Cleaning fish...thoughts?

katlin10

I know Owen Sound has a big fish cleaning station at the boat launch but I haven't seen any at the marinas on Erie. Where does everybody clean their fish? Are there cleaning stations at any of the marinas that you know of? I've also heard of people cleaning their fish onboard and throwing the waste overboard.

Clean mine at home in the driveway. Throw fish guts in a hole in the garden. Rarely smell it, and if it does get stinky it’s only for a day or two.

I think theres a cleaning station in one marina in Burwell, I also think its $10 to use it. A couple of friends bought cleaning tables from Basspro/Sail and happy with them. I cant put it in my back yard because I live close to a river and it will bring raccoons and other critters for sure so I clean at home and freeze waste till garbage day

I clean mine at home , and since our recycle is every 2 weeks ,I double bag the carcasses and put them in the chest freezer until Mon morning and take them out and empty the bag of carcasses on the side of the back road . Come back after work and they are pretty much all gone .( buzzards I think)The next day definitely gone .Be sure to take your garbage and take a clean wet cloth to wipe your hands afterwards

Those cleaning tables from bass pro are a waste of money, just buy a regular folding table and 2 buckets
One bucket for cleaned fillets and one for waste

rinse off with garden hose when done.

The cleaning station at Big Otter is a big plus. If I do it at home I use the bass pro cleaning table. They are great because you can adjust them to suit your height.

We did a charter in Florida and the public ramp had a cleaning station. Great set up, had a grinder that you put the guts in and it was ground, mixed with water and pumped back into the ocean. A lot of people were fishing at the discharge because it attracted more fish.

I would guess they would need to be winterized here but they would be handy.

Does anybody out there clean their fish onboard and throw the guts overboard? Are you even allowed to do that?
I do. I cannot find anything in the Fishing Regs to prohibit cleaning out there. I make sure I'm at least 1 to 1 1/2 km off shore so I'm fairly certain the carcass will not wash up.

Clean at home and dump the carcasses in the bush on the farm behind us. The coons and yotes eat well. Saturday afternoon two weeks ago I threw the bucket of guts in the boys truck, closed the tailgate and the phone rings. It's his younger brother looking to be picked up from work. Got shooting the breeze with his boss and forgot all about the fish guts under the tonneu cover until the young lad called me on Monday morning. I guess when he got to work and dropped the gate to load up for the day the smell was quite overpowering.

Clean at home, freeze the guts then out with the trash on garbage day. Or more likely I forget they are in the freezer and some time around January I say “what is this??” and then out with the trash.

I do both methods depending on the day.

If the fish are cleaned at home, depending on when "whole" garbage day, the guts either go out or into the deep freeze until that day.

If on board, fillets etc are bagged and iced, and the remainder is returned to the lake.

Big Otter Marina in Burwell has a nice big cleaning station.
$5 if you are not docked there.

$5 to use a good cleaning station isn't bad at all.

I always clean'em at home because that's where all my stuff is, (knives, vacuum sealer etc) and depending on when garbage day is I'll either just put the bag with the carcasses in it double bagged in the bins in the shed or I'll freeze them until garbage day and then put them out. I've apologized a couple times for the stench when they come to take it away on garbage day, but they always say the same thing, "it stinks, never noticed" :LOL:

By the time I get off the lake I am usually beat and just happy to pack up the boat and get on the road to head home. Clean at home and discard the guts in the country (I live in the country) on a back road with no close residents. They are usually gone by the next dump off. Long time back I thought they would be great fertilizer for wife's perennials so buried some...they were dug up with the perennials the next morning :oops:

I clean on the water and have been boarded multiple times in Leam by a CO doing a creel count. One
even said "why doesn't everyone do this, so much easier for me to count." I keep a few extra big zip lock bags and they put fish from one bag to another so they stay clean. Haven't been checked this year.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks