what's everyone's take on this?

Dicker

after turkey hunting, I went to go check out why the turkey's wouldn't come any closer, found this claw mark on a tree along the way
pretty damn freaky considering that I walked into my blind around 3:00 in the morning!
look at it close, what could do a scrape like this?
looked online at badger....nope,looked at couger scrapes and looks exactly like one

what ever it is it looks big there is nothing around here to make scratch marks
like that unless there is something around that is unkown did you see any
tracks.It's possible it could be a cougar do you know how old the scratches
are/or look

Last edited:
Did some more looking and found that this could be a posability
it's a bobcat

Attachments

• 3329300389_8d33aff55a_o.jpg
    3329300389_8d33aff55a_o.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 70
Charged the batteries this weekend!
I'll try and keep it up for a month and see what I get on it after that, not planning on hunting there anymore until I can see what the hell this thing is, gun or no gun!

Wow:wideyed: my guess that would be from a cougar...only thing that I can think that might be in this area that could do that!! I've heard a number of stories of people seeing them either on game cams or in person in southern ontario....but those could just be stories :D still a pretty unsettling thing to see in yer hunting area!

Went back to the tree and put my trail cam out
also took some more pics of stuff around the tree (within 50 yards)
tracks are in mud and look older (could be from a dog for all I know), but they were in the woods right with the feces I found (used my winchester sx3 for comparison)

WOW dicker it looks like it might be a cougar have you thought about talking to the mnr
and have them look at this if it is a cougar someone might get hurt or worse

my buddy lives on town line and 13 sideroad, he works afternoons and he saw a cougar a few years ago in the ditch . he told me and i said your on crack, he swears to this day it was a cougar.
i have also heard urban legends of MNR stocking cougars to keep the deer population down but thats just sh@# talk over beers no confirmation i have ever read is out there. but that definetly is a big animal for sure.

call the mnr in dover those peeps there are really cool and are interested, i showed them my eye that was all messedup with MS they told me. after looking at it closely.

The best cougar deterrent is to run faster than the guy beside you! Works well on bears also.

Please don't beat me up for this but I believe that is a rub from a very aggressive adult buck. I have seen similar many times in my hunting area, especially
on those soft pine or poplar trees. Some times as high as 5 feet above ground. The scat (turd) you show is likely coyote as I read on line that a cougar is a primary
hunter and rarely injests any hair, preferring only the choice meat on its kill.

I was also thinking a buck rub from last fall, i've seen similar rubs in my hunting areas too. Hopefully your game camera shows us the truth!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks