Help with trim/tilt

DaveJ

I have a 2004 Yamaha 90hp 2 stroke with trim/tilt. Batteries hooked up through a battery selector. When I turned on the battery the engine went into up tilt mode automatically. The trim/tilt motor kept going even after it reached the upper limit. Won"t go into down mode with either the throttle trim switch or the switch on the side of the engine. I have to turn the battery to off to stop the trim/tilt motor.

I removed the green and blue wires from the relay and that stopped the engine raising. I put power from a remote battery to the green (down/lower engine wire) and grounded the engine but nothing happened...and did the same with the blue (up/raise engine wire), but nothing...the engine didnt raise or lower? I also disconnected the trim switch at the side of the engine with no effect.

Does it sound like the relay? Cheap to replace. The trim/tilt motor seems fine.

It sound like a possible relay to me but was wondering why you cant manually bypass relay with fused jumper wire for down/up operation. If you have a wiring diagram. I will be able to help more. Need to know exactly how it is wired.

If it is similiar to this diagram let me know very easy to check

Attachments

• outboard.jpg
    outboard.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 20
its similar but a single relay vs a double...pic included

Attachments

• relay.jpg
    relay.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 12
Thats spot on Waverunner that should help!!! Only other think I was thinking is making sure switches are good with ohm meter.

You guys should work on web servers ?... never have to get your hands dirty

Reactions: N8r
Thanks guys. Ill check the relay and switches with a meter. I know the motor is good because it works...just not the right way.

Had a similar problem many years ago. Try swapping the two relays over. If goes down you know its the relay.

mine only has one relay..so Im wondering if its stuck open on the lift part of the relay? Should be able to test by removing the green (down) wire and the blue (up) wire, put power to each then ground the engine. Tried but I get nothing--yet I know the trim motor works. Maybe Im not grounding it right.

update
Ordered a new relay..installed and the same condition. Then, everything stopped.
Checked all grounds etc again--traced up to the throttle control unit, and checked the wiring and harnesses.....
..and found the wiring cut in half....cut in half cleanly. Not broken, worn...2 3 wire harness and a group of 4 separate wires cut...then pushed back down into the console on the side.

So...nothing sharp I can see that would have cut the wiring...??? vandalism?? Nothing missing, nothing else damages. A new Lowrance Hook 7 right there untouched.

2 hrs of soldering and crimping and everything is back together and working 100%

A mystery.

update
Ordered a new relay..installed and the same condition. Then, everything stopped.
Checked all grounds etc again--traced up to the throttle control unit, and checked the wiring and harnesses.....
..and found the wiring cut in half....cut in half cleanly. Not broken, worn...2 3 wire harness and a group of 4 separate wires cut...then pushed back down into the console on the side.

So...nothing sharp I can see that would have cut the wiring...??? vandalism?? Nothing missing, nothing else damages. A new Lowrance Hook 7 right there untouched.

2 hrs of soldering and crimping and everything is back together and working 100%

A mystery.
Maybe you had a mouse in there chewing on the wiring.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks