Off Topic Morels

Fishaholic

Went out looking tonight but didn't find any in one of my spots, anybody find any yet?

None on LP on the weekend when I went looking. May be a little early yet with the cold spring. Although usually we have them by Mother's Day weekend.

I've been looking to! nothing yet.. Ive got pictures of some from april 21st last year. It did get warmer alot earlier last year.. I'd say after this next rain an a little more sun they should be around.. I hope

Should be any time now around there. I found a couple in the london area. Should be warming up enough down there

they are super small, but there coming, there about an inch in dia and the same tall.
they will grow to be maybe 2 inchs in dia and maybe the head could reach 4 inches in length.
my understanding is just cut flush with the ground without any soil disruption.

20180510_164152.jpg20180510_164245.jpg20180510_164152.jpg20180510_164312.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks... smokey1 for the pics now I know what they look like......

Now that I know what they look like.....What kind of places do they grow in.?....Thanks...Larry
They grow all over, usually a moist area....for example i found a couple in my backyard last night well i was cutting the grass. Noticed them just before i was about to mow them over. That area was lush, the grass was over my ankle. That area also has all day sunlight.

Look on south facing slopes now.. north facing slopes+deeper in the woods later in the season. Around pines, oaks, ash, Apple orchards, old dead fall.. fire pits.. (all places ive had luck) the long point beach is decent for them... But there very gritty from the sans blowing around an almost impossible to get the dirt out

Thanks...Everybody for the info.....Now I can look for them too.......Larry... :giggle:

Be careful . There are Morels called Brain Morels that are poisonous. The pictures above from smokey1 do not look like the ones I have collected for 50 years . The pictures from Fishaholic do look like the ones I have collected and eaten for 50 years . At the end of the day best to know for sure . Suggest if unsure check with a very reliable source before eating .

How come nothing seems to be cut and dried and simple anymore these days.....:confused:.......LoL

Be careful . There are Morels called Brain Morels that are poisonous. The pictures above from smokey1 do not look like the ones I have collected for 50 years . The pictures from Fishaholic do look like the ones I have collected and eaten for 50 years . At the end of the day best to know for sure . Suggest if unsure check with a very reliable source before eating .
Very true, false morels have more of a red tinge and solid stem, we mostly have yellow morels ( the ones I posted pictures of) and black morels ,both have a hollow stem. As to where to find them I've found them in pine trees, around elms and my favourite, old apple trees. There is a saying regarding finding morels " morels are where you find them" . Also people don't give up there spots very easily, almost as secretive as trout fishing spots. It's a great past time and gets you outside. Good luck on your hunt to find them.
Regards
Ken J

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks