Argument and Threats out of Burwell today over the radio

Reel Therapy

I was wondering if anyone heard the heated conversation and the threats made over the radio this morning on 68 out of Burwell? Sounded pretty nasty. I heard the police were called and was wondering if there was any resolution?

Heard nada. But isn't it wonderful that guys that share the same passion for the same sport can be so ridiculous that it can come to threats and sometimes blows. Ridiculous. Can't we just go fishing or express an opinion online without getting threatened?

Possibly. But it appears that if you go fishing and run over another guy's leadcore offline you will not only get threatened but possibly have your boat rammed.

Quite the drama. Think I'll stick to perching.... trolling sounds complicated.

Ya I heard it all...totally disgusted! What a bunch of childish inconsiderate poor excuses for sportsmen.

The worst part was it sounded like to one boat had their child on board and was rather scared when the boat tried to ram them.... inexcusable!

Last edited:
its hard to believe someone could say so much and only use 5 words .went on for a few min. one saying his downrigger got pulled off his boat and lost all his lines

No clue what happened out there today but in all honesty, I have been fishing mainly during the week and have seen lots of people driving over each other this year. Lots of guys don't seem to have a clue or understand how to avoid each other and it was bound to happen, especially on a busy weekend.

Here's my public service announcement from the openly heterosexual members of the over 50 club and really it's just a simplified refresher from the Safe Boating handbook which everybody allegedly read in order to get their Boater's Card:

• If you are approaching another vessel crossing your bow and you see their Port (left) side, you must give way and pass behind them. (if they are on your right then they are right)
  • If you are approaching another vessel crossing your bow and you see their Starboard (right) side, they should give way and pass behind you.
  • A boat overtaking another boat must keep clear of the boat being overtaken.

Keep in mind, guys trolling can have 500 feet or more of line out behind and planer boards 100 feet out each side and your stuff needs to clear their stuff.

It is best if the boat having the right of way holds their course but if it appears that things are not going according to plan, turn early and turn wide to avoid conflicts. Also, if you are trolling parallel with another boat, you need to leave him room to take evasive action too when approaching another boat's port side.

We have all made mistakes and got distracted by fish or equipment issues and fouled other boaters but there is no need for threats, or ramming or anything else and this can all be avoided by following these simple 'rules of the road'.

Last edited:
Had my line cut last year by some moron off Burwell. Only two boats within eye site and he (5 guys in boat) crossed behind me and waved. thanks #$%&8. Lost my lure and dipsy to his rigger. No need.
I just continued on, but a potato cannon would be nice for these inconsiderate people.

I'm not surprised there are some problems. I talked to a fellow today in a store who tried to go out from Burwell. He said there were 30 boats in queue for the ramp at 6:00 this morning. He didn't bother waiting.

I've been retired for 11 years and now only fish on week days to avoid the weekend loon show. I also realize people still do work and therefore have no choice but to be weekend warriors.

I well remember the crazy days during the 70s & 80s we spent at the Bronte launch watching shouting matches or fists fights pretty much every weekend. Out on the lake it could sometimes be even worse with not only guys running over your tackle but a lot of wacko sail boaters to contend with as well. Because sail boats by law always have the right of way some would purposely cross through the trollers. Trying to avoid them caused some real tangled messes crossing other down riggers insighting some very heated verbal exchanges. One sailor pushed it so far one day that the guy salmon fishing pulled out his flare gun and blew a hole right through the guy's sail as he passed. That's how crazy normally sane people can get when they can't control their anger, I call it water road rage.

its the inexperienced fishermen makes it what it is today...and add in the rage of hotheads and idiots and the beer drinkers/weed smokers out on the water... and on the road..you find most of these guys out on the water on the weekend ...always in a hurry to go now where... offshore trollers should know and react that there is going to be alot of boats out on the weekend especially when the lake forecasts calm weather conditions and the chatter of good fishing reports. Had a buddy go out last sunday am in the fog... for his first time this season off burwell . He avoided the numerous trollers fishin SW of burwell and SE of Bruce....he decided to head east and fish off the sandhills...he picked up 7 walleye and a rainbow and had the spot to himself....Meaning he found his own pod of fish to catch...its a big lake out there and lots of room for everybody!!! Why do some fishermen have to move right in on other boats trying to fish with planer boards and leadcore???...I avoid the weekend crowd and fish through the week out of port stanley.

Last edited:
as a sailor and a power boater I make it my priority to make the first avoidess course change well in advance. whethur I have the right of way or not. making a noticable change gives the other guy the information they need to continue what they are doing.

there is just no reason to ever get that close to another boat well trolling ,you can see for miles most days so just steer clear well before you get that close ,as far as it being new guys that coues the trouble not really I find it is the guys that have been doing it for many years and just think thy are always right no matter what ,,I just finished fishing the salmon derby out on lake Ontario and some days there can be hundreds o boats on the water including sail boats you just have to keep your eyes open to what is going on around you ,hope to get out of burwell this week for my turn at some eyes now that we re done with the salmon ,,it was a very poor year for fish out of the ports of brontie and credit ,,Dutch

I think great lakes chinooks are becoming an endangered species....except for Lake michigan this year gets stocked with a million and a half chinooks and 2 and a half million cohos....sure wish the huron salmon would make a come back...I didn't even bother with the owen sound spring salmon fishin...lots of small jacks..no big ones

That's it I'm off next week and I'm bringing my crossbow with me!!! Two things that are simple to fix with common sense 1- it is a big lake with lot's of fish give other anglers space and treat them how you wish to be treated.
2- If you're going fishing have your boat ready to go- riggers screwed in, rods and tackle and lunch aboard. Once you swing that boat around back it up, drop the boat and move! I see these people swing the boat to back up and then they decided to load it up buy their minnows ask directions to the barn Etc while there are 20 other boats ready to go. If you're not ready let the chap behind you go -proper manners goes a long ways.

Today I had to keep turning away from this large fishing boat as it seems he could care less I was out there fishing too
He kept moving closer and closer to me as we were parallel going east
And one point he started to move in behind me ??
I said screw it and made a turn and headed west
Just because you have a fancy big rig doesn't mean you can be a bully and push people around
Oh wait .... I guess you can

This is brutal no excuse for it at all makes me sick it's a huge lake ton of room an fish for everyone what a asshole

Back