Fishing Report Walleye - Five-Mile/Elbow - Thursday, July 28th

Duck Soup

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Albert, Canvasback and I were anxious to give the walleye a try after reading chefboyardee's report last week. Unfortunately we never found a school of active fish. We fished 6 lines, using 2 boards, one 7 colour lead core line, 2 dipsy's, 2 riggers, worm harnesses, spoons, Riplin Redfins and some body baits in 45 to 70 fow between the Elbow and straight out from Nanticoke (the east end of the Five Mile). We caught a fair number of white bass and sheephead but only one walleye that came off a downrigger 100 feet back, down 40 feet using a gold Riplin Redfin clean in 45 fow. A really nice morning except for cooperative pickerel.

we managed 2 this morning and lost 4 more rookies on the charter i worked today. all on hanesses again bubble gum was the color today

Had Wilson and More or Les out today for a fish finding mission. Have been fishing well west but the water has changed a lot in the past week so thought we'd see what's in the August spots. We looked for a couple of hours deep just east of peacock.....only 1 eye although lots of marks....picked up and ran deep. Found an active bunch of rainbows and cohos way out there so we ended up having a lot of fun. May look east again after the winds ....the harnesses that were great 3 years ago did not do the trick for us. Bubble gum is not a colour I normally use.....off to spend more money.

Bubblegum? All theses odd bait names and colours! A new code?

Read the label on the boxes -- there are some fun names. I bought monkey puke cause it was called monkey puke.... It has thankfully caught a few rainbow so I feel better about it ;) Pink Panties was another great lure. My dad lost it overboard a week or so ago. Can't find another one! But it could have been called bubble gum.

Tbanks JRR. Always on the lookout for Pink Panties. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot? I have looked for these "off colour" names - obviously shopping in the wrong spots.

Try greasy chicken wing with a copper back if you want an all time go to spoon. Rarely doesn't produce. But it seems copper for me out produces the chrome back one.

Try greasy chicken wing with a copper back if you want an all time go to spoon. Rarely doesn't produce. But it seems copper for me out produces the chrome back one.
I had that spoon on the port side dipsy the entire time. Agree it's an awesome lure but on Thursday only the sheephead couldn't resist it

water clarity in eastern erie is different and has clear visability then in the west...yes you can see the difference...it seems copper works well the further west you go...silver streak minis match the size of smelt i cut out of the rainbow stomachs the other day...I do believe specific colour patterns in copper work better then others....silver streaks jerry lee copper glow and copper confusion has out fished all my other favorites and has caught my only coho so far this season...the erieau marina has posted fishin report after fishin report for years that the jerry lee copper is there top producer ...I first fished the jerry lee copper out of wheatly 0ver 12 years ago and we caught a 2 man limit of rainbows by 9 am...my black and gold AC shiner (375) is one of my favorite body bait for central basin walleye i sometimes use a small piece of worm on one hook of the middle treble

Last edited:
Tbanks JRR. Always on the lookout for Pink Panties. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot? I have looked for these "off colour" names - obviously shopping in the wrong spots.
Angling Outfitters has all these crazy colours and more, along with all your fishing needs .
Closed Monday Aug. 1st.

Back