Blue walleye from burwell ????

HawgHauler

Caught this one last sat. Sure looked like it had a blue hue to it to me. But u decide for yourself. Especially if u look at the cheek. Not as blue as the ones I’ve caught at the French river but definitely different then the rest in the cooler.

Attachments

• 76800F15-FB2E-41C3-9E50-BFD1024B9FC6.jpeg
    76800F15-FB2E-41C3-9E50-BFD1024B9FC6.jpeg
    319 KB · Views: 193
According to the MNR

The Campbell Status Report of 1985 officially declared the Blue Walleye extinct. The last Blue Walleye to be officially recognized as a Blue Walleye by the MNR was caught in Lake Erie in 1965. Walleyes being caught now that appear blue are just regular Walleyes but the acidity of the water made them blue. In actuality, it's a bacterium that thrives in acid water and colonizes on a fish's skin and changes its skin color.

Definitely not a different species. Have never caught a walleye that color in Lake Erie but caught many in N.W Quebec where about one in four was blue.

Caught this one last sat. Sure looked like it had a blue hue to it to me. But u decide for yourself. Especially if u look at the cheek. Not as blue as the ones I’ve caught at the French river but definitely different then the rest in the cooler.
Never seen one before, sure are different, thanks for the pics

In the Marten River we've caught a few Blue Pike in the past. Folks don't believe it until they see the picture.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks