Perch Possession Limits! Please read

For those that think the US does not have a commercial fishery

"Ohio gets a larger share of Lake Erie's walleye, while the Ontario commercial industry gets a larger chunk of the yellow perch harvest. This year, Ontario was allocated about 5.969 million pounds of yellow perch, while Ohio's quota for sport and commercial fishermen was 4.895 million"

BD

Yer right BD, just had family up from Ohio and they can't believe the amount of walleye we catch up here! They do love the perch though. From what they've told me they get VERY few bows either.

Question: How long, REALISTICALLY can you freeze perch before it starts to get freezer burn?
My experience has been 3 months....maybe you can stretch it to 4 months. After that, I've always found the fish, regardless of how you pack it, loses a great deal of flavour and pushes risk to freezer burn.
If you freeze it packed in water it will last a lot longer without the freezer burn. Froze some last fall and ate them this spring with many compliments on the good fish.

I think that many people go over their possession limits. I also think that many people feed many more people than themselves when it comes to cooking fish ie: fish fry's. I am of the mind that you ask for 100% compliance and expect 75%. If people start being allowed to possess 100, you can bet that there will be people who freeze many more. If the Americans have no possession limit on the other side, no amount of raising is going to bring them over here if they are just on a meat hunt.
The perch are there in LPB, I saw tons on Sunday. Just remember, I am a Largemouth guy, and I think you are all fishing too deep!

I'm with you Big Dave.....I don't see any reason that the possession limit can"t be raised. After all the limit for the commercial guys are raised and lowered all the time.....I have had some darn good eating of 6 month frozen perch...

Freezer burn is just meat or fish that has had the moisture taken out of it.....you can cut this off and still enjoy the fish or meat.

"Ohio gets a larger share of Lake Erie's walleye, while the Ontario commercial industry gets a larger chunk of the yellow perch harvest. This year, Ontario was allocated about 5.969 million pounds of yellow perch, while Ohio's quota for sport and commercial fishermen was 4.895 million"

BD
I believe Ohio still spends tax dollars to stock the walleye population. (I may be wrong....but the last I saw, there was quite a substantial amount of cash being spent on the walleye fishery there.)

Last edited:
Freezer burn is just meat or fish that has had the moisture taken out of it.....you can cut this off and still enjoy the fish or meat.
Yikes....throw it away....what a waste! Would rather not get it to that point. (And completely honest, there isn't anything better than FRESH for anything! lol)

Yikes....You can't be serious....12 walleye as well...? Got no room for another freezer...!
Not a biologist and wouldn't want to see this thread become an argument about what the lake will sustain and who puts the biggest hurt on fish populations cause one has to appreciate and understand the varying opinions and livelyhoods as well as the daily versus possesion limits......
50 is perfect...(The fuel bill hurts a bit but still truly a blessing)....JMO
Freeze in Ziplock Bags with water and no air....(not all 50 in 1 bag)
Make sure the ones you have are enjoyed...then repeat......
PS: I tend to think like whoever said "be careful what you wish for"
Pete

:)

Yikes....You can't be serious....12 walleye as well...? Got no room for another freezer...!
Not a biologist and wouldn't want to see this thread become an argument about what the lake will sustain and who puts the biggest hurt on fish populations cause one has to appreciate and understand the varying opinions and livelyhoods as well as the daily versus possesion limits......
50 is perfect...(The fuel bill hurts a bit but still truly a blessing)....JMO
Freeze in Ziplock Bags with water and no air....(not all 50 in 1 bag)
Make sure the ones you have are enjoyed...then repeat......
PS: I tend to think like whoever said "be careful what you wish for"
Pete

:)
LMAO.....50 in one bag wouldn't be perch anymore.....it'd be those tasty SMELT!!!! (Sure wish you could net them off the beach like the 70's. I still remember going down to the beach with my Dad, bonfire and marshmellows while the men dragged the nets.) I know there are still smelt there, but don't see it near as often in stores like you use to - -occasionally Metro will have them.

I just spoke with a friend in Ohio. They have a daily but no limit on possession, Best we let them keep them all I guess:confused:

BD

No possession limit is the silliest thing I have ever heard. Maybe the OMNR isn't so bad after all. ;)

I still say 50 jumbo perch is plenty for any one angler. I've never even taken a full limit myself in fear of having to clean them all.

Hi Big Dave. It's a conundrum for me. Will it hurt the fishery? I doubt it. Will a bunch of fish get wasted due to freezer burn? I think so. We must also remember that there are recommendations on how much fish we should eat from each of the Great Lakes. At the end of the day we are all grown ups. For some reason we all like to brag about catching a limit, not a shot Dave, i love your reports and respect what you do. The question for me is what is the upside and what is the down side.

my best, Clark

I get it Walleye. I had a guy from Michigan call today, he and a group of friends wanted to come up and fish eyes and perch. 5 of them, when I told them the possession limit they declined. I lost out, a walleye charter, local business, restaurants, licenses, bait, gas, tackle. It is endless

Thanks for not a shot, I provide a service. I will never ne McDonalds where they used to advertise a billion served.....:D

just wonder how many can you buy legally if you where to go to the fish market in port Stanley or Dover. if i where going to have a fish fry this weekend and wanted to buy 30 lbs which would be over a hundred fish am i breaking the law or is it ok because a commercial guy caught them in a net.

Hi Dave. To be sure. I brag about big fish and limits so no cheap shot. I worked in the fly out fishing and hunting business for 13 years. Most don't know how hard the work is and the investment dollar wise. like I said, a conundrum. I truly love reading your reports.

Cheers, Clark

How in heavens name can they calculate how many fish are caught sportfishing?

BD

just wonder how many can you buy legally if you where to go to the fish market in port Stanley or Dover. if i where going to have a fish fry this weekend and wanted to buy 30 lbs which would be over a hundred fish am i breaking the law or is it ok because a commercial guy caught them in a net.
When the Firefighters in Selkirk have their annual fish fry there are something like 300 or more seated in the 3 hour dinner. 4 fish per customer makes at least 1200 perch. Buying any fish retail isn't being caught angling, only those caught by angling go towards your limit. I wonder how many perch are in the freezer at the Erie Beach Hotel in Dover? More than 100 I guess. Hope they keep the receipts. There are many a restraint I know of that will buy Perch from anglers well below market prices.

I have never thought of it but you may be contributing to crime raising the limit. \\tongue in cheek.

BD

How in havens name can they calculate how many are caught sport fishing?

When the Firefighters in Selkirk have their annual fish fry there are something like 300 or more seated in the 3 hour dinner. 4 fish per customer makes at least 1200 perch. Buying any fish retail isn't being caught angling, only those caught by angling go towards your limit. I wonder how many perch are in the freezer at the Erie Beach Hotel in Dover? More than 100 I guess. Hope they keep the receipts. There are many a restraint I know of that will buy Perch from anglers well below market prices.

I have never thought of it but you may be contributing to crime raising the limit. \\tongue in cheek.

No possession limit is the silliest thing I have ever heard. Maybe the OMNR isn't so bad after all. ;)

I still say 50 jumbo perch is plenty for any one angler. I've never even taken a full limit myself in fear of having to clean them all.

There was a time Quinn when there was no limit on Perch in Ontario, probably before you were born. 2 green garbage bags of Perch could be had in Atherly in a few hours. If there was please correct me, if there was we were young kids that were ignorant of the regs. I don't even know if regs were published in the 50's.

What a great thread. I love how there are so many differing opinions here and NO ONE started name-calling or made personal jabs. Very respectful and a lot of learning being shared. Thanks for starting the thread, BD!
Ken

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks