Dipsy Divers

I bought two of those things.

First time using it, trolling along line pops inside the slide Diver. No hit, just trolling.

It and the lure are sitting on the bottom in Erie.

The second one is sitting on a shelf in my garage.

Nothing wrong with the stuff I use.

Forgive my determination on this, I am very excited about these, they have put way more fish in my boat over the last two years vs traditional divers. I would say they are as effective as leadcore on planer boards... Yes, I said it!

The advantages of Slide Divers in my opinion far outweigh the learning curve required to use them.
Here are some pros and cons
Pros for Slide Divers
1. you can have as long of a lead behind the diver as you want.
2. the light bite can be triggered by the smallest walleye. No more dragging fish around
3. once released, the diver sides down the line to the stopper, allowing for a very short lead while trying to net the fish... 2 - 3' instead of 6 - 8'. So easier to net, and shorter rods can be used
4. they have a much wider range of settings, so in the spring for example you can set it to 5 or 6 instead of 3 and they go way more to the side and stay closer to the surface, but still allowing the lure to be well behind the boat or close... its your choice
5. no need for storage solutions
6. no need for snubbers

Cons
1. Few colours to choose, clear or black
2. learning curve, you need to learn how to get the line out and set them up, it can be tricky at first
3. they stay on the rod, so you will need to figure out how to put them away that works on your boat
4. Availability, not everyone carries them, sometimes hard to find and if you want rings etc, pretty much need to order stuff online or in store.
5. Spare parts, you need to keep certain parts on the boat, such as the rubber bands, they wear out over time, I go through 2 a season per rod

I do not know how you lost one on the bottom of the lake, used correctly they are pretty much impossible to lose as they are on the line.
I would give the one you have left a fair chance, put it out with 25-50' of lead with your other dipseys and see which one gets the most bites.

A few hints,

My reels are set up with 50lb braid backing (could be 20lb mono), then 125 yards of Fireline (keeps the fleas off and has no stretch) then, 25 - 50' of mono 20lb. The diver is threaded onto the mono just below the Fireline. , then there is the bead, and a swivel, then your 2 - 3' leader and a snap swivel.
To deploy, you simply put the rod in a holder, hold the diver in one hand and peel out 25 - 50' lead, letting the lure out. Then lock the diver on the line, reset the counter on the reel, and drop the diver in the water, let it out as far as you like.

The best part of the light bite, if a lazy walleye bites, it will release and the tension on the rod will change. The angle of the line will change, it is very evident when there is a fish on.
Even if you didn't see the need for the slider portion of the diver, you could use them as traditional divers and just connect the leader line to the light bite arm, it will still operate as described above without the slide

I have been brainstorming ever since to figure out how to use a similar system for my planer boards. I couldn't count the amount of times I am packing up my gear at the end of the charter, and there's a lazy walleye hanging on to the leadcore. And I check them all the time!

Curious as to why use snubbers vrs not use snubbers????

@Derkd9 Snubbers stop the hook from getting pulled or the line breaking/knot pulling when you yank to release a traditional type Diver.

@Derkd9 this is a polarizing topic (some are pro-snubber, some are against) but I switched camps this year and I am very happy about it.

A snubber reduces the shock that the dipsy causes to the line when it opens and sets up. My biggest issue with snubbers is that they DO contribute to some losses because even once the fish is hooked, and even if you hooks are very sharp, the tension on the line may get reduced during fight due to snubber. I have removed the snubbers this season after some research / forums / talking to fellow fishermen. So far I had 1 loss on dipsy this season from about 70-80 hook ups, and it was right after the hook up, i.e. it probably was a poor hook up. I realize this is too small statistic yet last season I had approximately 1 in every 3-4 hook ups ending with a loss when using a snubber.

Now all that is for braid dipsy. Braid dipsy is almost 0 stretch but not an absolute 0 stretch when you take into account a 150-200 of braid out + 10ft long Seaguar STS 40 or 50 lb leader, which I am using (some use mono for an extra added stretch or $$$ reasons). I like this particular fluoro for dipsy leader because it is stiffer than the rest of the fluoros, i.e. dipsy opens up easier and it sustains the snubber-less hook up. Which is something definitely worth considering...

On wire dipsy, this is a different story - as I understand snubbers are a must as there is literally 0 stretch and a fish hooked up can either lose its head or damage your wire. First season on wire, so I did not try going snubber-less with it, and I probably won't...

Also, I am yet to try slide diver, just cannot keep up with all the toys that are there...

Thank you for the responses.
I have snubbers on all of mine
Maybe I try a couple without and see if I notice a difference

I tried everything to get slide diver to work because I thought they were a great idea. I wasted 2 years pissing around with them and gave up. Mysterious line cuts, unreliable tripping, and they just didn't put as many fish in the boat as dipsy divers when I fished them side by side. They look great on paper but I'd never touch another one.

I will never understand why some guys use such heavy line... Unless your bass fishing in the slop or throwing heavy musky lures, no need for any line over 30lb... IMO

I run snubbers religiously... I run wire divers... If a fish goes apeshit right behind the boat there is that little bit of forgiveness... I've had dipsey strikes that shake the boat on Ontario and BIG bows on Erie... I only use 20lb fluro leaders...

As long as you have confidence and success in what you run... Go for it... I like simple...

@jammer agreed, they only line I use that is more than 20lbs is braid, and that is used mostly just for backing.

I snub at using snubbers lol..I just find no need for them and not worth the hassel e.g. money storage and I ran one once and that was only rod that didn't fire. I use 20lb floro 5ft long with swivel for the lead. I set the tension on the real to click once in awhile so for those hard hits there is plenty of give. I find if you dont set the tension right you rip the hooks out the fish mouth. I fine tune the release on dipsy and never have issues. As far as storage I leave the lead on and unlatch the release pin and gently wind the lead from back to the release pin mount of few times to take up slack then lock the pin back on place. Just be careful not to pinch the line with locking in pin. I store all my dypsys in a satchel bag in a compartment in boat. Never a mess and easy peasy 😎🎣

I bought two of those things.

First time using it, trolling along line pops inside the slide Diver. No hit, just trolling.

It and the lure are sitting on the bottom in Erie.

The second one is sitting on a shelf in my garage.

Nothing wrong with the stuff I use.
I use the stealth method on my dipsy's, works great, you can have as long a leader as you want, easy to install & removes quickly from the line (make sure you keep tension on the line so you don't loose the fish, harder to do by yourself but if you have a buddy, let them do it) & you can bring the fish right up as close to your tip of your pole as you want.

On Google type in how to run stealth dipsy diver salmon walleye trout & watch the video on U-Tube

I just wrap the snubber and Floro around my hand a slide it in a medium ziplock bag, then they go into a 2 1/2 gallon pail with the rod holders. Pretty simple.

Attachments

• PXL_20210709_190802013.jpg
    PXL_20210709_190802013.jpg
    359.6 KB · Views: 8
@newbe72 awesome. This might even be better then slidedivers. I bet you could use the same method with slide divers to have the advantage of the light bite but no need to install permanently on the line!

I will never understand why some guys use such heavy line... Unless your bass fishing in the slop or throwing heavy musky lures, no need for any line over 30lb... IMO

I run snubbers religiously... I run wire divers... If a fish goes apeshit right behind the boat there is that little bit of forgiveness... I've had dipsey strikes that shake the boat on Ontario and BIG bows on Erie... I only use 20lb fluro leaders...

As long as you have confidence and success in what you run... Go for it... I like simple...
I try harnesses. I started tying with 15 lb and found the teeth could break the line 👎🏻. 20 lb is great if your ready to retie and probably more sensitive. I now use 30 lb for my harnesses and feel confident with that strength for numerous outings. Btw Seagar is ok, soft and easy to work with but I alway add 5 lb compared to a better quality Tirk line… simple is best!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks