Turkey Hunting, what a burn???

can't miss

Thought about this rant for a bit now? So easy hard core turkey hunters , only one man's opinion?
What a rip off, $30 something per tag, for the privilege to hunt the magnificent bird? Guess we have to fund the MNR some how? How else can they stay on the sunshine list?
Just to be up front, years ago, shortly after the re-introduction period, I sat threw the required seminar to get a turkey licence. What a bunch of bullshite? Harder to hunt then a whitetail? Will take years to become accomplished at the sport? Really?
I,m not Joe Pro hunter by a long shot, more lazy red neck, in farm coverall,s. I don't scout them, or put them to bed, but if I wanted one of the great birds, think I'd just go shoot one. It's not were I live here in the rural, back in the day when it was still a new hunt, covered southern ont for the chance.
There turkey's, stupidest birds around, then add breeding season, hey, I see all the TV show's and magazines selling their were.s, unreal? I use a old farm pump shotgun, crap tire shell's, and the cheapest old box call. Always got a bird. What a money grab, licence,s, special shell's, decoy's, calls, time invested, gas, some go with guides. Yes I'm old and watch my budget, $30 + much more per tag, or wally mart at $10 per turkey?
End of rant, Ministry keep,s raising prices every year, birds are eating allot of the same as domestic's, not looking for the organic argument, just saying, the recovery program we all paid for is/was great, but don't burn us for what we all paid for.

It's not the MNR you need to target your frustration with, it's the provincial government. Every one of them cut the MNR budget with every budget. That's why the "special fund" was created to earmark licence sales for the MNR. As for the turkey course it's mainly a safety course. I took one of the first ones offered in Norfolk and I've been hunting them since '90. I agree a lot of gimmicks out there but at the same time I appreciate the advancements in chokes and loads. I hunt mostly public land and if you don't have a bird by the second week you will probably have to reach out and touch one, not always but a lot of the time. I'm retired and on a budget as well and I don't appreciate the added cost but as you can tell from my "handle" I love chasing turkeys. TC

My biggest beef is the bullshit of buying a $30+ tag in the spring or two tags and then them being useless come the tiny stupid fall season that has gained zero traction.

Spring Bear tags are transferable to the fall hunt.

Hey I've spent money on turkey tags the last 5 years and haven't shot a single one yet.

They got me hook line and sinker.

A $19 waterfowl permit every year let's you shoot as much as you want all season long as fast as you can empty your freezer. That's value.

Well my $100 avian x decoy might be the ticket this year... Oh and maybe some patience haha.

It would be nice if you could use one of the spring tags for the fall. Start writing letters! As the population does seem to be trending down that may be an alternative to dropping one of the spring tags. I used to hunt NY and there the non-resident (and resident) deer licence included your fall turkey tag. TC

I mean no disrespect to the sport of hunting, I've lived it, thankfully, for the past to many year's. And as cheap as I am, I realize you can't put a price on a day in the bush.
Maybe I was just shit lucky when it comes to turkey hunting, but I don't find it near the challenge it is hipped up to be.
Set up here?? Finish morning coffee, put on full piece blue covy's, orange touk, walk to back of property were I have a old barn door leaning against a tree, with a lawn chair, place old cheap hen decoy 25 yrds out to my right, call birds, shoot turkey when in range. Yes, they have busted me now and then in my hi-tech set up, but more often than not, its taken longer to buy my tag at the local hardware store, then the hunt lasted.
And although I may not find hunting the ever so wary turkey much of a challenge, it's the licence price, $30+ for basically a turkey breast. I've read articles were licence sales number's in general are declining. I don't hunt moose, but I'm sure there are some moose hunter's that are getting tired of being gouged for the privilege of entering a lottery?
What will a turkey licence be five year's from now? $60, $80?? Some will pay whatever the price for the sport they love, but many will just pack it in? Licence number's will continue to drop. All the negatives against our sport of hunting nowadays, pricing the sport out of reality shouldn't be one of them.

Consider yourself very lucky then @can't miss!! I have no property of my own and the property I have permission to hunt on is very limited for good setup choices and is surronded by property owned by others so a turkey there today could be shot by another hunter tomorrow. I've spent many season with nothing to show for but a unused turkey tag!! Turkey hunting IS a challenge and a challenge I love and look forward to every season! I also hate paying the increased price for a tag but as I stated I love it and the time being in nature where I'm away from work, my phone and the hustle of city life is priceless. I would also like to see spring tags transfer over to fall and imo I can't see why this would be a problem because of the shortened fall season and the fact that most hunters are concentrating on deer hunting anyway. So I guess I'm just saying be thankful for the hunting opportunities we all have because some hunters are not as fortunate as others!! OK there my rant is over :D

I agree with can't miss frustration $30 for a tag is just ridiculous every year i do fill my tag but at $30 i will not get my second tag and like trky chsr said we should be able to use the
tag in the fall if not filled in the spring i never seen 1 turkey this winter including in the spots were i always get a bird this just might be the year i go with out the numbers are for sure
down in my area now they want me to pay $30 for a tag ok thats fine but they won't be getting $60 out of me and like bassaholic said with a sport /hunting that is very misunderstood
by many we are very lucky to be able to get out there and do what we love to do i definitely think it should be dropped down to one bird in the spring for a few years any ways .They set
the price and thats that they cut out the extra tags for deer do it with turkey to every year i spend $50 and haven't shot a deer in 4 years but i love my hunting and and if i have to spend
the tag price then i will.And speaking of turkey hunting it's not far off good luck guys

It would be nice if you could use one of the spring tags for the fall. Start writing letters! As the population does seem to be trending down that may be an alternative to dropping one of the spring tags. I used to hunt NY and there the non-resident (and resident) deer licence included your fall turkey tag. TC
I'm with you guy on the spring tag being used in fall . Never had an interest when the course was free years ago and I come THAT CLOSE last year to taking the test as friends said " if they could only hunt one thing , It would be turkeys ." They explained why and in some ways could see an argument for it . But this included deer hunting . SERIOUSLY !!! The reward (as far as I"m concerned ) far out ways the expense . I've always said I could sneak up on a turkey and if I got there early enough , I'd have my choice of bird for .77 cents / lb. at the grocery store . I end up with a lot more meat in the freezer at the end of deer season . I was just doing the math and it seems you would have to shoot a turkey over 40 lbs . to remotely justify the cost of the tag and I haven't seen one weighed that size in at any of the local contests that are ran . At least there , the real pay off might be a shiny new gun and that I could live with if I ever shoot a 40 lb . turkey that isn't in a farmers barnyard .LOL

Last edited:
Ya $30+ for a turkey tag is the reason that after 15 years I am giving up turkey hunting. There is a politician from the NDP party down Kingston way that has been fighting the liberals about certain things they have been doing in the MNR for example not properly doing fly overs to count moose numbers. When he asked where all the money from the tag/fishing licenses is or went they could not tell him they just take the money and put it into other programs not conservation. It really is bullshit that they keep raising the prices and don't do anything about conservation at all.

Ya $30+ for a turkey tag is the reason that after 15 years I am giving up turkey hunting. There is a politician from the NDP party down Kingston way that has been fighting the liberals about certain things they have been doing in the MNR for example not properly doing fly overs to count moose numbers. When he asked where all the money from the tag/fishing licenses is or went they could not tell him they just take the money and put it into other programs not conservation. It really is bullshit that they keep raising the prices and don't do anything about conservation at all.
Yup ! Just like doing something about the coyotes . Newspaper says , we don't need to shoot them and there has to be a better way . Farmers have been complaining for years but counsel members or MPs come back with a " show me the proof or it's not a problem " but nothing gets done and then other people complain when you can't take your pet out for a walk on a trail for fear fluffy will get snatched right out of his or her collar . I don't take my dog out anywhere I know there are or have been coyotes unless I'm packing a gun . As far as the turkey deal goes , obviously it's a persons choice what he or she hunts for , but until there are changes made about licences and or use of tags (like the fall hunt as mentioned earlier ) I can do without it . I've heard a lot about the moose lottery to . Just don't think the powers that be realize that they are pricing hunters out of hunting . Bad enough dealers (new and used ) are getting crazy with the U.S dollar deal . Inside of 2 gun shows , about 2.5 months apart , I watched the price on 2 guns ( one new and one used ) climb $100 and $ 120 respectively . I'm sure the used one had been sitting at his table thru at least 4 shows and no bites . So what does he do ... jack the price up and blame the U.S dollar , when it was probably involved in a trade or an estate sale , where he probably also paid far less for it and in CAN. dollars also . So to all you out there considering buying a new or new/used gun , before you spend your hard earned "DO YOUR HOMEWORK " . The extra time spent may save you hundreds .

I will never waist the money on a turkey tag. I buy turkey chicks for 5 bucks in the spring let them graze and finish them with some corn. No tag, no gun no bruising. Just a sharp axe. And I can eat the whole bird.

I will never waist the money on a turkey tag. I buy turkey chicks for 5 bucks in the spring let them graze and finish them with some corn. No tag, no gun no bruising. Just a sharp axe. And I can eat the whole bird.

It's never a waste to buy a tag to let you enjoy something you love doing. Hunting and fishing are never cheaper than the grocery store when you figure in gas, special clothing and all the other goodies we "need" (Can't Miss :)). Every hobby has a cost associated with it and if we enjoy those hobbies we have to accept the cost. And Magnum you are not wrong about the "powers that be" wanting to price us out of hunting, just part of the Liberal agenda. As for firearm retailers the sad fact is on new guns and ammunition and everything else that is paid in US dollars the price is up by 40% or better over last year. There are only a few distributors in Canada and we all buy from the same ones. As for used gun prices going up, yes that is gouging. TC

It's never a waste to buy a tag to let you enjoy something you love doing. Hunting and fishing are never cheaper than the grocery store when you figure in gas, special clothing and all the other goodies we "need" (Can't Miss :)). Every hobby has a cost associated with it and if we enjoy those hobbies we have to accept the cost. And Magnum you are not wrong about the "powers that be" wanting to price us out of hunting, just part of the Liberal agenda. As for firearm retailers the sad fact is on new guns and ammunition and everything else that is paid in US dollars the price is up by 40% or better over last year. There are only a few distributors in Canada and we all buy from the same ones. As for used gun prices going up, yes that is gouging. TC
As far as the dealers go , yes there are only so many distributors but its funny how some dealers are consistently higher on price but use the same excuses as the rest to justify it . I don't think they're hurting either when you consider the size of their facility or the inventory they stock . That is also gouging and that's why I say "let the buyer be ware ". Although I'm not a liberal supporter , I think some of the fund distribution blame also rests on other factions shoulders . I agree 100 % with you on doing what you love , but for some people , you can't always afford to to what you love . And the thing is , with the way everything is going these days , new hunters , people on a budget etc ., it gets increasingly more expensive to maintain a normal life still and still have the finances to afford their hobbies . Unless you have access to a bush in your back yard things like gas is relative . If you have to travel there or scout you use gas . You can only save if you hunt with a buddy . The equipment gets as costly as you make it . I'd like to see when the dust settles , what the price of things will be . The same or higher yet and what the excuses will be then .

I'm pretty sure the NWTF saw the writing on the wall up here....
Sure hope so along with anyone who has a vested stake in it , monetarily or not . NWTF are probably your biggest voice in it , seeing they made their dream come to life . Now that I think about it , It's too bad these pheasant programs haven't done as well , seeing i pay for a township license to hunt rabbits and pheasant . I know they're trying but the birds just don't seem to be cooperating like the turkeys have . I've only seen four pheasants over the last 15 years or so in the wild and two were out of season .

Last edited:
Pheasant program is doomed they are not native. They do take off they will be invasive. They really should be re introducing Prairie Chickens. I probably still wouldn't hunt them, but it would be cool to see them when in the bush. Just like turkeys. I don't hunt them. But I like looking at them.

Pheasant program is doomed they are not native. They do take off they will be invasive. They really should be re introducing Prairie Chickens. I probably still wouldn't hunt them, but it would be cool to see them when in the bush. Just like turkeys. I don't hunt them. But I like looking at them.
I do have to agree with that . I see a lot of turkeys in the fields and the same when I'm deer hunting . I've had a single run about 5 ft. away from me . Thought it was a deer coming , spun around and in a few seconds here comes a turkey . Never did see what spooked him . And Paddle maker , if I knew that in town zoning would allow for it , I probably would raise a few pheasants myself as you have mentioned doing in the past . I have a dog kennel that I may not need shortly and it probably could be converted to a coop .

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks