So whats the deal with erie bows

Dewworm

So after my first year of erie-itice, I notice that bows are a common occurence.. recently I've noticed some guys not keeping bows..why...the meat on them is supper looking.. especially the smaller bullets..
Someone mentioned you have to smoke them , others have said they just release them..
A friend ate one last year and he said they were good..
I want to smoke some as I dont care much fo a slab of rainbow to eat, but i am a little leary after reading some posts..

I don't know what the issue is either. On holidays last week we smoked some and also cedar planked some, the whole family loved it. (just be sure to scrape off the brown meat on bottom) We might have overdone in the smoker but I blame the beers on that one, lol!!

Attachments

• Bow 1.jpg
    Bow 1.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 85
  • Bow2.jpg
    Bow2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 80
So after my first year of erie-itice, I notice that bows are a common occurence.. recently I've noticed some guys not keeping bows..why...the meat on them is supper looking.. especially the smaller bullets..
Someone mentioned you have to smoke them , others have said they just release them..
A friend ate one last year and he said they were good..
I want to smoke some as I dont care much fo a slab of rainbow to eat, but i am a little leary after reading some posts..
What is an effective baite if you want to target Bows?

bd.

They're good eats if you ask me, particularly the small to medium sized ones and not just when smoked. Take off the fillets, pull the pin bones with tweezers, take off the skin, trim off the fatty bits, season to your liking, grill on a little foil 'boat' or broil in the oven. Simple and tasty. Maybe serve with a lemon slice, boiled or baked taters, veggies. A little easier on the waistline than the usual fish and chips.

Maybe its due to the fact that they are more contaminated..that why I smoke it..I dont eat alot of smoked fish at one time..1 or 2 packs a month..less than what you would consume at one dinner..

Bows are excellent tablefare... Clean them properly and cook properly... Delicious...

I fillet them ( bleed them first) and cut off all belly meat... We plank them on the BBQ either cedar or maple... I prefer the tail section...

We usually do up a extra piece and make into salad sandwich the next day... Awesome...IMG_20200707_112412.jpg

Neighbour just sent me this, Sunday's Rainbows. ?

smkr.jpg

This, like usual will be delicious.

We bleed everything on the boat in the livewell running constantly to flush the blood out of it.

View attachment 24871

We bleed everything on the boat in the livewell running constantly to flush the blood out of it.
When you bleed them..... Do you cut their gills or just cut their throat? Do you do that immediately after catching?

View attachment 24871

I bleed every thing in the dead well too..I like the puck spacers in that pic..I need some for my Bradley..I've got 3 bows from yesterday and time from the freezer gonna do some smokehouse steelhead candy..looks good I'll see how it tastes and report.

The contamination level is worrisome to some, just put the big girls back if it is.
Like all salmon/trout, remove the belly meat and the dark fat and you remove a lot of contaminants.
I find sometimes you get a fish with really pale colored flesh and stronger...I was told it might be from eating smelt as a main forage?? We do portions on cedar planks on the BBQ and smoked. I love them.

The contamination level is worrisome to some, just put the big girls back if it is.
Like all salmon/trout, remove the belly meat and the dark fat and you remove a lot of contaminants.
I find sometimes you get a fish with really pale colored flesh and stronger...I was told it might be from eating smelt as a main forage?? We do portions on cedar planks on the BBQ and smoked. I love them.
All belly and lateral line removed from trout and salmon..this is important for taste too..hell I zipper my walley filets too..I'm starting to smoke my fish with skin off I find it a better chew..

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks