Where to take smaller boat?

demonseed

Hey Guys
I am new to the forum. I have a small aluminum boat I think 12 footer, with 9.9 hp motor. Is there any safe places to fish with it? Any suggestions on where I can take it with small kids to catch lots of fish? I was thinking the inner bay of Long point, however I am in Caledonia. I am not sure where to launch the boat and where to go.

Last edited:
With a 12 footer you are pretty restricted. If you launch and stay close to the launch site the west end of the Inner Bay that is accessible from Port Rowan to Long Point Provincial Park should be OK. I use my 14' boat there while duck hunting without to many problems. Prevailing winds are SW or W and you typically have some protection there. The fishing for pan fish , bass and pike is also relatively good. Also the west end is not impacted by the Sanctuary and can be fished. You have a choice of several launch sites including the Park. Bait is also readily available.

Launch it at Fishmasters in Dunnville on the Grand River or at the trailer park in Cayuga. There are ramps above the Caledonia dam but the fishing there is slow if it's fish you are looking for. Another close spot for you is Port Dover Marina. No need to go out into Erie, you have many choices close to Caledonia.

Oh and welcome to Stomps 6-8.

Are u saying fish in the marina? My bro did take the point into the inner bay I am not sure if it's safe and if there's fish. What can be caught in dunville? I would love to be able to catch pearch

They usually frown on fishing in any marina. There are many species in the Grand. You might catch a perch but you will need to go out to do it. It seems boating is new to you. Do you have all the safety gear you need, etc?

The inner bay hasn't any fish in it ( just kidding). There is a fish sanctuary there too. Know where you are going before you launch anywhere. Read the fishing and boating regs online and learn them. Do you have your boating card?

No stupid questions just stupid answers.

I do have a boating card. I own a boat my dad and I went half several years ago. I have not had it out in like 5 years although it has been used the last few years by my brother. I am aware there is a fish sanctuary just not exactly sure where it is and how to know where it is. I have had this boat in the inner bay before and it seemed ok, I just was not sure if I should have. I am not sure where to launch from that is closest to me. In regards to dover, did you mean go out into erie but stay close?

Pick you days, stay in close and watch th weather closely. Look at the top links Stomp has to show maps and wind forecast websites. Erie can blow up in a hurry so be very cautious. What other members are trying to tell you is valid, Don't try and venture out very far and hav all your safety items with you. A hand held VHF (you need a license) is a great non-mandatory , valuable thing to have. Good luck and enjoy!

I own a boat my dad and I went half several years ago. I have not had it out in like 5 years although it has been used the last few years by my brother. In regards to dover, did you mean go out into erie but stay close?

Yep, sounds like some brothers I know.

Fish the channel going into the marina, around where the Coast Guard station is and the rock wall on the lake side too close to shore, there are perch in there, wind permitting. Work your way up the river past the other Marinas. Once you get past the million dollar homes you will think you are up north. If all you are getting is Largemouths move.

These aren't secret spots.

if you are just simply looking to catch a good flow of fish to keep the kids entertained with a few bonus keepers for the table best bet may be to launch at the old cut and go straight out of the marina in five feet of water and fish with minnows. You will catch perch, rock bass, bass (oos) and maybe a pike. However be very cautious of the wind and weather

The Grand in Dunnville is a good place like WhatsthePoint mentioned. You can fish right at the mouth around the end of the pier/rock pile area and pick up perch there. Further up the river you can get catfish, walleye sheephead. Lots to keep the kids busy and all you really need are dew worms and minnows.

A 14 with a 9.9 is not much motor for heading far out into the bay. If the lake is like glass not too bad but it's a slow ride.
We had a 14 with a 25 on it and with 3 adults it was still a slow ride but can keep enough plane to stay above the normal 2-3 ft rollers.

Yep, sounds like some brothers I know.

Fish the channel going into the marina, around where the Coast Guard station is and the rock wall on the lake side too close to shore, there are perch in there, wind permitting. Work your way up the river past the other Marinas. Once you get past the million dollar homes you will think you are up north. If all you are getting is Largemouths move.

These aren't secret spots.
Is this I'm dover?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks