Port Glasgow Walleye July 19th

Wave Runner

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Took a newbie out fishing this morning and lets just say he made it interesting to say the least. :eek: We were the first boat out and the first boat back in. It was a circus with my friend driving the boat in figure eights all over the place as I was setting everything up while jumping back and forth making extreme course corrections. o_O

But through all the shemozzle that ensued we still managed a quick 2 man limit and were returning to the dock passing by all the boats just coming out. My friend has only fished for perch, never walleye so was impressed how fast we got our limit. I didn't have the heart to tell him it certainly didn't have anything to do with him. On occasion when I fish by myself I don't have that much problem keeping on course and that was his only job. :rolleyes: They have to start somewhere right.... it's strenuous but still enjoy showing newbies the ropes. :banghead: :D

Used all spoons this morning with SS/copper mini in pink panties & blueberry muffin taking most. Dipsies #1 on 3 setting 110 ft. back and unlike last 2 trips even riggers produced today down 35-40 ft. It was most productive In 65 fow. When we were down to 1 for limit we had a triple knock-off with 2 walleye and the other a silver. The extra walleye was released gently while the silver junk fish had a little more rude entry back into the water. (y) :LOL:

IMG_1440.JPG

IMG_1441.JPG

Like you said, everyone starts somewhere. You can laugh about it now tho and next time you take him, hopefully he remembers what he learned this time out.

Darren also struggled to learn but after a few years now he's got pretty good handling everything except steering the boat when he's on that darn cell phone. One of these days I may feed it to that green monster I've heard about that has taken many others. :)

First time for me at Port Glasgow and I really liked it. We started at 6.00am and by 12.00 had 12/14 eyes, 1/2 bows, 3 huge farm animals and 3 silver bass. One dipsey took 75% of the fish. Tow big eyes were 30” and 28”. Beautiful day on the lake, perfect breeze, no bugs. Stayed around 60’ and orange and black spoons were most productive. Reading above should have gone a bit deeper.

Attachments

• 9608A2D2-2B16-40BF-91F4-AD6A90A46B8E.jpeg
    9608A2D2-2B16-40BF-91F4-AD6A90A46B8E.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 44
  • 3D9451D4-82E0-42D4-AB12-456E11B4E0D3.jpeg
    3D9451D4-82E0-42D4-AB12-456E11B4E0D3.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 45
@Bentrod… The thing I like most about Glasgow is it's half the distance to get to 65 ft. as it is out of the ports east. That's a real plus when they are out deep and the fishing is just as good.

Darren also struggled to learn but after a few years now he's got pretty good handling everything except steering the boat when he's on that darn cell phone. One of these days I may feed it to that green monster I've heard about that has taken many others. :)

Start issuing him fines every time he's driving the boat and on his cell phone. Each time he does it, is one less fish he's allowed to take home because he's driving while distracted, and that's dangerous. ;)

@Bentrod… The thing I like most about Glasgow is it's half the distance to get to 65 ft. as it is out of the ports east. That's a real plus when they are out deep and the fishing is just as good.
The other nice thing is you do not have to go “no wake” from the launch to the lake. I will go back, for sure.

The other nice thing is you do not have to go “no wake” from the launch to the lake. I will go back, for sure.

That's because with a strong south winds the harbor can be treacherous. When the winds are up from the south you have to come in or out under lots of power to control the boat as it can and has slammed several boats into the steel walls. A few years back a 25 footer came in I guess not knowing so did not use enough power and was slammed into the wall. Of course the waves just kept slamming it until it sank and was totally destroyed. When rough I always come in powered up to almost the point of going up on plane to keep control until completely clear of the walls before pulling back on the throttle. That's the only bad thing about Glasgow and also can be nasty at the launch area as it's not a protected area from the wash down the channel. Just keep that in mind and you should have no problem.

That's because with a strong south winds the harbor can be treacherous. When the winds are up from the south you have to come in or out under lots of power to control the boat as it can and has slammed several boats into the steel walls. A few years back a 25 footer came in I guess not knowing so did not use enough power and was slammed into the wall. Of course the waves just kept slamming it until it sank and was totally destroyed. When rough I always come in powered up to almost the point of going up on plane to keep control until completely clear of the walls before pulling back on the throttle. That's the only bad thing about Glasgow and also can be nasty at the launch area as it's not a protected area from the wash down the channel. Just keep that in mind and you should have no problem.

Treacherous is right.

Back in the mid 90s when the walleye fishing was just insane, Glascow was the place to go...and on a w/e ther might be a couple hundred boats go out. I've seen the lineup go out to Hyw 3. People would launch at 3 am and sit in their boats.
On a particularly nice sunny Sat, we fished until around noon when it got windy and rough,,so like everyone else headed in. It was sunny but big swells with a SW wind. By the time we got to the harbour, they were 4-5' rollers in the shallower water, bouncing back off the shore and turning everything into a bad washing machine. Manageable if you just kept your head and waited to come in...unfortunately there were about ????100 of the boats out all trying to get in at once. The harbour was plugged solid with boats crashing into each other, big swells splashing over open boats, people yelling--one fist fight--people trying to get out the only 2 ramps and getting boats washed off the trailers. One smaller tinny tried to beach and got swamped, a couple others were close to sinking at the mouth. We just sat a hundred yards off, bobbed around and got a tan...no problemo.

I switched to Erieau shortly afterwards....

@DaveJ… I've fished out of Glasgow since the 70s and it's come a long way since then. I remember when it was nothing more than a steep gravel lane leading down to the harbor with a crummy launch but the fishing was always stellar. Not only the walleye but the coho salmon fishing was world class through the 80s. However the weakest point then and still is, is the unprotected open harbour when strong south winds are present. I've seen it when the side to side wave action is literally splashing over the steel walls, talk about hairy conditions. I only go on week days avoiding the rush and only on good weather days of my choosing so really never run into severe conditions such as your describing.

The salmon used to congregate heavily on the east side of Rondeau Point so once I used the only launch on that side at the time was directly off the beach. The waves blew up to 5-6 footers and as we approached the launch coming in 5 large boats from 22-26 ft. were already beached trying to get in. The waves continued to roll them up onto the beach smashing together which wasn't a pretty sight. So I sat back bouncing around pondering how the heck we could get the boat out without suffering the same fate because I didn't want to run all the way to Glasgow in heavy seas. We decided my brother-in-law would jump in and swim to shore after I pulled in as close as I dared to go get the boat trailer and I would then try to run up onto it if I could with power then him pull it out immediately. :jawdrop: It was extremely difficult trying to control the boat even with the hammer down but fortunately it worked like a charm except for me ending up half way over the windshield in my then Doral fiberglass from the sudden stop at the bow stop. :eek: We were the only boat to get off safely all the rest, maybe because they weren't as crazy as us, headed for either Erieau or Glasgow. That was when I was young and a little stupid. :rolleyes:

Wow. I am new(er) to boating and chose my days, did not experience anything like you are describing. Great heads up. Thanks!

Wave Runner--those were the days at Glascow eh?? The big hill...we had just launched and were parking the trailer. There was still a lineup half way to the highway. A truck was bringing a big 24' Wilker down the hill and halfway down the trailer tire slipped off the side..bottomed out the trailer and that rig was STUCK!! We thought it was gonna roll off the hill. Problem was they had to clear all the backed up traffic to get a truck in to pull it up and out. A lot of VERY unhappy people!!!!

Another time in the harbour when it was super rough and crammed with boats crashing around trying to get out on the 2 ramps a big steel hull boat came in--it was a charter boat and his spot was against the steel wall. He just came in and pushed/shoved/crashed boats out of his way. I think he was drunk...and well known?? Anyways, one of the boat owners he bashed got his boat out then went and had a very entertaining confrontation with the obnoxious capt. It didnt end well for Capt AHole.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks