Fishing Report DAMN, apparently I left just before STOMP showed up.

@stomp posted earlier that he made his way down to the pier today but I wasn't there. https://www.longpoint.on.ca/forum/index.php?threads/pt-bruce-wave-report.86324/#:~:text=Pt. Bruce Wave Report

BUT I WAS........from 6:30am until 2:45pm on the west side of the pier right beside the light tower. Betty's didn't have any live minnows so I didn't stop and just caught my own this morning (lots this morning, not so many later in the day tho and then it got to rough to try to catch'em) I must have left just before @stomp showed up. DAMN. Would've been nice to meet him. Sorry I missed you @stomp

I had a good day AND I did well with this catching thing we all like doing when we go fishing. @Hooked on Ice came to visit me today so he knows I was there and he saw what I had in my basket at the time he was there (11 coming for a ride at that time. I caught more) but knowing him, he'll say he never saw me today. :ROFLMAO:

Today's numbers.
1 Rock Bass.
10 Sheephead.
Caught 15 Yellow perch, came home with 18 (3 were given to me.) All between 8"-11" (more were closer to the 11" today tho than most other days.) After today my total yellow perch catch numbers are still down a little bit from last year, however not by much now, but my total yellow perch kept this year now exceeds last year's numbers. I don't expect to be going again this week until maybe Wednesday and if not Wednesday, it'll be Friday provided the weather forecasts don't change for the worse.
Perch don't seem to be in big numbers yet this year, has anyone caught a lot yet??

Need a casting cannon
My buddies in Cuba are almost as good as a cannon I've never seen anyone that can cast like them. They are not allowed to own a boat and couldn't afford one anyway so to get to the deep water from shore you need a cannon arm and man have they got one. They had to do all the casting for me in order to fish because I couldn't get half the distance they were throwing it. 🙃

Perch don't seem to be in big numbers yet this year, has anyone caught a lot yet??
No, you're right they haven't come in like they have in previous years (yet) in any consistent size or numbers and there haven't been any caught that I'm aware of that would be considered "jumbo's." Some nice ones in the 12" range, but they've been few and far between. It's been a steady diet of what usually happens in early June. Sometimes they're there, sometimes they're not. Sometimes they have some size to them, sometimes they don't with a lot of too small to keep mixed in here and there. Sheephead, white perch and silver bass although around, haven't been around like they have in the past either. I think it has a lot to do with the water being lower and not as warm as it usually is by the end of June into July. I'm hoping after yesterday's success that they're just being fashionably late this year, but I've been hoping that for weeks now.:cautious:

Now as to your question has anyone caught a lot yet? Yeah, ME.😁 But I've had to work for them and put in some long days.😅 and if you ever meet me on the pier, you'll see just how cooked my arms and neck are as a result (which gets me yelled at) :ROFLMAO: I don't keep white perch or silver bass, I give them away or throw them back, so when I give you these numbers, I'm talking yellow perch only.

I've been going at least twice a week since June 4, some weeks I've gone 3 times. I'm probably going to go tomorrow morning. I've been skunked 3x this year, and while not unheard of, it's a bit unusual (twice on back to back days without a bite on either day June 16 and 17 and that's strange for that time of June.) but going that often and putting in the time has paid off. So far this year I've caught 121 and kept 102, some we've eaten, some I gave to a neighbor, some are still enjoying our hospitality with some pretty nice accommodations in our freezer. (They're not complaining if they don't like the accommodations ;)) and being that's ALL from the pier in Pt Bruce, those are some very decent numbers considering they haven't really come in yet and might not.

That catch number is a little lower than what I did last year, but I'm thinking I'll at least meet the catch number and I've already exceeded how many I kept last year. (134 caught all of last year. All between June 6-30 with one skunk mixed in there. All were caught from the pier in Pt Bruce. I Kept 95.) In fact I've done better this year in number of perch kept than I have over the past 4 years (since I went out with @misty river 4 years ago today,) but like I said, I've had to work for them and put in some long days to have that kind of success.

It's definitely not like the days of memory where you bait your hook, cast, bait hits water, fish hits bait before you close the bail on your reel, fish gets reeled in and goes in basket, repeat, go home in a couple hours with a limit, all of them 12+" I think those days are long gone, although there might be a day or two like that at least once every season. Last year that was June 19th and 22nd, but both of those days were also, here then gone, then back and ended up being long days to get the limit on the 19th, and the 20 more on the 22nd.

Last edited:
No, you're right they haven't come in like they have in previous years (yet) in any consistent size or numbers and there haven't been any caught that I'm aware of that would be considered "jumbo's." Some nice ones in the 12" range, but they've been few and far between. It's been a steady diet of what usually happens in early June. Sometimes they're there, sometimes they're not. Sometimes they have some size to them, sometimes they don't with a lot of too small to keep mixed in here and there. Sheephead, white perch and silver bass although around, haven't been around like they have in the past either. I think it has a lot to do with the water being lower and not as warm as it usually is by the end of June into July. I'm hoping after yesterday's success that they're just being fashionably late this year, but I've been hoping that for weeks now.:cautious:

Now as to your question has anyone caught a lot yet? Yeah, ME.😁 But I've had to work for them and put in some long days.😅 and if you ever meet me on the pier, you'll see just how cooked my arms and neck are as a result (which gets me yelled at) :ROFLMAO: I don't keep white perch or silver bass, I give them away or throw them back, so when I give you these numbers, I'm talking yellow perch only.

I've been going at least twice a week since June 4, some weeks I've gone 3 times. I'm probably going to go tomorrow morning. I've been skunked 3x this year, and while not unheard of, it's a bit unusual (twice on back to back days without a bite on either day June 16 and 17 and that's strange for that time of June.) but going that often and putting in the time has paid off. So far this year I've caught 121 and kept 102, some we've eaten, some I gave to a neighbor, some are still enjoying our hospitality with some pretty nice accommodations in our freezer. (They're not complaining if they don't like the accommodations ;)) and being that's ALL from the pier in Pt Bruce, those are some very decent numbers considering they haven't really come in yet and might not.

That catch number is a little lower than what I did last year, but I'm thinking I'll at least meet the catch number and I've already exceeded how many I kept last year. (134 caught all of last year. All between June 6-30 with one skunk mixed in there. All were caught from the pier in Pt Bruce. I Kept 95.) In fact I've done better this year in number of perch kept than I have over the past 4 years (since I went out with @misty river 4 years ago today,) but like I said, I've had to work for them and put in some long days to have that kind of success.

It's definitely not like the days of memory where you bait your hook, cast, bait hits water, fish hits bait before you close the bail on your reel, fish gets reeled in and goes in basket, repeat, go home in a couple hours with a limit, all of them 12+" I think those days are long gone, although there might be a day or two like that at least once every season. Last year that was June 19th and 22nd, but both of those days were also, here then gone, then back and ended up being long days to get the limit on the 19th, and the 20 more on the 22nd.
Thanks Trevor M, being patient might be the word of the day, if you build it they will come

Thanks Trevor M, being patient might be the word of the day, if you build it they will come
Patience when perch fishin from the pier is an absolute MUST. They might be there at 7am, gone by 7:15am, back again by 8, gone again by 8:30, back again at 10. etc. Or they might be there when you get there, disappear for hours and then show up again, or vice versa not there for hours then suddenly, there they are. OR they just might not be there at all, and on those days, that's when you hope for ANY fish, even a goby sometimes just to say you caught something:LOL:

Back