Controlled Dam Fish Ladder

JustForUs

Took a trip to Michigan and while I was in Frakenmuth saw this control dam fish ladder that was designed by the army corps. The original dam was much like the ones that are up and down the grand river, lynn river etc. The Cast river eventually empties into Huron. Prior to the new control dam the fish never got up stream in any quantity. Once the dam was rebuilt with the stone blocks and made into a natural fish ladder the river then started to reproduce a walleye run, rainbow and others soon started to span. Now the river, according to the people I talked to, is alive with fish. Thought this was an interesting and productive way to resolve some of the dam issues we have locally...

thoughts anyone?016.JPG 017.JPG 019.JPG

That's what I was thinkin. Isn't that a meal?

@JustForUs... That looks like "Pure Michigan" American ingenuity to better fishing while having a good chicken dinner afterwards. ;)

Does the same thing as the dams we see around here, but offers a very easy way for migrating fish to get upriver and is likely much cheaper and quicker than concrete construction.

Cheaper, easier and better all around. Yep, our government would definitely reject such nonsense.

The one thing that when I stood beside this control dam was that as you pointed out the simplicity of just stacking slab boulders in a manner that would be both a dam and fish ladder in one! From my point of view it was nothing more than using nature at its best to incorporate both the needed depth upstream for the boaters / river users and the needed fish ladder to allow for nature to enhance the fishing environment for the betterment of all. Yes... to easy for our government to insist upon.

So I guess we should agree that this thread will not be shown to any government agency...

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks