Off Topic Anyone need some Prime Rib?

Most of that was “mechanically tenderized”. It certainly tasted good but apparently you where gambling if you didn’t cook it all the way through, and who wants well done steak 🤮

Walmart used to have their AAA Angus Prime Rib on for $5.44 lb. about 3 times a year but I haven't seen it on for a couple years now. Too bad because it was excellent. :(

My brother has been a butcher for 40 years and has taught me a lot about what to look for when buying meat. Yes there is a difference between AA and AAA but it also depends on where that meat came from(country ?) and how it was treated(processed / aged ?). By the looks of the photo the marbling of the fat on those steaks looks good. The more it's marbled the better ! Age of the meat will also be factor in tenderness and flavour . The meat at his store is dry aged for 40 days and his signature cut is 1 1/2 inch thick for steaks. He would probably price a prime rib steak bone in at 30 to 32 bucks each so buying your own chunk of boeuf and cutting/packing your own will save a pile of money.

If you get the chance to look at a Wagyu beef steak you will see the ultimate in marbling and if you won on a lottery you may be able to afford one at 230 dollars a kilogram !

If you get the chance to look at a Wagyu beef steak you will see the ultimate in marbling and if you won on a lottery you may be able to afford one at 230 dollars a kilogram !
Even if I could, I wouldn't.

Excess like that doesn't appeal to me one bit. I am of simple needs and doing that just wouldn't be me. I can satisfy my needs for significantly less than that. LOL

Wife's Uncle had a lady friend, would see the exact same dress in a boutique and simple dress shop.

Always bought the far more expensive boutique dress just so she could say she had. I never got it.

Hey the Prime Rib is on until next Wed @Red Hering at Superstore so no hurry. So you're having wabbit for Easter dinner eh. 👍😋

bugs bunny no GIF by Looney Tunes
Hossenfeffer

We went to Superstore today anyways looking for cat food. (13 yr old Siamese and PICKY. Only eats one specific kind and of course they didn't have it today. Nobody did. Good thing we're not out yet, but we are starting to run low.)

I stopped and looked at the Prime Rib they had. They had a bunch they'd cut into smaller roasts, all in the $32-$50 range. Some looked really good, some not so much, but they did have 1 full one still in the vac seal, but I didn't have the $121 they were asking for it 😢

If I did, I would have bought it even though we already have lots of beef and really don't need anymore right now.

I was in Milton late morning so I had a look at its Superstore. Lined out the wazoo so I passed.

I'll see what Sunday brings, or maybe The Wife will stop somewhere early next week.

(I did buy 2 used Connectors today lined with L/C though...... shhhhhhhh)

Last edited:
Personally I won’t buy meat from Wally World. Did it twice and bad experiences. I would not buy anything from that store now.👎👎👎

What's your final yield @Ozzy111 ? Just curious approximately, I figure this isn't the first time for you.
It’s actually the second time doing it.Pics are the first one I did,57 days.well worth the time .Yield depends on the size steaks you want.

Attachments

• B12E4EC5-4A4C-430A-9A56-C8E9D2A396E0.jpeg
    B12E4EC5-4A4C-430A-9A56-C8E9D2A396E0.jpeg
    324.6 KB · Views: 21
  • A1055A60-F90A-4299-9CAF-8205F0C60DA8.jpeg
    A1055A60-F90A-4299-9CAF-8205F0C60DA8.jpeg
    313.9 KB · Views: 19
  • ABC6DF25-C4B8-4B8C-9AA7-A5045FE64672.jpeg
    ABC6DF25-C4B8-4B8C-9AA7-A5045FE64672.jpeg
    254.9 KB · Views: 21
What's your final yield
Generally when I get a full loin and cut my own steaks, whether that's a strip, a rib eye, a prime rib, I'll get on average about 20-25, 8-10oz steaks out of it. When I cut steaks out of a prime rib, I take the bones off and then I have a nice meal of ribs as well.

But today, I don't have to worry about that. My wife has decided she does not want steaks and told me to just cook the Prime Rib I have out as a roast. Had I been cutting it into steaks I would have gotten 5 out of it and a small order of ribs.

So since my wife has decided how I'm going to cook the Prime Rib later today, I'll probably end up making some Yorkies too. Look for photos of the finished product in the "from the Galley" section later today. :)

$20 for a fryer rabbit is insane considering they're slaughtered at the same age as chickens, cost less to feed, and are much quicker to dress. Cheaper and easier than chicken, but 2x the cost?

Im going to grab some prime rib now. Is there any difference between clear vac bags and the black ones pictured above?

$20 for a fryer rabbit is insane considering they're slaughtered at the same age as chickens, cost less to feed, and are much quicker to dress. Cheaper and easier than chicken, but 2x the cost?

Im going to grab some prime rib now. Is there any difference between clear vac bags and the black ones pictured above?
No difference other than the backdrop is black instead of clear. It's just a preference thing as Flex Pack Shop makes both.

I picked up 2 - 4 bone roasts as they didnt have a full loin. I cut 10 1.5" steaks off each. Vac sealed, kept 2 out for the bbq last night...they were excellent! Might try to get a full loin next week. Cheap way to fill the beef freezer..next to the venison freezer...next to the fish freezer....

Cooked a 3 bone today, dishes are done and ready for an Easter nap. Cooked until 120 on barbie with a few pieces of applewood.

Attachments

• P1030529.JPG
    P1030529.JPG
    465.7 KB · Views: 18
  • P1030531.JPG
    P1030531.JPG
    302.2 KB · Views: 20
  • P1030535.JPG
    P1030535.JPG
    329.9 KB · Views: 20
Oops I think this post should have been in the "from the galley section." Can it be moved?

I asked for a photo of the sale counter at the Superstore in St. Thomas while Slancy was on her break

00026776-8181-4FC3-B495-ACA4DBBE4501.jpegB31EAC9F-E4C6-436D-AF99-F24B1870976B.jpeg

yes please I’ll take a few of them!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks