Scoops Fish Batter

j_corr

Well it is a sad day. My 10lb stock pile of fish batter from Scoops in St. Thomas is nearly gone. I know they have since moved and when i followed up, they provided no help as they are a dessert store now in London.

For the guys in the same boat as myself, what have you found as an alternative?

You can try this one, I use it all the time and think it's great. :)

Golden Crispy Batter
1 cup of water
1 cup of all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 tsp white sugar
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. lemon juice

Great for shrimp or chicken as well

Last edited:
To date, I have never battered any of my catch. Just a hot pan, butter and a touch of oil to prevent scorching, and then a light sprinkling of salt once on the paper towel.

I just might have to try that recipe tomorrow @Wave Runner. tnx

The stuff from scoops was a very light corn mill based batter. light fry dusting (like shake and bake), and fry.

To date, I have never battered any of my catch. Just a hot pan, butter and a touch of oil to prevent scorching, and then a light sprinkling of salt once on the paper towel.

That's exactly how I like my perch done except with a light dusting of flour on the fillets but no batter.
For walleye though I use the batter, it's light & crispy and makes great fish & chips.
In fact I still have a vacuum pack of walleye in the freezer from last October I am frying up this week! :cool:

IMG_1120.JPG

I have tried a lot of different batters the one I like is “Drakes”. The problem is it seem’s to only be available in Michigan. Meigher’s, Walmart carry it in small boxes. I have been buying it in Port Huron at Gordon’s food service store (5,12.5,50 lb bags, 5lb $5.99 U.S.). If your ne’er there, it’s worth a try.

This is how I prepared the fish for that very tasty meal in the picture......I patted the fillets dry with paper towel first, then seasoned them before battering with salt, pepper (would've used lemon pepper if I had any left), garlic powder, and dill weed on both sides.....then I placed them in all purpose flour and lightly coated them to seal in the seasoning, and ensure the batter would stick properly.....for the batter itself, I used a simple recipe.....

3/4 cup flour, 2 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon of salt together in a large bowl. To that I added 1 tablespoon of chili powder and 1 teaspoon of ginger... Whisk in 1 cup of water until smooth (or substitute beer or if you’re really adventurous, white wine for the water if you wish. IF using beer or wine instead of the water, doesn’t make a difference if it’s warm or cold.)

The trick, if you want to call it that, don't just batter it and then set it in the oil, hold the thinner end in your fingers, and place the thicker end into the oil gently swaying back and forth until it starts to float....... then release it..... once the entire fillet floats, flip it and cook it on the other side for 1-2 minutes (while you're waiting to flip it, use a spoon and baste the hot oil over the uncooked side)....then pull it and let the excess oil drain off by placing on a cooling rack, (your wife will love it if you use the one she uses for her baking lol)...once you have all your fillets out and placed on the cooling rack and all excess oil has dripped off and you have everything else ready to be plated, put them back in the oil and finish cooking....usually takes about 3 more minutes.....then let the excess drain off again, plate, and MMMMMMMM. Nice and crispy quite flavorful. I find that in the long run, it's cheaper and you get much better results if you make your own batter or breading as opposed to buying that pre-made just add water crap you can get in the stores. Fresh Lake Erie Perch Does this scream summer or what.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
you guys have got to try stove top stuffing dont matter which one just put it in a blender and grind it up and add it to your fav batter just mix your fish with your batter then roll it in the stove top no need for spices its in the stuffing and you can make it fine or crunchy its taste great

Attachments

• DSC_0251.JPG
    DSC_0251.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 61
Lol i ran out of my mixture that i make out off cornflakes at the trailer so i made a batter to dip the fish in then rolled it in the stuffing and deepfryed it it was great everyone loved it and its alot cheaper then the ones you buy and you can make it fine or crunchy you gotta try it i like the turkey stuffing the best but its got to be stove top lol

I’ve used a egg wash and then coat bbq chips crushed to a powder. Then pan fry in butter. Very tasty.

make life easy. Fish Crisp. They have many flavours to temp your pallet. Even original to add your special touch too

Here's an old hunt camp recipe, filets of pike or pikeral, a large cast iron frying Pan, loaded with butter and salt. Add filets coated with back wash beer blended with pancake mix. Have had this for breakfast years ago.

2 bags of regular fish crisp
1 bag of Cajun fish crisp
2 cups of buttermilk pan cake mix
some celery salt
lemon pepper (I use a lot , maybe 1/4 cup )

mix this all together in a large container

put fish in a bowl , put some mix over the fish and shake
this will put a light coating on your fish (no egg or milk dip needed as fish is moist enough)
deep fry and as soon as it comes out sprinkle more lemon pepper over the fish .

I don't like more batter than fish , and this has been a fan favourite at all my fish frysdeep fried fish.png

Last edited:
You can try this one, I use it all the time and think it's great. :)

Golden Crispy Batter
1 cup of water
1 cup of all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 tsp white sugar
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. lemon juice

Great for shrimp or chicken as well

That is almost EXACTLY the same as my uncle’s except he used beer instead of water and ALWAYS used canella oil. He claimed it was fluffier and less oily. As a kid, we did not care as long as the fillets, home fries and malt vinegar kept coming. ?. Now, because of failing lungs, he can’t come out in the boats any more so it is up to “the kids” to supply him. Funny thing is.....us kids are all 50 PLUS now. ?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks