Winter is a time for research

Castaway88

After a few years of some fantastic small mouth fishing, I think I'm ready to go out and try my luck trolling for eyes. I've upgraded my electronics, purchased a few trolling combos (thanks @SilverHunter), I'm mounting my kicker motor and will start to stock up on spoons, riplin redfins and worm harnesses. My hunting grounds will be mostly out from Featherstone Point heading east to Tecumseh Reef or west towards Nanticoke. I'm looking for a general rule of thumb to get started on the right path. Hopefully you guys may be able to help me out. Basically something like.....

May - June walleye are usually found in __ft to __ft of water and bite on trolling speeds between __ mph to __ mph.

July - August walleye are usually found in __ft to __ft of water and bite on trolling speeds between __ mph to __ mph.

September - October walleye are usually found in __ft to __ft of water and bite on trolling speeds between __ mph to __ mph.

I've also been reading that it's a little slower for harnesses and a little quicker for spoons. And a very gentle S curve will entice the picky ones.

Thanks for your help guys!!

Hello Castaway, it has taken many years to figure out the timing and the patterns and thanks to a lot of great people at launches and following this board (even though I don't post much) have helped greatly in my success. If you would like to PM me I would be happy to share what I know so you can begin having success as others have done for me.

Very difficult @Castaway88 to give particulars of fishing depths because nothing is definite at any time of the year. Water temps usually dictates what depth the fish will be on any given day dependent on weather being stable or if after storms etc., etc.

Trolling speeds can also be variable depending on conditions and species your fishing for. General rule of thumb is 1.5-2.0 mph using harnesses and 2.2-2.8 mph using spoons and body baits but there at many variables involved besides that. Using S curves and wide Z patterns allows lure speed changes that can trigger hits, slowing bait on the inside and picking up the speed on the outside which many times does improve success, especially when things are slow. Everybody has their preferences regarding almost every aspect of trolling and usually is drawn from what successfully produces for them through experience over time. And don't be afraid to try new tactics invented with in your own thought process besides the good advice that I'm sure many will offer here. It's a new world out there many miles offshore so remember to use caution and always follow the wind and weather reports for your area. Good luck and enjoy your new adventure in the deep zones of Erie. :)

don't mean to hi jack this thread----gotta ask a ????? tho-----Wave Runner aren't you" supposed" to be someplace else about now??????:D:);)

don't mean to hi jack this thread----gotta ask a ????? tho-----Wave Runner aren't you" supposed" to be someplace else about now??????:D:);)

Hey Gord good to hear from you, I thought you would be frozen on a pier somewhere. :LOL: :D

I will be some place else very soon my friend, packed and ready to leave for Santa Lucia Cuba this Wed. coming. (y) :cool:

Hey Gord good to hear from you, I thought you would be frozen on a pier somewhere. :LOL: :D

I will be some place else very soon my friend, packed and ready to leave for Santa Lucia Cuba this Wed. coming. (y) :cool:

not frozen to no pier Bob altho there were a few dayso_O:LOL::sneaky: ????? look forward to your "research report" when you get back(y)(y)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks