Fishing Report Salmon - Lake Ontario - Monday, May 21st

Duck Soup

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
I joined Emil( Ice-fisherman) and one of his buddies to fish Lake Ontario this morning. The weather there was awesome with hardly a ripple on the big pond. Best fishing was a little west of Bronte in 70-90 fow. We lost count but my guess was close to 30 Chinook and 1 Atlantic between the three of us. The fish ranged in size from a small shaker to about 15 pounds. The best lure was a silver/blue NK type spoon with 90% of the blue paint missing. The salmon just pounded the thing.

Attachments

• EmilLakeOnt      May21_18.jpg
    EmilLakeOnt May21_18.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 172
Great job! Now I feel really bad. We went out for 5 hrs and no fish. Dipsys 30-45ft down. 60-120 ft of water. Out from Skyway

Great job! Now I feel really bad. We went out for 5 hrs and no fish. Dipsys 30-45ft down. 60-120 ft of water. Out from Skyway
I have no idea why. You should have been pretty close to us and we successfully fished two Dipsys down in the 30 foot range. We did try a salmon fly rig for a while without a touch but spoons worked. The fish in the photo with Emil hit on a blue/silver spoon shown. It was the last we caught today and it was off a dipsy. It was not the hot spoon indicated in my post but blue/silver on any rod seemed to work.

Sounds like another great day with the icefisherman... once again a fantastic job you guys! (y)(y)
Only 1 photo... obviously you guys were much too busy catching. :)

Nice looking to get out for my first ever trip to lake O and try a little salmon fishing.

What is the trolling speed? I’ll be using dipsys as well probably from south shore

I have no idea why. You should have been pretty close to us and we successfully fished two Dipsys down in the 30 foot range. We did try a salmon fly rig for a while without a touch but spoons worked. The fish in the photo with Emil hit on a blue/silver spoon shown. It was the last we caught today and it was off a dipsy. It was not the hot spoon indicated in my post but blue/silver on any rod seemed to work.
Thanks. I’m surprised we couldn’t find one as well. Might try the sand bar tomorrow. See how the rain/wind plays out.

Sounds like another great day with the icefisherman... once again a fantastic job you guys! (y)(y)
Only 1 photo... obviously you guys were much too busy catching. :)
Yeah Bob....the battery in my camera was dead and the action was in fact pretty well non-stop especially fishing 6 rods which Emil likes to do. He's younger and still enjoys a little chaos.

Went out Sunday evening numbers were down from week before one small king boated ! Spoons ,cheaters , dipsy, and lead! 60-90 marking very little ... Who will try further east next week

@Duck Soup you guys try running any meat rigs? I was out sunday caught two chinooks and one laker was using spoons though.
No meat. I really don't understand why others were not catching. Our own observation was that we simply didn't see others catching anything. That said our lines were almost always being hit. The only thing I can tell you is that larger spoons were useless. 100% of bites came on Northern King sized spoons or smaller. A friend fishing the south side of Lake O experienced the same phenomenon. They were also very successful.

No meat. I really don't understand why others were not catching. Our own observation was that we simply didn't see others catching anything. That said our lines were almost always being hit. The only thing I can tell you is that larger spoons were useless. 100% of bites came on Northern King sized spoons or smaller. A friend fishing the south side of Lake O experienced the same phenomenon. They were also very successful.

Same with us on Sunday 90% of fish came on blue colured cheater spoon
Small size like #3 if you want to compare it to the magnum #5
Depth 60-70 fow 35-45 feet down on riggers
Temp at surface 49°
Temp at 25 ' 44°
Temp at 60 plus 39 °
Speed at ball 2,3 mph at awarege
Speec at surfuce 2.6 mph at awarege
Im loving that Fishawk !

Same with us on Sunday 90% of fish came on blue colured cheater spoon
Small size like #3 if you want to compare it to the magnum #5
Depth 60-70 fow 35-45 feet down on riggers
Temp at surface 49°
Temp at 25 ' 44°
Temp at 60 plus 39 °
Speed at ball 2,3 mph at awarege
Speec at surfuce 2.6 mph at awarege
Im loving that Fishawk !
Info provided by Ticker corresponds to our data except surface temperature was warmer where we were and on average we fished a little deeper. We also used a Fishawk and speed and temperature at the ball was the same and catching depth was also between 35 and 45 feet.

Yes I do but it pends on the original hook if I think its not good
I like the Gamakatsu brand

I replace with Gamakatsu's 4x strong treble hooks and agree they make terrific hooks. (y)
Pricey and may be a little overkill but nothing bends or straightens those hooks out. :)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks