Most productive dipsy colour?

spincast

So, I have 2 chinook divers the tape has peeled off. Considering what colours I will tape / powder paint them for 2021 - what do you guys find is most productive? Are you matching dispy to bait or do you have a go to colour?

@spincast I was partial to Copper, but it doesn't seem to be around anymore.

Last year fishing with my neighbour almost exclusively due to "you know", we used two black and two purple metallic dipsies.

Black one side purple the other.

The baits were spoons not related to the colour of the dipsy.

Everything produced catches.

They use to make a metallic green one , just like the ones posted in the middle above by hvyhaul , worked very well.

I’ve ran a lot of colours. But nothing seems to compare to the solid gold by one luhr jenson. Makes sense though as copper/gold back spoons seem to be king on Erie

@hvyhaul - that one closest - clear? And I notice - no rings? Opens up a whole other part of the discussion, doesn't it? Ring or no ring

Well if you really want to open up the discussion, lets add in slidedivers into the conversation.... :p

Well if you really want to open up the discussion, lets add in slidedivers into the conversation.... :p
OK - I'm in (nothing else to do - I am not a cold weather angler) - I was just having that conversation with a friend last week, actually. I currently don't run them, because I figure with all the damn tackle I have if I cant put a fish in the boat, one more option ain't gonna be the cure. But I know a lot of guys swear by them for the extra stealth they provide - just make sure you tell me what colour you like best once you start down that path, 'k?

I was actually thinking about air brushing the bottom of one with the pink panties pattern, as that works well on both Erie and Ontario

For erie I use black, metallic pink, purple,

For salmon ...on lake O ...I tend to use brighter colour dipsy

I dont have any gold, or silver dipsys.... yet

@hvyhaul - that one closest - clear? And I notice - no rings? Opens up a whole other part of the discussion, doesn't it? Ring or no ring

I was out making a food delivery hence only a :ROFLMAO: earlier.

No not clear.

dp1.jpgdp2.jpg

No rings.

More line required to get to the depth so definitely further back, maybe even further to the side.

Does that matter?

The boat has run a dipsy on 0, 30-40 feet back and put all sorts of fish, both bows and walleye into the cooler.

Our slider is far more effective than the bottom bait on the rigger. Both the 0 dipsy and slider are right behind and below the boat.

I was a huge fan of copper until on a calm sunny day the copper dipsies looked three feet across in the water coming up to the boat.

I think that day was also a short strike day on copper with not nearly as many hook sets, so the combination had me move to a darker dipsy.

Last edited:
I was out making a food delivery hence only a :ROFLMAO: earlier.

No not clear.

No rings.

More line required to get to the depth so definitely further back, maybe even further to the side.

Does that matter?

The boat has run a dipsy on 0, 30-40 feet back and put all sorts of fish, both bows and walleye into the cooler.

I was a huge fan of copper until on a calm sunny day the copper dipsies looked three feet across in the water coming up to the boat.

I think that day was also a short strike day on copper with not nearly as many hook sets, so the combination had me move to a darker dipsy.
That is a cool dipsy - have not seen one like that before. I have some holographic UV tape that would do a good job on my clear dipsy - thanks for the idea. As for the rings, nope, just curious. With me running Lake O a lot and using a lot of flasher flies, I want the extra depth. Gives me a point of reference when listening to the radio - if someone is running a dipsy at 90 back no ring and killing them, and I am running one at 90 back with a ring and its pretty quiet - well I am probably underneath the fish. Every little bit helps.
I appreciate everyone's input - the craft order just came in, so time to start considering the options. This covid is even causing shortages in the lure making dept, sigh

Attachments

• 20210117_125723.jpg
    20210117_125723.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 20210117_131756.jpg
    20210117_131756.jpg
    422 KB · Views: 23
OK - I'm in (nothing else to do - I am not a cold weather angler) - I was just having that conversation with a friend last week, actually. I currently don't run them, because I figure with all the damn tackle I have if I cant put a fish in the boat, one more option ain't gonna be the cure. But I know a lot of guys swear by them for the extra stealth they provide - just make sure you tell me what colour you like best once you start down that path, 'k?

Ever since I started using Slidediver lightbites I have not even considered going back to the standard DD's. A few key points.
Pros
1. the light bite works amazing, you always know when you get a hit... always
2. getting the lure away from the boat when the fish are higher in the water column is invaluable
3. you can have a short leader like 2', no need for super long rods!

Cons
1. Pita to set out but still easier than planer boards
2. You need to leave them on the line, so a bit awkward to store
3. A bit more maintenance as the rubber band has to replace every once in a while
4. more expensive

I really like them unfortunately I have only found them in black, or clear. I am considering painting them but not sure what to use, to get a copper look...

@rastam4n Krylon & Rustoleum both make a copper flake indoor outdoor for plastic - check CTC or Home hardware for them. That should do the trick and if you don't like it you can always return to them to their original colour - or try another colour.

I like the light bite detector for Erie, - getting the dipsy just right can be a challenge, especially on windy days with lots of wave action - but on lake O it is rare we need to worry about if something decided he liked the offering - even a shaker will move the rod tip more often than a come-along-'eye. At the moment for the high in the column and away from the boat, I like short cores with inline planers, or planers and keel weights depending on what depth I am chasing. I run the flags on the boards which are adjustable so you can tell if you are dragging a lazy eye, white perch or even weed. The more I hear about the sliders though the more likely I will have a weak moment one day in the store. Would like to see them in action one day

I bought 2 slide divers couple years back. Not cheap.

Read up on them, figured I hade them set up properly, first time out in Erie, no hit no anything, POP, 1 slide diver and lure, ALL GONE.

Reeled the other one in and haven't had the nerve to use it again. It's sitting on a shelf in the garage.

I think the idea is great, but my first experience was a complete and utter bust.

If my dipsies start letting me down (unlikely) and I revisit, hopefully round 2 is better.

Back