Fishing Report Walleye Port Stanley - July 17th

Wave Runner

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
I thought I would give Port Stanley a shot this morning for walleye with Darren. Started in 53 ft. planning on putting out 2 lead core at 5 colour straight off the back and 2 lead core on the boards using Ripplin Redfins. After the great reports by @ Duck Soup and others I thought it was a no-brainer. I put the first line in and no sooner put the rod in the holder when first walleye was on. I knew it was going to be a good day after that when 3 more went in the box before ever getting the second rod in. Finally got the first board out then went to the other side to start when the board went off. No sooner got that one in when the first rod went off again, 4th time. Eventually I got the second board out and before I could put the rod in the holder it went off then 2 seconds later the other side went off. Now I’m starting to sweat! I got Darren to swing the boat around to go back and finally got the fourth rod in and this is were it got really busy. One rod went off which I grabbed, then another went off which Darren grabbed leaving the steering unattended but we were with the waves now so it was fine. That is until the third pole went off! We managed to land all 3 and now we have 11 of our 12 fish limit in the cooler and you guessed it another one on. I net it and we are 12 for 12 on walleye. They went from 2 lbs. up to 9 lbs. with most in between.

I then look at my watch and it’s 7:45 am, a total of an hour and 15 minuets to limit. But did I mention one of the fish got into the other line which took me 10 minutes to untangle? We look at each other thinking now what? We just got started now it's over? So I said lets just put down 2 down riggers with my hottest bow spoons to see if we can pick up a few bows trolling at 3.2 mph which should keep the wallys away. Yep... more walleye banging on them too which we released unharmed So I said we better call it a day that literally just got started. I’m not complaining but this morning was almost too busy for this senior. o_O :D

bruce14.png

bruce8.png

bruce13.png

bruce9.png

Thanks for the Fantastic Fishing Report @Wave Runner.(y) And now "That's Fishing!" (y) You decided for me on where I should go Fishing this week,& Port Stanley,It Is!! Or,It was either Long Point Bay for more Bass,or Lake Huron for Salmon,Trout,Walleye's.I am looking forward hopefully to have as much Success as you did off Port Stanley through this week.Tight Lines,& See you on the water,off Port Stanley.(y)

Wow. What a morning. Good to hear all the numbers being caught. Going to try the night fish tomorrow down in Bruce, first time out in awhile so hoping for the best. Ripplin redfins are clearly the ticket right now, hope to have pics up tomorrow night!

Bob,

every once in a while fisherman should experience day like you guys had today....like I and Arnie had on lake O. couple weeks ago with 4 rods all having salmon on, 10 min after starting.....or like Arnie me and Paul had last year with 6 rods all having fish.....doesn't happen every time but it gets your blood going when it does.

Interestingly you found bit bigger size too....

Great report and nice pictures.
Thanks.

Cheers,
Ice Fisherman

Nice going Bob. I was talking to Emil and he sounded pretty excited after looking at the photos you posted. Will probably head out tomorrow from Burwell . Doubt we can match your success but hope to also get a few.

impressive-----going to be hard to beat that Bob-----then again-----dunno with your success lately(y):)
That's for sure Gord as days like that don't happen very often where you don't even get time for a breather.
I'm just glad it wasn't 10 colours out, I'd still be reeling. :LOL:

Last edited:
Nice going Bob. I was talking to Emil and he sounded pretty excited after looking at the photos you posted. Will probably head out tomorrow from Burwell . Doubt we can match your success but hope to also get a few.

That's what I like about you Arnie and also Emil, your both extremely successful but very humble.
Oh I'm quite sure with your talents that when you guys report back today you won't have just a few but a boat load of walleye.
Burwell and Stanley are definitely the 2 hottest spots going right now.
I was marking non-stop fish from 53-57 ft. yesterday all high 18-25 ft. down and amazingly I saw no nets at Stanley.
Talked to several on the radio who were struggling for fish at Bruce while dodging the numerous nets that are everywhere.
Good luck today out of Burwell and thanks for the tip on the Ripplin' Redfins! :)

Oh yes just want to mention the Redfins were the hottest lure for us back in the walleye glory days of the 1980s out of Port Glasgow.
Only had those hard pulling Pink Lady's back then to get us down but usually produced a 4 man limit in a mere 2 hours.
Glasgow then was an amazing fishery of unlimited walleye and Cohoe salmon producing many quadruple knock offs.

Last edited:
Back