Fishing Report Detroit River 04/16

G.Mech

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
A bit windy and cool this morning but it was the only day I could get out with Junior for a rare day of fishing with my favorite son. We launched at Lasalle at 7am and were on the fish early boating 8 nice ones the first hour. After that it got a bit tougher but managed our limits of mostly 22-26" fish by about noon. A few smalleyes were returned for future reference. The early fish were all caught tight to shore in 12-15 fow the others were in 20-25 fow on black/silver & pimp daddy Bondy minnows. All females were totally spawned out.

There was hardly anybody out today, we only saw about 8-10 boats on the Canadian side and no US boats whatsoever after the recent crackdown. Around noon, we tucked in behind a freighter at the salt mine to get out of the wind and clean our fish and the RCMP boat came right up into the little gap with blue lights blazing to check us out. When he realized we were Canadian he just said hello and left. He said he thought we were a US boat hiding; it looks like they a keeping a much closer eye on things than they were a couple of weeks ago.

IMG_20210416_1153572 (2).jpgIMG_20210416_1152091.jpg

Last edited:
Great report G. Mech. I've never had the chance to try fishing the Detroit river. Looks like a lot of early season fun down that way.

Glad we got out yesterday, the ramps are shutting down today. As of now, Chewitt & Lakeview are closed but LaSalle is still open just in case anybody is still thinking of heading down

For now...I don't think it was opened by the same folks who closed it..
From what I was told the city removed the blocks but just got word from a buddy from the area they might have it blocked off again tom3

From what I was told the city removed the blocks but just got word from a buddy from the area they might have it blocked off again tom3
Who knows anymore? I guess see what tomorrow brings but I don't really think I will be heading to the D again until things settle down anyway.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks