Thoughts on a GOOD handheld VHF radio

Pinchel

Just curious as to what people think or consider to be one of the best handheld VHF radios out their. Just picked up my new boat and would like one before spring. Don't wanna install a permanent one because of space.
Thanks

Pinchel You can get some pretty small and decent priced fix mounts. You will never forget it on shore or drop it over board:D Pringles on the other hand:rolleyes:

Would rather not deal with the big antenna they require. Maybe theirs something new and improved about them that I haven't seen. Last fixed mount I bought was 4 years ago and required a 7' antenna to be mounted.

There is no such thing as a "good" handheld VHF... I have a 8' antenna on my 17' boat and it never gets in the way... ;)

If you want to talk to boats you can SEE, then a handheld will do.
If you want to be heard when and if you're in trouble then you need a fixed with an 8 footer.

I would go with a fixed mounted radio . DSC radios can be linked to your gps and can send your location to the CG and other boats with dsc if you ever get into trouble . The added safety is worth it . Power squadron club has radio courses for your roc card .

There is no good portable, not worth the money. I sold my big boat and went smaller to a 16' tiller and have a fixed mount on a small piece of plywood and a short 3' metal antenna mounted on a small piece of plywood, Have a wire coming from my battery that I plug my radio in. When done for the day I store the whole thing in my rod locker or storage compartment. works great. Won't get out as far as the big 8' whip but does a great job, better than a portable.

I've have a hand held uniden vhf for a dozen or more years.it's worked great.having said that it is a backup to my permanent mount in the boat.when we're camping and I go out extra early for salmon walleye etc. the wife uses it from camp to call me if she wants to come out later etc.she brings it for a backup when we're on the big water.i know the new cell phones are great but you are monitored 24 / 7 on 16 by thunderbay coastguard and your hand held can reach them any time and they,ll see someone responds. kitch

I agree with the majority of these guys, been there done that, fixed mount with at least a good quality 8 ft. antenna is the only way to go. Fixed mount has a maximum transmission power of 25 watts RF output compared to a handheld's dismal 5 watts, then link that to a tiny internal antenna and that says it all, very limited transmission as well as reception distance.

If your still bent on a handheld then one of the best out there is the Lowrance Link-2 DSC VHF/GPS that has most features of a fixed unit including full class D DSC enabled for safety. And if your like @Big Dave it also floats if things get out of hand.:smuggrin:

But personally, I wouldn't consider it or any handheld in my boat especially when the day comes when you will need it the most, like when your life may be on the line. Remember the transmission distance will be reduced during severe weather, possibly to the point where a handheld may not even be able to hail anyone unless they are sitting beside you. Safety is my first concern over convenience any day, something to seriously think about @Pinchel.

http://www.lowrance.com/en-CA/Products/VHF-AIS/Link2-VHF-Radio-en-ca.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive used a hand held for a number of years now. Its okay for close in , but no good for any real distance.
Installing a mounted version with DSC this spring,a lot safer if you are out any distance from shore.
For safety sake be sure of which one you buy.

Whatever you do - do NOT buy portable VHF. Total waste of money and risky not be able to use it when you most need it - i.e. in emergency.
Not to mention the inconveniences of not be able to hear where the good bite is from someone a bit further than a stone throw from you.
Here is one I'd recommend:

http://www.lowrance.com/en-CA/Products/VHF-AIS/link-8-en-ca.aspx

I have the older version on my boat...antenna is fold-able...when not in use it folds down on the gunnel and you can hardly see it.
I have it hooked to my GPS so in need it can transmit your coordinates to the coast guard...

Cheers,
Ice Fisherman

Thanks all for the opinions and comments. I dread drilling holes into a brand new boat but I guess sooner or later it's bound to be required. I'm gun a look for a nice small fixed mount one and a good antenna. Better safe than sorry.

I agree that there is no such thing as a good handheld. Why would anybody put their lives at risk for the sake of a hand held. I do own a handheld but just as a backup to my permanent mount times 2. Yes I have 2 base units plus a handheld.

I have both. Handheld units have a very limited range as does a regular unit with a short antenna . VHF radios are pretty inexpensive theses days and in my opinion you will be better served with the radio installed in your boat. The antenna is a pain in the butt but the compact versions is still better than a handheld. Personally I've always opted for the compact antenna and sacrificed range. I hardly ever use my handheld.

@Pinchel...If you want compact, this full featured Standard Horizon Explorer GX1600 Ultra Compact ITU Class D VHF Radio would be a great choice to consider. Online at Radio World it's $170 but also has a $30 mail-in rebate until July 31/2014 and they also have a great selection of antennas. I can vouch that their service is first class and they fully stand behind everything they sell. I forgot to mention this unit is waterproof.

The picture in white shows actual size of the radio.
Overall Dimension: 5.91"(w) x 3.35"(H) x 3.54"(D) http://radioworld.ca/gx1600w-p-8858.html
sta-gx1600w_l.jpg
sta-gx1600b_m.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Pinchel
I've used a Uniden Voyager (5 watt max.) model for over ten years, it works fine any where in the Inner Bay and a bit beyond but as others pointed out if you want distance a proper unit(25 watt max.) with properly match antenna is the way to go. I would still keep the handheld because they are waterproof and if your boats underwater or on fire and you end up in the lake you can still call for help.

Forgot to mention that I regularly talk to boats in Clevland from Port Glasgow with my base units. Try that with a hand held unit. Like I said a hand held is only good for a back up.

Forgot to mention that I regularly talk to boats in Clevland from Port Glasgow with my base units. Try that with a hand held unit. Like I said a hand held is only good for a back up.

How about from Edmonton? :smuggrin::D:D

Back