Dec Muzzle Load Hunt Results

DaveJ

Nasty weather to start the hunt up in 92A...snow, winds all put the deer into lock-down.
Thurs morning was beautiful. I was in a treestand cornering bush and a tilled hayfield.
First light I used a doe call followed by some buck grunts. A minute later a buck came charging out of the bush into the field looking for some action...ranged him at 172 yards so too far.
He went the 450 yards to the top of the field and was checking out doe scent I left from the night before. I was calling intermittently but unsure if he could hear me. He went into the bush to my left...and I started to call aggressively. Out of that bush into the field again...250 yards...then back into the bush. More calling...and he came out at 150 yards, heading straight down the bushline to me. At 80 yards, I didnt want to risk him seeing/scenting me and jumping into the bush so I put the X hairs at the base of his neck and chest and touched off the Knight. He crashed into the bush..then silence.
I got down to find an immediate blood trail to the deer piled up 15 yards away. The 45 cal saboted 300gr Hornady XTP pushed by 150gr Pyrodex pellets entered the base of the neck, angled down (because of my 17' height in the treestand) through his heart, exited his ribs. A fast clean kill.
Not the boss hoss of the area but a nice deer for the freezer.
So thankful.

Attachments

• deer 2020.jpg
    deer 2020.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 84
That's a solid buck, nice shooting.

That’s a nice buck.. my group went 11 for 13. 2 guys tore up tags after they each wounded does that we couldn’t recover.. saw tons and tons of deer. Was tough walking in that snow. Shot 7 mature does and 4 bucks including this one.

Attachments

• 4B7D4BF9-338C-4ED9-95EA-881CA71187F4.jpeg
    4B7D4BF9-338C-4ED9-95EA-881CA71187F4.jpeg
    555.3 KB · Views: 78
That’s a nice buck.. my group went 11 for 13. 2 guys tore up tags after they each wounded does that we couldn’t recover.. saw tons and tons of deer. Was tough walking in that snow. Shot 7 mature does and 4 bucks including this one.
Thats a tank!!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks