Snow Tires —Any recommendations?

Red Hering

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
I am planning on doing some ice fishing trip’s into the new year 2019,trip’s such as Long Point Bay,Lake Simcoe,and maybe even in the Lake Nippissing-Temagami area,if the ice fishing is slow here in southwestern,ontario.I was just wondering what anyone would recommend for a good set of snow tires? I drive a 1500 Chevrolet pickup truck,(it is not a 4x4),and over the years I have tried the Michelin M/S,and the Goodyear all season tires,but I felt that I needed something more dependable.I am also a member of Costco,and I am wondering as well if their tires are a good brand for the winter months? Thanks in advance & have a great day.??

Last edited:
I found Bridgestone fantastic winter tires, the Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 is one of the best if not the best and Costco carries them. Michelin Latitude X-Ice Xi2 is another top winter tire. (y)

NOTE: Even though your truck is not 4-wheel drive you still need all 4 to be winter tires.

I found Bridgestone fantastic winter tires, the Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 is one of the best if not the best and Costco carries them. Michelin Latitude X-Ice Xi2 is another top winter tire. (y)

NOTE: Even though your truck is not 4-wheel drive you still need all 4 to be winter tires.
Definitely @Wave Runner.I was going to buy 4 winter tires for sure,and I will check out Costco. Thanks for your help. ??

I had Toyo observe GSi5 winter tires on my jeep a few years ago and loved them. I now have a Ford Edge AWD and have been using Hankook ipike RW11 winter tires and cant complain about them at all! What ever you decide to go with @Red Hering I'm sure you will notice a major change from an all season tire and on those longer drives in the winter to lake St.Clair and Simcoe for those elusive perch you will feel much safer and planted to the road.

I have Hankook ipike on my f150 and they perform well! That being said I have always purchased toyo's for summer tires and they are by far the best for tread life. Goodyear and michiline wear way too fast I've found....i bought the Hankook because of the price, couldn't pass it up. Try kijiji, you'll save money and possibly find some mounted on rims which will save you from mounting at at garage

Hi Red- I also agree with Bob- Get the Bridgestone Blizzaks- DM-V2! I have them on my Sprort- Trac- Adrenalin and love them! You will not be disappointed. Got them also at Costco. Good luck my friend. Also watch out for any Rebates or Costco-CashCards to go along with it! Walleyeman.

Hi.
I own a garage here in London; if you can give me the sizing of your tires; I can give you price comparisons for when you go shopping.
For a board member, I'll sell the tires at my price; cash & carry. If you want me to install & balance them; it'll be $20.00 a tire; that'll cover the cost of my techs doing it.
Another suggestion for a pick up, would be to upgrade from a P metric (Large car tire) to an LT (Light truck) tire; if you already don't have LTs?
If you want to talk options give me a call 519-681-3844. I'm at the shop most times; I have been taking some time off, battling this cancer I have. Leave a message with Dave (Manager) and I'll get back to you.
I'll extend this same offer to any board member; I want to pay it forward; for all I've learned from and enjoyed reading this board.
Sorry if anyone sees this as a sales pitch, if so screw off. LOL This is a sincere offer to help a board member.

Thanks Stomp for offering a nice place to talk and meet people.

Dan.

Hi.
I own a garage here in London; if you can give me the sizing of your tires; I can give you price comparisons for when you go shopping.
For a board member, I'll sell the tires at my price; cash & carry. If you want me to install & balance them; it'll be $20.00 a tire; that'll cover the cost of my techs doing it.
Another suggestion for a pick up, would be to upgrade from a P metric (Large car tire) to an LT (Light truck) tire; if you already don't have LTs?
If you want to talk options give me a call 519-681-3844. I'm at the shop most times; I have been taking some time off, battling this cancer I have. Leave a message with Dave (Manager) and I'll get back to you.
I'll extend this same offer to any board member; I want to pay it forward; for all I've learned from and enjoyed reading this board.
Sorry if anyone sees this as a sales pitch, if so screw off. LOL This is a sincere offer to help a board member.

Dan.
This is a GREAT offer, thanks Dave!!!!!!!

Cough, cough hhmmmm the name is Dan. LOL
Call me whatever just not late for supper!!!

Dan.

@Dand : Keep that chin up on your cancer and a very positive attitude, we battled it for 3.5 years with our daughter, now 13 years later she is still with us. Good luck to YOU and beat this thing. P.S. Great offer on the tires, your heart is in the right place. Good on you..

Hi.

Dan.
@Dand,first of all,sorry to read about your cancer that you are battling right now,and all the best!! My truck tire size are: P245/70 R17. Open Country Toyo A/T M/S Please give me a price with installation and balance included for 4 tires. PM me please,if you like,and thanks for your time and offer.I will also call your garage sometime through the week.

Hi Red- I also agree with Bob- Get the Bridgestone Blizzaks- DM-V2! I have them on my Sprort- Trac- Adrenalin and love them! You will not be disappointed. Got them also at Costco. Good luck my friend. Also watch out for any Rebates or Costco-CashCards to go along with it! Walleyeman.
Thanks @walleyeman I went to Costco today for gasoline for my wifes truck.The Costco store looked very busy,so I didn’t get a chance to look at some tires.I will go through the week,and thanks for the tips about rebates,etc.

I have Hankook ipike on my f150 and they perform well! That being said I have always purchased toyo's for summer tires and they are by far the best for tread life. Goodyear and michiline wear way too fast I've found....i bought the Hankook because of the price, couldn't pass it up. Try kijiji, you'll save money and possibly find some mounted on rims which will save you from mounting at at garage
Thanks @bassaholic I have the Toyo Open Country A/T M/S tires on my truck right now,and I agree,they are good summer tires,but I didn’t like driving with them through the winter last year. I will check Kijiji as well,and thanks for the tip.

Thanks @bassaholic I have the Toyo Open Country A/T M/S tires on my truck right now,and I agree,they are good summer tires,but I didn’t like driving with them through the winter last year. I will check Kijiji as well,and thanks for the tip.
I have the same tires for the summer on my truck as well. Best tires I've purchased yet....all around great tire

I just bought a set off kijiji 400 bucks on the correct rims with almost zero ware , there’s lots of deal on there

P245/70R17 Standard Load
Cooper Discoverer True North $155.00
Dunlop Winter Maxx SJ8 $160.60
Bridgestone Blizzak BM-V2 $177.84
Michelin Latitude X-Ice X12 $206.70

LT245/70R17 10 Ply Light Truck
Cooper Discoverer M+S $221.96
Bridgestone Blizzak LT $197.86
Michelin LTX Winter $234.65

Cooper & Michelin have a $70.00 mail-in rebate on a set of 4 tire
Bridgestone $50.00 mail-in rebate on a set of 4 tire.

$3.30 Ontario tire stewardship fee (Tire tax)
$1.85 valve stems. May not be needed if you have tire pressure sensors?
$20.00 To install & balance.
Plus HST.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks