Turkey Hunting, what a burn???

Sure hope so along with anyone who has a vested stake in it , monetarily or not . NWTF are probably your biggest voice in it , seeing they made their dream come to life . Now that I think about it , It's too bad these pheasant programs haven't done as well , seeing i pay for a township license to hunt rabbits and pheasant . I know they're trying but the birds just don't seem to be cooperating like the turkeys have . I've only seen four pheasants over the last 15 years or so in the wild and two were out of season .

I meant that as in the NWTF left Canada because the market here is terrible. They helped back in the day when we actually had government that wanted to work with conservation orgs now we just have idiots who keep voting liberal and in return they keep destroying the natural resources budget further and further every year.

I meant that as in the NWTF left Canada because the market here is terrible. They helped back in the day when we actually had government that wanted to work with conservation orgs now we just have idiots who keep voting liberal and in return they keep destroying the natural resources budget further and further every year.
Yah . I got ya on that . Thing hear is , we're just blowing off steam and it will probably take a lot more to catch an ear unless the right person reads this and acts on it . I think OFAH for example is well aware of whats going on but it's getting a positive and quick response at these meetings with the government . Otherwise things keep getting put on the back burner and forgotten about .

Consider yourself very lucky then @can't miss!! I have no property of my own and the property I have permission to hunt on is very limited for good setup choices and is surronded by property owned by others so a turkey there today could be shot by another hunter tomorrow. I've spent many season with nothing to show for but a unused turkey tag!! Turkey hunting IS a challenge and a challenge I love and look forward to every season! I also hate paying the increased price for a tag but as I stated I love it and the time being in nature where I'm away from work, my phone and the hustle of city life is priceless. I would also like to see spring tags transfer over to fall and imo I can't see why this would be a problem because of the shortened fall season and the fact that most hunters are concentrating on deer hunting anyway. So I guess I'm just saying be thankful for the hunting opportunities we all have because some hunters are not as fortunate as others!! OK there my rant is over :D
Bassaholic . I can relate to the hunting privilege thing . As a teen I could walk for miles and not hunt the same land in a day . But over the years , farmers became more concerned about liability and vandalism . Farms changed ownership and there went that . This topic of access to hunting has been brought up before and I just want to say " I'm with you guy . I'm there too ". More time spent on public lands and squeezing in a couple hours here or there during the week before the rest show up on the weekend . For those who have that private little slice of heaven be responsible and enjoy it.

I believe the NWTF left due to our tax laws and not the cost of a licence. They had a good trap and transfer program going and it was near the end of the program as well. If they had stayed I'm sure they would have started on habitat improvement and acquisition as they have done in the US. As for pheasants yes they are not native and currently it is a put and take program. Norfolk County together with other organisations releases birds every year on their properties and some LPRCA properties. If we had the resources we could trap and transfer wild birds from Alberta or the US but we don't have the funds. Our area has the wrong habitat for Prairie Chickens but at one time quail were considered and with all the wild NCC properties around it may be time to bring quail back. NCC doesn't want any pheasants released on their properties but since quail were once native they may be on board with that. TC

I believe the NWTF left due to our tax laws and not the cost of a licence. They had a good trap and transfer program going and it was near the end of the program as well. If they had stayed I'm sure they would have started on habitat improvement and acquisition as they have done in the US. As for pheasants yes they are not native and currently it is a put and take program. Norfolk County together with other organisations releases birds every year on their properties and some LPRCA properties. If we had the resources we could trap and transfer wild birds from Alberta or the US but we don't have the funds. Our area has the wrong habitat for Prairie Chickens but at one time quail were considered and with all the wild NCC properties around it may be time to bring quail back. NCC doesn't want any pheasants released on their properties but since quail were once native they may be on board with that. TC
I just want to be able to hunt what I want without being priced out of the sport or line somebodies pocket just so i can fight over a first come first serve park and hunt space . I'll just stay the course with what I have left for now till I have no more choices , money or effort left to waste !

I just want to be able to hunt what I want without being priced out of the sport or line somebodies pocket just so i can fight over a first come first serve park and hunt space . I'll just stay the course with what I have left for now till I have no more choices , money or effort left to waste !

I agree with you there. When I hunted NY a non-resident deer licence was $100 but a resident was $15 including a fall turkey tag! I find it very ironic with the Liberals "go green" agenda with solar and wind mills that they constantly underfund the Ministry which looks after our land, minerals and water leaving it up to sportsmen to top up what we can. TC

As a former member of a NWTF chapter I am glad they took their ball and went home, it was because the Canadian government figured out that they were taking a crap load of money out of Canada with very little to no tax being paid. Anyone that went to a banquet that they held could tell that it was a money grab with very little returned to the area that the club was in, in three years as a member we got some turkey friendly plants that would provide food to plant, it was 14 years ago so my memory is a little foggy but I think it was about 1000 I believe on private land so we never got to go back to see their progress, got a couple of them to plant on property that either you own or hunt, 4 of them to be exact, whoopee I know that we sent at least 40 000$ plus down to the head office over 3 years with squat to show and the same lame jokes from the Canadian president over and over . As for cost its part of the game, nobody says you have to hunt with the best equipment, I listen to the guys at work talking about a round of golf and that's a waste of money, 40-70 bucks for four hours. Just my 2 cents.

It's all part of the program of this Liberal government. Notice your driver's license going up every year when you renew. Same thing. They waste, we pay, they waste more.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks