. Amazing quality and drag. Not to mention - it looks sexy too :cool: I've used as rigger setup and dipsy as well.

No brainer with 6.3:1 ratio.
Best resale value as well!

Go for it and you'll be glad you did.

Cheers,
Ice Fisherman
Hey Emil you did come out from under the ice last winter. 😁
Thanks for chiming in here my friend. I realize this new Tekota is an exceptional reel but so is the Penn Fathom 2 which I have 2 of now. How do find that left side LC on your left wrist when playing fish doesn't it interfere? Even on some of the videos they mention it does although not as annoying as the old Tekota with a LC. The Fathom 2 20LWLC is more compact yet holds the same amount of line as the TEK500HGLCA. Yeah it's a tad slower at 5.5 ratio but does pull 6 lbs. more drag than the Tekota at 30 lbs. to 24 lbs. Although that's meaningless I suppose because 24 lbs. of drag is exponentially more than needed for any freshwater fish anyway. I don't think we can go wrong with either because both are fantastic reels according to all the reviews and I sure like the ones I have.

Honestly, I have a bunch of tekotas from old to new. With the exception of some daiwa saltists for leadcore that I bought off Horty some years back, they are my only trolling reels. I love em, the drag is smooth like glass and they will stop an angry king on a wire dive like no-ones business. The side counter has never troubled me and I have never found them to be too small for the role they fill. That said, I ditched my copper lines strictly in favor of lead because I couldn't stand the stuff. I do run a saltist 50 for my 10 color but that is the biggest trolling reel I own. Even my 5's and 7's I run on 30 size reels with 30lb power pro backing but I don't use 27lb leadcore either I use the 15or 17lb stuff and still use it for Kings with good success in the spring. If your sold on the Penn's then nothing else will do and I'd wait for em. If not, I can't imagine you'll be disappointed in a tekota!

I have an older Tekota 500, smooth drag but clicky. Good for dipsy or a board and thas how I use it. No problem with the linecounter on the left for me
LC doesn't interfere at all with your wrist/arm at all or just okay?

Hi @Wave Runner ...just to add

I have a pair of shimano Tekotas TEK500HGA mounted on a pair of Shimano Talora rods TLA-90L2A (9' light action)
These Tekotas are an upgrade from my 2 Diawa sealine 27H level winds..the sealines have done me well since 1985 and are still cranking in fish this season..no line counters on either of these reels..so I cant really comment on the Tekota linecounter being a hindrance.

my Tekotas are spooled up with 14lb Gamma..which is plenty for me on erie for off the riggers and running crankbaits..I really like them..there shimano smooth, there light with calibrated drag and lots of crank, gear ratio is 6.3 to 1
I was able to buy my 2 tekotas new from cabelas february sale 2020..for $497. that included tax & shipping..

I agree with what @Porkpie said If your sold on the Penn's then nothing else will do and I'd wait for em. If not, I can't imagine you'll be disappointed in a tekota!

1626615025873.png

After much thought I took @icefisherman advice who's recommendation I totally respect so decided to bring home 2 new Tekota 500 HGLC reels today. Emil would make a great car salesman because he sure sold me. 😂 So what do I think? Well Hmmmm... don't get me wrong it is a nice reel but.... honestly they seem like they have sand in them when winding compared to the super smoothness of my Penn Fathom 2. The auto engage takes 3 times the effort when I turn the handle to pick up the spool which I really don't like because it's easier flipping the lever by hand. The left side counter isn't as much of a hindrance as I thought it might be however I still prefer the right side LC on the Penn. Overall I'm not sure I made the right decision after spending $677. I'm not blaming Emil because it was my decision. He said he has never had a Fathom 2 in his hands when I asked him but that all the Tekotas he has have been stellar reels for him and strongly believes these are the best yet. I was contemplating returning them however they have no Fathom 15 size in RH to exchange them with. Same deal can't get them until next spring like all the other retailers. So I got the Shimano now and I'm sure they are as good as so many think they are. Although it may turn out to be like owning 2 great cars but one is simply more fun to drive. 😁

PXL_20210718_193332490.jpg

Last edited:
Back