COOLERS

fishlessam

Looking for a new marine cooler for the boat for next year, what do you all have/use/recommend , something that is durable, keeps ice for long time, lightweight and won’t break the bank, can’t believe the prices these days.

I use a Coleman Marine cooler..keeps ice forever and is light weight and watch for a sale and you can get them at a good price.
Maybe you should list a price you’re willing to pay for people to give you a good suggestion.

I have this 100 qt Coleman cooler. Did not pay near the current price. Buy it on sale.

100qt (1).jpg

Coleman Cooler

Holds lots, keeps ice for days, only issue is if you are successful at filling it with quality sized fish, be prepared to repair and brace the swing up handle.

Have had to do it twice.

I think for the price the Coleman extreme ones are tough to beat. I watched a cooler shootout a few years ago where it was every bit as good as a Yeti or Pelican for keeping ice but less than half the price. If you can pick one up one sale even better. Only problem I have ever had with them is that the hinges for the lid have broken on every one I ever owned but it’s an easy fix.

I use a Coleman Marine cooler..keeps ice forever and is light weight and watch for a sale and you can get them at a good price.
Maybe you should list a price you’re willing to pay for people to give you a good suggestion.
Been eyeing one of them up
Just haven’t pulled the trigger yet
Maybe next year

I think for the price the Coleman extreme ones are tough to beat. I watched a cooler shootout a few years ago where it was every bit as good as a Yeti or Pelican for keeping ice but less than half the price. If you can pick one up one sale even better. Only problem I have ever had with them is that the hinges for the lid have broken on every one I ever owned but it’s an easy fix.
Hi Merkinbrumsky,

What did you use to repair the broken hinges? These are great coolers until the hinges let go after several years.

Hi Merkinbrumsky,

What did you use to repair the broken hinges? These are great coolers until the hinges let go after several years.
I think @stomp used one of @Mrs. Stomp place mats.
Cut out and screwed on, in replace of the hinges
he posted photos in a thread a while back 👍 😂

I still have and use my vintage model 5294A coleman cooler..ya my parents bought it for my new boat back in 1985...it is heavly insulated quality..perfect size for the boat ...it holds 2 man limits of salmon, bows, 3 man limits of walleyes..I replaced the hinges once with coleman model replacement hinges..
I have two 95 litre igloo coolers I bought in Deer Lake.. worked great for transporting cargos of processed & frozen pkged NLFD moose, caribou cod halibut and one big alberta elk still frozen right to my door step...they are like new condition still with the labels..

Hi Merkinbrumsky,

I have a few of them. On one I used a couple pieces of thick leather from an old belt I had laying around.
the one I use most often I put these on

You can also buy the original plastic ones for a few bucks but they don’t last.o

Attachments

• 9BC1AEC0-9559-40E3-B6E2-946789284794.png
    9BC1AEC0-9559-40E3-B6E2-946789284794.png
    497.2 KB · Views: 9
Yes hinges & handles break often, you can buy the stainless steel replacements but not cheap. Yeti and pelican are 2 of the most expensive ones, igloo/ Coleman far cheaper but not sure about the quality/durability

I had to replace mine mid summer because of broken hinges...

I bought a Extreme 5 70qt off Facebook Marketplace for $50 like new...

Yah and get 6-8 printed on them please and thank you

Why don't you make custom hinges for 6-8 members with the rest of it?

Another 6-8 first, left and right cooler hinges.
I think the Marketing Team was working feverishly on a 6-8 thong during the August heatwave, but couldn't "pull things together" ahead of Labour Day. Here's an early prototype...
Dance Speedo GIF

maybe next year for the 6-8 thong and the hinges?

Back