Fishing Report June 29th SM Inner Bay

Rob V

After a disappointing day SM fishing in the wind on Sunday (1 for 3) I had a little time Tuesday so I thought I’d give’er another try. Didn’t get started until 11:15. Thinking I had missed the best part of the day (early morning) I didn’t expect much. To my surprise the small mouth were on fire. I went 21 for 25 by 3:45. Great average size of somewhere in the 18 inch range. Largest fish was just over 20 inches. Kept 3 of the smallest for the frying pan and the rest were released alive and well. All were caught with a 4 inch stick bait (rapala suspending). Long casts with a jerk retrieve. Got a visit from the MNR (in a 15-16 foot tiny !) who was checking for licence and numbers of fish kept. Almost disappointed he didn’t ask to see my brand new fire extinguisher (or any other safety equipment) I just purchased thanks to info on this site ! Pleasant enough guy doing his job. Glad to see them out. Since I planned on fishing north of the channel I decided to launch out of Collin’s Harbour for a change. I’m a loyal old cut guy but I gotta say Collin’s facility is pretty nice/well organized and spacious albeit $5/launch more. Real nice looking fish cleaning facility included in your launch fee though.

After a disappointing day SM fishing in the wind on Sunday (1 for 3) I had a little time Tuesday so I thought I’d give’er another try. Didn’t get started until 11:15. Thinking I had missed the best part of the day (early morning) I didn’t expect much. To my surprise the small mouth were on fire. I went 21 for 25 by 3:45. Great average size of somewhere in the 18 inch range. Largest fish was just over 20 inches. Kept 3 of the smallest for the frying pan and the rest were released alive and well. All were caught with a 4 inch stick bait (rapala suspending). Long casts with a jerk retrieve. Got a visit from the MNR (in a 15-16 foot tiny !) who was checking for licence and numbers of fish kept. Almost disappointed he didn’t ask to see my brand new fire extinguisher (or any other safety equipment) I just purchased thanks to info on this site ! Pleasant enough guy doing his job. Glad to see them out. Since I planned on fishing north of the channel I decided to launch out of Collin’s Harbour for a change. I’m a loyal old cut guy but I gotta say Collin’s facility is pretty nice/well organized and spacious albeit $5/launch more. Real nice looking fish cleaning facility included in your launch fee though.
Nice report and good fishing!! A buddy and I are possibly heading out tomorrow, was there a specific depth that worked better than others? I was out opening day drifting with leeches and only managed 7, but I was happy with that considering the weather. Thanks

Nice report and good fishing!! A buddy and I are possibly heading out tomorrow, was there a specific depth that worked better than others? I was out opening day drifting with leeches and only managed 7, but I was happy with that considering the weather. Thanks
most fish were caught in water 7-9 feet deep

Don't catch them all, leave some for me, great fishing. Never been stopped by MNR before, they have a job to do & if your not breaking the rules you have nothing to worry about, they keep the fisher healthy & plentiful

I’ve seen a couple people talk about “the channel”, being new to long point where is that. I just found out what the elbow was thanks to the map on here the other day. Not what I figured it was or where it would be lol.

I’ve seen a couple people talk about “the channel”, being new to long point where is that. I just found out what the elbow was thanks to the map on here the other day. Not what I figured it was or where it would be lol.
the channel runs (roughly) East west through the inner bay to the outer bay and is marked by red and green buoys - see below (EC1/3/6 etc)
Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 12.35.04 PM.png- m

As another new 68 member just moved into this region, this map and information sharing is much appreciated. It's hard to start learning new waters at this age! BTW - I am willing to trade LSC, Erieau, and Rondeau Bay tips for LPB information!

I was out on Tuesday from 8-noon in about 6 fow off what the map appears to show as the east side point of Little Rice Bay. Covered water fan casting while wind drifting and/or burning the trolling motor. Boated 3 of the 12-15 smallmouth that followed, turned, or hit. Biggest was a 19". All fish returned to keep swimming. Best searchbait for me was a white spinnerbait followed up with a twitched suspending white x-rap. And, like others, I was greeted by the CO at the dock when I got in. Nice guy doing his job - thanked him for his work.

I'll be turning my boat bow toward the channel areas mentioned by others tomorrow morning. If there are better methods or patterns for getting on to fish, I would gratefully accept some local and experienced knowledge. Tight lines everyone.

Any new members fishing the channel be careful on weekends and holidays. You are fishing the main navigation channel that leads to the marinas in the inner bay. Lots of high horsepower big boats come blasting through on their way out and in to pottahawk point. As annoying as it can be you are fishing in a navigation channel and should respect that.

Any new members fishing the channel be careful on weekends and holidays. You are fishing the main navigation channel that leads to the marinas in the inner bay. Lots of high horsepower big boats come blasting through on their way out and in to pottahawk point. As annoying as it can be you are fishing in a navigation channel and should respect that.
I second that !

Yup and they'll fly right by without a second thought. Not like they can help it on a busy weekend day you can't really drive away from boats since they're everywhere.

Just be ready to rescue a tinny full of kids that got swamped by a big wake.

For those of us with little tinnies, best to stay away from the channel.

Back