Fishing Report Walleye - Port Burwell - Thursday, July 12th

Duck Soup

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
After two successive failures to bring home enough to feed our families with fish from Long Point Bay we decided to head back to Port Burwell where we did well on the previous two tries. Burwell didn't disappoint and we headed home with a 3 man limit of walleye by a little after 10:30 am. Again we fished really close to the harbour in water sometimes under 40 feet deep. It was different this time because species other than walleye had abandoned the area and the surface temperature was sometimes under 70 degrees F compared to as high as 76F the last time out in the same area. Another difference was that the lead core lines baited with Ripplin Redfins worked and the downriggers were relatively poor producers. Added a photo of Albert and John with 2 Jumbo's that John wanted to keep for a special recipe of his. We fished 2 riggers, 2 dipsy's, 2 lead core with boards.

Attachments

• IMG_0253.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 199
After two successive failures to bring home enough to feed our families with fish from Long Point Bay we decided to head back to Port Burwell where we did well on the previous two tries. Burwell didn't disappoint and we headed home with a 3 man limit of walleye by a little after 10:30 am. Again we fished really close to the harbour in water sometimes under 40 feet deep. It was different this time because species other than walleye had abandoned the area and the surface temperature was sometimes under 70 degrees F compared to as high as 76F the last time out in the same area. Another difference was that the lead core lines baited with Ripplin Redfins worked and the downriggers were relatively poor producers. Added a photo of Albert and John with 2 Jumbo's that John wanted to keep for a special recipe of his. We fished 2 riggers, 2 dipsy's, 2 lead core with boards.
Beautiful catch Gentlemen!

Nice report Arne. We were out of Clear Creek looking for some perch with no success.

We are back in grabbed something to eat and decided to hit the Bluffs for an afternoon swim and then out to the Elbow for an evening Walleye trip if the beers allow me to do that ?

Thank you for the report Duck Soup. Can I ask - what type of boards do you use and how do you set up your lead core on your boards? I have heard to not clip lead core to releases due to the potential for damage. Given your expert technique and experience - can I lean on you for some advice, please and thanks?

Cheers and Thanks in Advance
Balleye

Thank you for the report Duck Soup. Can I ask - what type of boards do you use and how do you set up your lead core on your boards? I have heard to not clip lead core to releases due to the potential for damage. Given your expert technique and experience - can I lean on you for some advice, please and thanks?

Cheers and Thanks in Advance
Balleye
Balleye I've never liked fishing with lead core but I will be the first to admit that some days it is the only method that works. I'm old school and always used big wooden planer boards and a mast to get my baits away from the boat. A few years ago when those small plastic in-line boards were developed plus thinner lead core line that could be attached to those boards I invested in a 5 colour, a 7 colour and a 10 colour complete rig including rods, reels and lines. I have those small planer boards in my boats glove compartment and throw the lead core rigs into the boat any time I might want to use them. I always clip to the braid backing when rigging. I still have the big boards and the Big Jon planer board mast but rarely use it now. It just takes up too much space in my boat. Using the lead core is always my last choice therefore I often do fine without it.

Great report Arnie as usual. Burwell is definitely the place for walleye right now. We fished Bruce this morning and did well but not near the fish there as Burwell that's for sure. Funny about the riggers as I found the same thing, almost useless today.

Even when the riggers haven't been producing for us this year, sliders on the rigger lines have. Small spoons like Jr streaks in purples or anything with a copper back have caught some of our bigger walleye.
Riggers set at 25ft has worked best. I believe that would have these small spoons running at 10 to 15ft?
It's fun watching the rod bounce then popping it out of the release and waiting for the fish to slide to the end of the line. We even had a double with a walleye on the main line and the slider.

Good picture Arnie!

great report ducksoup, i was out yesterday to and boated 12 pics, was hard fishing, dipseys were working best, riggers at 25 and 30 were silent with only one fish, what colours of lead were you using? 5 to 7 colours?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks