Off Topic Dipsey rings

Soup

Looking for consensus here about when people report their Dipsey line counter. I always assume unless stated otherwise that it’s WITH ring, since that’s how they are sold. So #1 Dipsey on 3 set to 100’ is around 40’ deep according to the chart. The same setup WITHOUT ring is somewhere between 30-35’ deep.

Depth varies not just by ring or no ring, but also by size, line and speed. If you do a search you will see a few charts posted (https://www.longpoint.on.ca/forum/index.php?threads/dipsys.30230/)

You can also get e precision trolling app, which is where most of the charts out there originally started. https://precisiontrollingdata.com/
These guys literally wrote the book on trolling and now have an app. You can buy info on a single item, or the entire bucket - which is a ton.
Somewhere, I have I copy of the book I bought when I first started fishing the big lakes. You are welcome to it if I can find it.

Personally, I took the rings off my number one dipsies. For fishing the north shore of Erie I will be fishing anywhere between 45 and 65 feet of water. My target is anywhere between 30 and 40 feet down depending on where I see the fish sitting inside rods set on one will be anywhere from 75 to 95 feet of line out. Will put you in the range minor adjustments as you see fit outside rods set on three anywhere from 1:20 to 150. I haven’t looked at the chart in a long time, I just adjust the rods as to which ones are firing. you want to get some room between your boat and your Luer this set up has worked well for me for eyes. If you are targeting bows, it is a different story you can fish faster and higher in the water column. They don’t care how close the Luer is to the boat they will hit it in the propwash. Good luck you’ll need to make changes on every outing us what works.

Thanks for the info @spincast however I’m mostly just interested to know the depth the fish are in the water column. Of course it changes continuously but it gets me a half decent idea where to start and then adjust from there.

Looking for consensus here about when people report their Dipsey line counter. I always assume unless stated otherwise that it’s WITH ring, since that’s how they are sold. So #1 Dipsey on 3 set to 100’ is around 40’ deep according to the chart. The same setup WITHOUT ring is somewhere between 30-35’ deep.
Correct

I think over time, most on here have made it known whether they fish ring on / ring off.

There is no need to run a ring to reach any depth for walleye in Erie.

No ring, further away from the boat to depth. If it doesn't matter to you or appear to make any difference in catch rate, run the ring.

For those who don't remember, all my reports/comments are based on ring off 🌻

I think over time, most on here have made it known whether they fish ring on / ring off.

There is no need to run a ring to reach any depth for walleye in Erie.

No ring, further away from the boat to depth. If it doesn't matter to you or appear to make any difference in catch rate, run the ring.

For those who don't remember, all my reports/comments are based on ring off 🌻
Ring on for me! Less line to reel in
Still put more fish in the boat then what’s needed

To even out the score, it’s ring Off for me. Same thinking as hvyhaul.

the dipsy dive chart assumes you use 20lb mono. Most people use braid, and it’ll go deeper as a result. It’s probably wrong, but I follow the “ring ON” depth chart but with ring off and braid and I assume the two things kind of cancel each other out.

To me the whole idea is getting it close to the right depth and away from the boat… if you want more exact depths, run a downrigger with a big weight…

I use most posts as a starting point. Someone saying 100 ft. Back on number 3 setting, doesn't give you all the information. Is he using 0,1 or 3 size dipsies. Braid or mono and what line strength. His reels are not calibrated the same as yours. I start at his settings, 100 ft on #3. Then very 10 to 20 minutes i will add or subtract 10ft. of line until I start catching fish. I use the 0 size dipsies with the ring.

I use most posts as a starting point. Someone saying 100 ft. Back on number 3 setting, doesn't give you all the information. Is he using 0,1 or 3 size dipsies. Braid or mono and what line strength. His reels are not calibrated the same as yours. I start at his settings, 100 ft on #3. Then very 10 to 20 minutes i will add or subtract 10ft. of line until I start catching fish. I use the 0 size dipsies with the ring.
How is this @ccr. 8.5' Rapala dipsy rod with Rapala line counter reel with 50LB braid to the #1 dipsy with a ring on it. Other end of dipsy with a 12" snubber and then a 6' 20lb flourocarbon leader and a ball bearing swivel and a Nascar 3.5" Great lakes spoon with the dipsy set on #3 and running back 85'. Boat traveling at 3.4 mph on the GPS but at 2.8 MPH at the ball on the fish hawk traveling west out of Glasgow in 68 fow in 2' rollers.

If people were to put all this info into their posts they might as well come out with you and catch the fish for you as well, lol,lol Like you say it is a good starting point. Some info is better than just posting a picture of the fish caught.

I throw away my rings on purchase. I may have a couple in a box somewhere. A lot of the salmon guys I've fished with over the years did the same. I don't know that you'll reach a solid consensus.

Lol you all sound like the guys in the commercial on TV talking fox " ring ding dingady ring ring " 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
What Does The Fox Say GIF

Back