Trolling Rod Question

DST

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
We are new to trolling/down rigging. Looking for recommendations for a good rod to match up with a Okuma CW303D. The plan is to run 20 lb. Trilene Big Game on the reel. Would like to be able to go back and forth from down rigging to dragging a dipsey diver around.

Your line choice might a bigger issue switching between D/R and Dipsies.

Dipsies don't like line stretch, well they actually don't care, but you might when they won't trip open because of it..

Would it be better to run braid on a dipsy set-up?

Definitely. I tried using a rod and reel loaded up with mono when first using a dipsy and no matter how hard I reefed on it, I could not get the dam dipsy to release. If you want to switch from one to the other, some kind of no or low stretch line would be better. Maybe add a fluorocarbon or mono lead when down rigging. Ideally it would be better to have dedicated rod and reel combos that are longer and more specialized for trolling with dipsies.

Yes, absolutely.

All mine are braid to dipsy, mono or floro leader your choice to lure. (Dipsy rods)

I also use a snubber, many here don't, again your call.

I have a single rod set up with mono for D/R which I drop periodically to see if it can be effective on that given day.

Last edited:
Mine are also braid to dipsey 30 lb as spooled by angling outfitters in woodstock

If you plan on pulling a dipsey I recommend making sure you get a rod with a strong enough backbone. Last thing you need is the rod snapping in half on you one day. It’s better to be overkill for a downrigger than to light for a dipsey. However if you are using a stronger rod on your rigger make sure you get a good quality release that trips easy as a stiff rod you won’t notice all the knocks if it’s not tripping the rigger. Also second the braid for dispeys. I run 40lb power pro on all mine with 20lb fluoro leaders

Hard to get one rod / reel combo to do everything!!!!

Like others have said .....for dipsy... need rod with a good backbone and braid ed line.
Without breaking bank ....I would look at the Okuma ....either dipsy rod or the copper / leadcore ..... good rods for everything but downriggers. Can use inline boards , masts. Clip weights ... big divers etc .

For riggers ... the above rods are to stiff to properly keep in the releases
If on budget etc ..... use what you already have ...... a spinning rod or baitcaster will work ....line counter not as important on riggers
I've used 7' M ugly sticks with shimano symetre reels

So my suggestion would be start with couple new setups for dipsys ..... use what u got for riggers..... and add a new rod / reel setup every year specific to what you need them for.

Although a ton of alternatives to using leadcore
A 10 colour out the shoot is a simply easy way to add an extra rod to set up..... any rod will work ( longer is better) and dont need a line counter .... find an old Penn level wind . ....

Reactions: DST
I'd keep my eyes open on the classified in few key places like here, spoonpullers, and some of the market place outdoor / fishing sites. You should be able to pick up a couple used set ups at a reasonable price, and then you can run a dipsey and a downrigger at the same time. Some days the fish want a rigger presentation and some a dipsey. I remember when I was where you are, Jimmy Rigging had a seminar on fishing spring kings I went to. I asked the difference between a dipsey rod and a rigger rod. He grabbed one of each from the display and bent them as if in use. There is a big difference in where the flex point is. A rigger rod will be difficult to get the perfect setting on the dipsey release as it is designed to load up. Especially if you are fishing Erie as opposed to Ontario. Below is a pic of a downrigger rod loaded up, I'll see if I can find a loaded up dipsey set up and post it later. The dipsey has a different flex / bend.
1610279340284.png

The rods are actually fairly cheap brand new,
The reels are what get yah.
If you buy a used set up you likely want to change the lines anyways.

I would like to thank everyone for the advise. We have 4 down rigger rods/reels that we purchased from the previous owner. Based on everyone feed back the right move looks like to dipsy specific setups.

Agree with most here that you will definitely want dipsy rods for running dipsys and rigger rods for downrigging. Dipsys pull hard and rigger rods do not have the backbone to trip them easy. I use 8 ft. medium action downrigger rods and 10 1/2 ft. heavy action dipsy rods. The dipsy rods only require pulling back slightly to release where as the downrigger rod you will need to yank hard and maybe several times to even have a chance of releasing. In the photo the dipsy rod is on the left and the rigger rod to the right.

IMG_20200717_101447.jpg

Agree with most here that you will definitely want dipsy rods for running dipsys and rigger rods for downrigging. Dipsys pull hard and rigger rods do not have the backbone to trip them easy. I use 8 ft. medium action downrigger rods and 10 1/2 ft. heavy action dipsy rods. The dipsy rods only require pulling back slightly to release where as the downrigger rod you will need to yank hard and maybe several times to even have a chance of releasing. In the photo the dipsy rod is on the left and the rigger rod to the right.

I used to have trouble with riggers false releasing or refusing to release, but once I switched to Chamberlains and tuned them in, no more issues.

Rarely a false release, but they will release on small fish and solid slider hits/hookups.

More expensive but in my opinion totally worth it.

@hvyhaul I only meant if using a rigger rod for dipsys he would need to yank hard to get them to release as they are too flimsy in my opinion for dipsys. I've heard lots of good things about the Chamberlain releases but have had no need to switch. I've used Black's for many years and when set properly have had no problem with releases on small fish or with releasing prematurely.

So... A 10 1/2 ft. heavy action best set-up for dipsy's?

@DST
I prefer a shorter Dipsy rod, makes it easier to net the fish. Mine are 9ft

I have different length dipsy rods, helps with separation, I heard. LOL

Two each, same length, same position, both sides.

Last edited:
Check out Shimano's TDR line of rods, they're amongst the cheapest you can buy and have rods that will work for both dipsys and downriggers and they are also very durable. I agree with all the replies above, a heavy rod with a good backbone is a must for dipsys as well as 30 lb or heavier braid and a lighter action rod with more flexibility for riggers. I have lighter rods exclusively for pulling deep diving crankbaits set up with 20 lb mono that I also use with my downriggers which work great.
It can get expensive to buy a bunch of combos at once but if you get one or 2 a season or can find some used once it's much cheaper.

Last edited:
Back