Thames River Walleye’s….Anyone else having any Luck? 🤔

Red Hering

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
The walleye fishing has been up & down for me so far this walleye fishing season,but no complaints here from me,because for me,it has always been just getting outdoors,and perhaps catching a walleye,( and some even released), here & there. As mentioned many times before,the Thames River is huge,with plenty of river to fish in to try to catch a walleye or two. I have been constantly looking for different walleye spot’s for a challenge,and a change of scenery,to fish in,and the many long hikes 🥾 🥾 that I do,helps to keep me in shape at the same time. I am looking forward to my next walleye fishing trip out again soon,and here are some photo’s & a video from my last walleye trip out just recently. Also,it looks like that it will be Tim Hortons coffee for me now for awhile,( lol 😂), over McCafe,to take to the riverbank,due to the fact that Tim Hortons has the “Roll Up The Rim” on right now,till March 31,2024. Tight lines to all, & don’t be afraid to post on your Thames River walleye fishing trip,good or bad. 🎣🐟👍🙂
View attachment IMG_3326.mov

Attachments

• IMG_3313.jpeg
    IMG_3313.jpeg
    132 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3315.jpeg
    IMG_3315.jpeg
    238.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3328.jpeg
    IMG_3328.jpeg
    354.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3322.jpeg
    IMG_3322.jpeg
    365.3 KB · Views: 35
I have been getting a few with the majority of my trips. Last night was my first catch under 18", infact it is the first under 18 I have seen anyone pull this year Been fishing multiple spots in delaware mostly. I have noticed many using a jigging approach instead of just a steady retrieve and I'd guess 75% of my catches have been this way as well.

Attachments

• IMG_20240306_172507311.jpg
    IMG_20240306_172507311.jpg
    462.6 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20240303_081634232.jpg
    IMG_20240303_081634232.jpg
    376.1 KB · Views: 80
  • 348a5b45-f036-4f40-b9d2-08916adc9681.jpg
    348a5b45-f036-4f40-b9d2-08916adc9681.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 79
Hi,
We used to fish down stream from the big bridge in Komoka. Maribo 1/4 ounce jigs and 1/4 ounce vibratails were are go to. Can you still access that area for fishing?

As you know red and we have talked about years back.the main run never gets up Delaware way tell at best last few days of March and then great fishing 3 weeks in april.there starting to show up in Chatham area last few days so there on there way buddy.and of course it's closed soon sooooo

Hi,
We used to fish down stream from the big bridge in Komoka. Maribo 1/4 ounce jigs and 1/4 ounce vibratails were are go to. Can you still access that area for fishing?
Yes @DST no problem accessing that area for fishing,and tight lines & perhaps walleye’s ON!! 🎣🐟👍🙂

Reactions: DST
I have been getting a few with the majority of my trips. Last night was my first catch under 18", infact it is the first under 18 I have seen anyone pull this year Been fishing multiple spots in delaware mostly. I have noticed many using a jigging approach instead of just a steady retrieve and I'd guess 75% of my catches have been this way as well.
Nice photo’s & catch @Walter Fishonn 👍 I have also noticed a lot of bigger walleye’s over the 18 inch length,and some of them were big females loaded with eggs. Hopefully,those females are
View attachment IMG_3329.mov
released,to keep our future walleye fishing strong!! 👍🙂

Attachments

• IMG_5430.jpeg
    IMG_5430.jpeg
    281.9 KB · Views: 1
The walleye fishing has been up & down for me so far this walleye fishing season,but no complaints here from me,because for me,it has always been just getting outdoors,and perhaps catching a walleye,( and some even released), here & there. As mentioned many times before,the Thames River is huge,with plenty of river to fish in to try to catch a walleye or two. I have been constantly looking for different walleye spot’s for a challenge,and a change of scenery,to fish in,and the many long hikes 🥾 🥾 that I do,helps to keep me in shape at the same time. I am looking forward to my next walleye fishing trip out again soon,and here are some photo’s & a video from my last walleye trip out just recently. Also,it looks like that it will be Tim Hortons coffee for me now for awhile,( lol 😂), over McCafe,to take to the riverbank,due to the fact that Tim Hortons has the “Roll Up The Rim” on right now,till March 31,2024. Tight lines to all, & don’t be afraid to post on your Thames River walleye fishing trip,good or bad. 🎣🐟👍🙂
View attachment 84926
Slow day of walleye fishing for me and many other angler’s yesterday, ( March 7/24 ), but it was a fantastic day weather wise to try our luck to catch some walleye’s. It was a pleasure as well,to meet @wildeye rainbow who was just starting to go walleye fishing as I was leaving,to try his luck to catch a walleye yesterday. How did you make out walleye fishing, @wildeye rainbow ? Any luck at all,at catching a walleye? Thanks in advance,and perhaps we will meet up again somewhere. 🎣🐟👍😎

Attachments

• IMG_3375.jpeg
    IMG_3375.jpeg
    263.4 KB · Views: 18
I think I’ve caught like 13-15 in total now… I had a great night on Tuesday and caught 5, and a few nights now catching 2 or 3, but not every day is great, took yesterday off from work and it was slow only got 2 and fished for like 5 hours … so many people out there too, there was people in every spot almost …. Here’s some big ones, all the biggins were released

Attachments

• FDF7738F-1C42-42F3-B98D-2949C6008E7B.png
    FDF7738F-1C42-42F3-B98D-2949C6008E7B.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 49
  • 874EDA84-97AD-4EF1-9473-5B31B793C4EB.png
    874EDA84-97AD-4EF1-9473-5B31B793C4EB.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5614.MOV
    19.4 MB
  • IMG_5617.MOV
    16 MB
I think I’ve caught like 13-15 in total now… I had a great night on Tuesday and caught 5, and a few nights now catching 2 or 3, but not every day is great, took yesterday off from work and it was slow only got 2 and fished for like 5 hours … so many people out there too, there was people in every spot almost …. Here’s some big ones, all the biggins were released
Nice photo’s 👍 @Fishermanpaul and especially the video’s releasing the “biggins!!” 👊 which are mostly the female walleye’s loaded with eggs!! I agree about every people in every spot almost. The weather was perfect yesterday for fishing,and the walleye season is winding down fast,( when the walleye sanctuary starts ),from east of the Keil Bridge in Chatham,starting on March 16,2024. Tight lines to all,to the rest of the walleye season. 🎣🐟👍😎

Slow day of walleye fishing for me and many other angler’s yesterday, ( March 7/24 ), but it was a fantastic day weather wise to try our luck to catch some walleye’s. It was a pleasure as well,to meet @wildeye rainbow who was just starting to go walleye fishing as I was leaving,to try his luck to catch a walleye yesterday. How did you make out walleye fishing, @wildeye rainbow ? Any luck at all,at catching a walleye? Thanks in advance,and perhaps we will meet up again somewhere. 🎣🐟👍😎
It was a beautiful day,..., to get a couple of suckers. No walleyes today. Nice to have met you Red. Thanks for the 6 8 sticker. Hope to get out another day before the March 15 closure but that could depend on how much rain we get.

WR

Lots of guys catching, seems they are on the rock now.

Personally I’ve tried for 25 years with zero results, gotta keep the skunk alive lol. I can wheel them in a boat no problem anywhere, in the river all I do is donate tackle.

Only place in a river I’ve actually ever got them is vertically drifting the Trent river back near I grew up on BOQ.

Seen lots of social media posts on a London fishing on Facebook and most guys are catch and release which is in encouraging to see. Some big girls being caught for sure, seen one with a tape at 30.

Cheers genitals! 🍺

Its been a good walleye season this winter, with a good mix of Jacks and hens. Its really to bad the river closes Mar 15th and dont reopen until the 2nd satuday in May. Us as anglers will never impacted the walleye population with a fishing pol.Maybe they should treat the commerical fishing the same way if there so concerned about the walleyes reproducing. Ive had conversation with red hering about getting us all together and starting the process to shorten the ban or removing it completely.

Its been a good walleye season this winter, with a good mix of Jacks and hens. Its really to bad the river closes Mar 15th and dont reopen until the 2nd satuday in May. Us as anglers will never impacted the walleye population with a fishing pol.Maybe they should treat the commerical fishing the same way if there so concerned about the walleyes reproducing. Ive had conversation with red hering about getting us all together and starting the process to shorten the ban or removing it completely.
Well said @Mercury Rising 👍 and as of now, I haven’t had any word back to me from a MNR ( Ministry of Natural Resources), staff that I had talked to for awhile,since November 10,2024,about shortening the walleye sanctuary period,from 2 month’s to a 1 month period, the walleye sanctuary which is on from March 15 to the 2nd Saturday in May of each year. Obviously,the shortening of the walleye sanctuary period will not happen this year by the looks of things,but perhaps next year in 2025? It’s a “wait & see” situation,and here’s hoping especially with angler’s that don’t have boats,that can not walleye fish on Lake Erie,especially in the summer,where the much plentiful walleye’s are much easier to catch,sometimes in a much shorter time,then pursuing the Thames River walleye’s off the riverbank! Here’s hoping for now,that us Thames River angler’s will get another chance this walleye season,to be able to walleye fish again,( once the flood right now subsides a bit),before the walleye sanctuary starts after March 15,2024,in Zone 16, east of Keil Bridge in Chatham. Tight lines to all on the Thames River & perhaps a walleye or two etc., on!! 🎣🐟 🤞 👍🙂

Attachments

• IMG_3383.jpeg
    IMG_3383.jpeg
    244.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3323.jpeg
    IMG_3323.jpeg
    398.7 KB · Views: 12
Well said @Mercury Rising 👍 and as of now, I haven’t had any word back to me from a MNR ( Ministry of Natural Resources), staff that I had talked to for awhile,since November 10,2024,about shortening the walleye sanctuary period,from 2 month’s to a 1 month period, the walleye sanctuary which is on from March 15 to the 2nd Saturday in May of each year. Obviously,the shortening of the walleye sanctuary period will not happen this year by the looks of things,but perhaps next year in 2025? It’s a “wait & see” situation,and here’s hoping especially with angler’s that don’t have boats,that can not walleye fish on Lake Erie,especially in the summer,where the much plentiful walleye’s are much easier to catch,sometimes in a much shorter time,then pursuing the Thames River walleye’s off the riverbank! Here’s hoping for now,that us Thames River angler’s will get another chance this walleye season,to be able to walleye fish again,( once the flood right now subsides a bit),before the walleye sanctuary starts after March 15,2024,in Zone 16, east of Keil Bridge in Chatham. Tight lines to all on the Thames River & perhaps a walleye or two etc., on!! 🎣🐟 🤞 👍🙂
Hey Red. I don't know about that one? You know what they say- It's tuff to fight city hall!! You are right- Let's hope for 2025!

If you think they’ll extend the open season or get rid of the closed season all together by 2025 with one person sending them an email I think you guys have high hopes.
I know with 3 rods for carp It took years and year and years with high profile people trying to get it done.
Their not going to change anything with 1/2 emails being sent to them.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks