Fish Finder - Is bigger better?

Wave Runner

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
With eye sight not what it once was I have been looking to go with a bigger screen from my old 5 inch Humminbird 788CI. Really wanted a Lowrance HDS 9 Live with Nav+ but at $2,950 + tax that simply wasn't happening. :jawdrop: I found a great buy at $750 on a Lowrance Hook Reveal 9 HDI with Nav+ and another $100 off that with the online rebate so I pulled the trigger. Always had Humminbirds but thought I would try a Lowrance so hope I'm not disappointed. I only need the traditional chirp sonar I'm comfortable with so really don't need down or side imaging. I'm confident my new knee is now up to the task of crawling around inside the boat doing the install... I think. 😁
navicous-000-15533-001__01.jpg navicous-000-15533-001__02.jpg

Bigger is not better . I'm sure a 7' vs a 9' have the same tech but Way easier to see 9. I have a 9' screen now can't see me ever going smaller again. You will not regret stepping up. Come a long way from my first Eagle flasher in the 80s

Nice 👍 I wouldn’t mind a big screen just not sure where I’d put it ?

I whacked my knee getting in the boat in my driveway yesterday. It hurt pretty good so I got out of the boat standing there for a minute felt like I was going to pass out so I got inside as quick as possible and lay down on the floor. That’s when I felt the knee just start throbbing.. I could move it so I knew I didn’t break it. Must of hit a funny nerve or something hurt so bad!
oh and of course since I was on the floor Stella thought that meant play time!

I have the Helix 7 Sonar,GPS with Down image. I have the down image turned off, waste of money if you ask me.
The only reason I'd go with the Helix 9 it has 2 card slots.
If you go bigger how much more power does it draw? Still fishing, Live-well on, plus sonar on the main starting battery.

@Derkd9... Wow I hope you didn't tear your meniscus Derk. That's how my right knee started standing up in the tree stand after sitting still for 2 hours in the cold. Only got worse after that until I got my knee replacement. Let's just hope you just wrenched it or sprained it and nothing serious. How is it today?

@Derkd9... Wow I hope you didn't tear your meniscus Derk. That's how my right knee started standing up in the tree stand after sitting still for 2 hours in the cold. Only got worse after that until I got my knee replacement. Let's just hope you just wrenched it or sprained it and nothing serious. How is it today?
It’s not feeling too bad today can’t really even tell I did anything besides a little bruise!
Still can’t believe how it took me down tho
Never felt anything Ike it

I have the Helix 7 Sonar,GPS with Down image. I have the down image turned off, waste of money if you ask me.
The only reason I'd go with the Helix 9 it has 2 card slots.
If you go bigger how much more power does it draw? Still fishing, Live-well on, plus sonar on the main starting battery.
This Reveal feature apparently overlays the fish hooks from the chirp sonar onto the down imaging. This is to address the biggest complaint about down imaging that shows incredible structure but the fish only show up as very tiny dots. Anyway that's what they claim we'll see soon enough if it's any use at all.

Hook2 down imaging (on left) vs Hook Reveal down imaging with sonar overlay (on right)
1623686972770.png 1623686574506.png

Waverunner if don't mind me side tracking this thread for a second :) where do you get those sealer bags? Stuff in crappy tire is too expensive.

On a topic, my friend been though many generations of Lowrance but he was always getting a touch screen version, seem to be handy but lots of $. I'll need to get something this winter, hoping to see Humminbird release mega live before that and then decide which route to take

Waverunner if don't mind me side tracking this thread for a second :) where do you get those sealer bags? Stuff in crappy tire is too expensive.

On a topic, my friend been though many generations of Lowrance but he was always getting a touch screen version, seem to be handy but lots of $. I'll need to get something this winter, hoping to see Humminbird release mega live before that and then decide which route to take
Here's the website they are much cheaper especially in bulk and better quality than Food Saver. They have the rolls and bags as well which ever you prefer.

In this case a bigger box of vacuum sealer bags is better 👍

With eye sight not what it once was I have been looking to go with a bigger screen from my old 5 inch Humminbird 788CI. Really wanted a Lowrance HDS 9 Live with Nav+ but at $2,950 + tax that simply wasn't happening. :jawdrop: I found a great buy at $750 on a Lowrance Hook Reveal 9 HDI with Nav+ and another $100 off that with the online rebate so I pulled the trigger. Always had Humminbirds but thought I would try a Lowrance so hope I'm not disappointed. I only need the traditional chirp sonar I'm comfortable with so really don't need down or side imaging. I'm confident my new knee is now up to the task of crawling around inside the boat doing the install... I think. 😁
View attachment 43204 View attachment 43205
I had Lowrance on my old boat was happy with it
Than I upgraded to a Hummingbird 899 ci di
That is currently on my boat and a helix 7 at the bow That I also use for ice fishing
I'm not tech savvy so only use the regular sonar on the main but the bow I use the down image and love it
Only complain about the 899 is I wish had better results at higher speeds
I see boats with huge screens and multiple ones that makes the boat look like tilting to one side lol
I'm sure you will still get lots of fish in your boat @Wave Runner regardless big or small screen
You could do what I did get better glasses 👓😏🤣🤣

It's not just the screen size that matters you need to look at the resolution too just like a TV. The resolution is far better on the higher end units so mapping and DSI/sonar is way clearer. For example, the HDS-9 Live has 1280x720 pixels vs 800 x 480 pixels on the Hook 9. I don't see much difference running sonar but on the highly detailed maps and DSI it is far clearer and in some cases, the units dumb down the chart so it works on the screen (I noticed that on my Gen 3 vs the Live units). Is that plus the other features and higher power worth the extra money? I guess that is up to the user and whether they want to invest the time in learning how to use the higher tech features or not. By the way, Fish Reveal is amazing, you will love it!

@Wave Runner get the 12” spend your $$$ 😂. When I did the Wellcraft that’s what I installed on the center console. It’s easy to see when I’m at the back of the boat.
Today being a crappy day here at the cottage I decided to take a drive and maybe up grade my stereo on the boat. It had a cheap Kenwood radio and a 75w amp.
Well my new upgrade consisted of a new Fusion deck, JL Audio 600w amp 6 channel, JL Audio M6 7” speakers to match my existing ones. Now I will be able power up a total of 6 speakers🤯
All I really intended was to buy was a radio!!! Walked out of the store $2000.00 poorer😩. Guess I still have that teenager in me yet when it comes to music and I miss the sound system I had in the Maxum 😂😂

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks