Trolling motor batteries:

Duck Soup

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Any recommendations. I see the landscape has changed since I last replaced them. I have a 2008 onboard 4 battery charger and am also wondering if it is compatible with all this new stuff. Typically I get 5 years out of the 3 batteries used for the trolling motor. I see they were last replaced in April 2018. I've had #27 Deka batteries for the past 10 years.

Your charger will work fine with flooded lead acid and probably AGM. Definitely won’t with lithium.

Bought two 31s at Acme in Hamilton the other day 169 a piece

They were out of 27s and not expecting stock until mid May

Got 5 years out the two 27s

All depends on your budget. If you have cash to burn, go lithium but you will also need to replace your on board charger.

Thanks hawgseeker, headedtowater and Wildfire: Yeah, the lithium alternative is too much for me. $169 and no new charger sounds better. Mid May or even June is good. The Deka's are not totally out of power, just tired.

Thanks hawgseeker, headedtowater and Wildfire: Yeah, the lithium alternative is too much for me. $169 and no new charger sounds better. Mid May or even June is good. The Deka's are not totally out of power, just tired.
Hi Arnie hope all is well. I am kind of in the same delema as you are- just a bit. When the conversation started back a week ago about Lithium Batteries and Chargers, I started to do a little investigating myself- with respect to first my on-board 3-Bank charger. Would it be able to successfully charge- Lithium batteries? I have a Dual-Pro/ Real-Pro 3 bank charger onboard to charge my AGM Batteries as of now. I E-Mailed Dual-Pro's Tech-Department and they told me you would be find with your present Charger if it charges to 14.6 volts then Floats in at 13.6 volts. If your present charger does this you are good to go. It's funny that my dealer told me the same thing! I myself would NOT spend the $ on Lithiums - Too New of a Battery Technology to start spending $ on! Kinda like buying an F-150 Lightning when they have had PROBLEMS with their Batteries- and they are Lithium! Don't go there! Hopes this helps you out Arnie. How's Albert. Stay safe and healthy- Walleyeman.

Duck Soup I purchased 4 new batteries last year for my Motorguide xi15 36 volt from Schoolhouse battery 5918 Trafalgar St. Dorchester 519-872-4438 and they were the best price that I could find

Hi Arnie hope all is well. I am kind of in the same delema as you are- just a bit. When the conversation started back a week ago about Lithium Batteries and Chargers, I started to do a little investigating myself- with respect to first my on-board 3-Bank charger. Would it be able to successfully charge- Lithium batteries? I have a Dual-Pro/ Real-Pro 3 bank charger onboard to charge my AGM Batteries as of now. I E-Mailed Dual-Pro's Tech-Department and they told me you would be find with your present Charger if it charges to 14.6 volts then Floats in at 13.6 volts. If your present charger does this you are good to go. It's funny that my dealer told me the same thing! I myself would NOT spend the $ on Lithiums - Too New of a Battery Technology to start spending $ on! Kinda like buying an F-150 Lightning when they have had PROBLEMS with their Batteries- and they are Lithium! Don't go there! Hopes this helps you out Arnie. How's Albert. Stay safe and healthy- Walleyeman.
Thanks for the heads up. I have no idea what my present charger does with respect the range of volts. It's a 4-bank unit branded "Lund" and came with the boat. I guess I'll have to do like you and ask Lund Waiting to hear if the AGM's perform any better than the old lead acid batteries. I bought one as a replacement for my wife's car but it will have to do real well to beat the lead acid starting battery in my last truck. It lasted the vehicles entire 16 years I owned it. My current truck is a 2012 and still has the original battery. Unfortunately I've never ever come close to that with a marine deep cycle units. My experience with marine starting batteries is even worse. I've switched to a super heavy duty that cost $450 six years ago but it's the first one that has lasted more than 3 years. Arnie

Thanks for the heads up. I have no idea what my present charger does with respect the range of volts. It's a 4-bank unit branded "Lund" and came with the boat. I guess I'll have to do like you and ask Lund Waiting to hear if the AGM's perform any better than the old lead acid batteries. I bought one as a replacement for my wife's car but it will have to do real well to beat the lead acid starting battery in my last truck. It lasted the vehicles entire 16 years I owned it. My current truck is a 2012 and still has the original battery. Unfortunately I've never ever come close to that with a marine deep cycle units. My experience with marine starting batteries is even worse. I've switched to a super heavy duty that cost $450 six years ago but it's the first one that has lasted more than 3 years. Arnie
Hi Arnie. Even if you go with the AGM batteries- you will be good to go for atleast 4-5yrs. By then- the price of Lithium batteries should be cheaper! Lets keep our fingers crossed! In the meantime if your Charger works good, go with AGM's for your Deep-Cycle batteries. Just charge and go. No maintinence! Cheers and good luck. For my Main Starting Battery I have a Maintinence-Free Napa Pro Cranking Battery. No maintinence on ALL batteries. My boat is the same as yours! Can't beat those Tyee's!

Back