PFD MANDATE FLOATED February 24, 2023

Get Hooked

Transport Canada (TC) is floating the idea of mandatory compliance of personal flotation devices (PFDs) and life jackets, through regional and national meetings of the Canadian Marine Advisory Council (CMAC).

Who must wear them
• Mandatory wearing of a PFD or a life jacket for any person aged 14 years or younger on board a pleasure craft; or
• Mandatory wearing of a PFD or a life jacket for any person aged 18 years or younger on board a pleasure craft.

Vessel size
• Mandatory wearing of a PFD or a life jacket for any person on board any pleasure craft six metres in length and below; or
• Mandatory wearing of a PFD or a life jacket for any person on board any pleasure craft nine metres in length and below.
Type of vessel
• Mandatory wearing of a PFD or a life jacket for any person on board any motorized vessel (i.e. powerboats); or
• Mandatory wearing of a PFD or a life jacket for any person on board any motorized vessel (i.e. powerboats) and human-powered vessels (i.e. canoes, kayaks)

Currently, boaters must have one life jacket on board per person, but they don’t have to be worn.

Attachments

• PFDS.jpeg
    PFDS.jpeg
    455.4 KB · Views: 7
The Neighbour and I now have inflatables, really don't notice them at all. Only valid when worn.

Kids need and must wear their own properly fitting life jacket at all times.

Non swimmers, no option.

No floaty no boaty.

My mandate. 🌻

Last edited:
It's a no brainer isn't it ? Seatbelts save lives... PFD's save lives. I don't think it should be mandatory if anchored but no matter what type of watercraft you are on and it's moving ? Absolutely ! I carry both kinds on my little boats ; inflatables for when I'm moving and regular ones to keep me legal and my first choice in case of bad weather.

Same as the others said. I wear mine most often and for kids there is zero question. My wife has been eyeing inflatable ones for us though, and if that came into force it might seal the deal. Maybe it is "Mustang Survival" who put them up to it? Kidding.

Not going too wear one .I don't need the nanny state to boss me around any more than they all ready try and do. What's next ban ice fishing? Are we all going to wear helmets every day incase we fall down? Approx 50 drownings last year and most were swimmers. Trust the government to bring in more laws for a non problem. I keep extras on board and any one who wants to can wear one. I have no problem with anyone's choice. I just want the choice. Hell ban snowmobiles and you'll save more people in just a couple weekends !

Sorry you feel that way about it. To each his own.

Sounds fun for kids who can’t wear inflatables in the middle of summer. Dripping in sweat while using a trolling motor on a weed edge. Wearing a full vest in 30 degree? Sounds like heat stroke to me. Love my kids, but I don’t think fishing a back bay is any different than jumping in my pool at home…..I hope the government doesn’t make me wear one in my pool……

I think this will be a long and divided topic amongst boaters
My view on the subject :
- in tournament fishing you must wear one and safety lanyard attached while under power , makes sense to me
- New York state from November till May must be worn regardless stationary or under power
Makes sense to me
- if myself only in the boat I'm wearing it all the time or if with someone under age / can't swim / can't operate the boat adequately
Makes sense to me
- with someone who is not above category I tend to not wear it
" it may be my demise "
-as for government telling you what to do " nany state " I worry about more serious action than life jacket mandatory
- everyone can make their own decisions and may or may not agree , either way if this becomes a law or not I'm still be going fishing / boating and enjoy it with the lightest pfd I can find and afford

Same as the others said. I wear mine most often and for kids there is zero question. My wife has been eyeing inflatable ones for us though, and if that came into force it might seal the deal. Maybe it is "Mustang Survival" who put them up to it? Kidding.
Something to keep in mind if buying an inflatable. I have the Mustang Hit Automatic Inflatable Model MD3153 that goes off as soon as you hit the water and every 5 years it needs a new rearm kit which costs $141.18 with shipping and taxes. Once it hits the expiry date it is no longer legal until you rearm it even if it still works. I have to order a new kit for mine before the season starts to remain legal.

Something to keep in mind if buying an inflatable. I have the Mustang Hit Automatic Inflatable Model MD3153 that goes off as soon as you hit the water and every 5 years it needs a new rearm kit which costs $141.18 with shipping and taxes. Once it hits the expiry date it is no longer legal until you rearm it even if it still works. I have to order a new kit for mine before the season starts to remain legal.
Good to know. I’ll have to check my expiry date.

I think this will be a long and divided topic amongst boaters
My view on the subject :
- in tournament fishing you must wear one and safety lanyard attached while under power , makes sense to me
- New York state from November till May must be worn regardless stationary or under power
Makes sense to me
- if myself only in the boat I'm wearing it all the time or if with someone under age / can't swim / can't operate the boat adequately
Makes sense to me
- with someone who is not above category I tend to not wear it
" it may be my demise "
-as for government telling you what to do " nany state " I worry about more serious action than life jacket mandatory
- everyone can make their own decisions and may or may not agree , either way if this becomes a law or not I'm still be going fishing / boating and enjoy it with the lightest pfd I can find and afford
Makes sense to me. :)

I think I will make my own decisions when it comes to myself. I do point out to all my boat visitors where and how to use my PFD’s. It’s their decision.

I don’t need this garbage-bag government telling me what to do.

Back