Shotgun hunting for deer

no it does not ,,,go to gun nutzs and ask you cannot win this one ,,,sabot slugs go in rifled barrels and rifled slug go in smooth barrels "i will bet my house and my two boats. you may shoot all the fully rifled slugs you want threw your rifled barrel but all you are doing is filling the rifling in with lead ,,sabot slugs are made to shoot in rifled barrels ,,rifled slugs are made to shoot in smooth barrels that why the slug is rifled ,,,,,,,,Dutch

Time to hook up the boat I am going down for some perch ,when you figure out the right answer I will check back this afternoon ,,have a great day ,,Dutch

Perch420 you are only 60‰ wrong. Sabot slugs are encased in a plastic inner Wad that surrounds the actual slug. The rifling in the barrel puts the spin on the plastic was. This is the type of shell that rifled barrels we're designed for. However you can shoot shells like Challengers or brennekes through a rifled barrel but as already stated after 3-5 shots the barrel is effectively LEADED and your acuracy becomes shit.

FOSTER style slugs— Smooth bores are designed for challengers and super x rifled slugs. The rifling on the slugs help impart some spin and stabelize and deform to the choke restriction on the smooth bore. Thats why these can be shot through any choke up to full with some decent results.

So yes you can use them but it makes the barrel shit.

I accept your apology .and I hear you followed me down for a bunch of perch today .it was a great day to be out we filled a half a cooler of good perch and ran out of minnows lol,wish I could have meet you ..Dutch

did you get a chance to look up slug guns and slugs yet ,,,,,,rifled slug smooth barrel sabot slug rifled barrel ....

Are you stupid seriously? We're not friends, I don't want to talk to u. If I did I'd give u my number. This is someone else's post your hijacking. I replied to them not you, just like the last post I replied to and you wanted to argue about. If you have an opinion for this person great, otherwise kindly get lost and have a good day!

Dutch they got a name for guys that cant admit to being wrong. Its IKE!

I Know Everything.

We've labelled a few of those at work.

Lol sure glad I don't hunt in your guys groups. Or maybe quality products say something different then buying the cheepest shit u can find. Read your barrel read your box of shells. Enough said,I sure as hell am not a gunsmith nor a shell loader so with something that could possibly kill myself or others I play it safe and follow the manufacturer recommendations. Happy hurting guys!! Oh shit my bad happy hunting I mean

I hear you you can tell them over and over but thy will not pay attention ,,,all has to do is google it to see ...I am done with this ..

No need to Google anything. I shoot Hornady and can read exactly what it says on the box. As well I shoot an 870 with a fully rifled cantilever barrel and can clearly read what is stamped onto it as well. Dutch go nock on a few neighbors doors and see if u can cut enough grass to round up some more gas money for dad's boat today. This forum is alot better when your out in daddy's boat!! If he will let u use it today that is.

hey I never called you any names or got rude ,,,you have no idea who I am or what I do ..you have to act like a child ...to much for me ,,,and I have 4 lots that I own to cut grass on already ,,and I do cut my neighbour grass as she is 90 years old and he husband is in the hospital with bladder cancer and no I do not charge her for this ,,,,,D

Easy now ladies, what next, hair pulling and scratching??????
P420, I have the same gun and can't see on the barrel, (rifled), anything about the slug type, just 2 & 3/4 or 3 inch fully rifled, is all that's stamped. I don't have the info from the box's from the shells.
I had the same question a while back, had a number of rifled slugs left over from my previous smooth bore firearm, and there like a fifth of the price. Did some research on rifled slugs threw rifled barrel, and like anything on the net, many different opinions, yes, no, maybe.
Best info I found, agree's with P420, rifled threw rifled barrel works well with good grouping, and does not fowl barrel. Site is www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-46-shotgun-slugs-sabots-and-smooth-bore-barrels/
Personally I have never tried it, I just bite the bullet and shoot the $4 sabots, shoot a few( 3), pre season, have always been in a 3 inch group at 50yrd's, and good to go. If anyone is/has used rifled slugs in rifled barrel with decent results and no barrel fowling or damage, please post info. I have more then a few 3 inch rifled shells just growing old.

Fully rifled exactly! That's what I said is stamped.on the barrel. I totally agree with dutch on the fowling up the barrel, but I clean my guns after every use anyway so that's not an issue. I don't take maybe shots so I guess I don't have to worry about the barrel getting dirty. At absolute max I'd take 5 shots before I cleaned my gun. So I guess if your shooting 15 or 20 shells a day it may be an issue other then that, I say fully rifled barrel with fully rifled slugs and your shooting a tack driver!

Half inch at 100 yards, pull the gun out at hunt time shoot it couple times and she's still dead on!

Barrel reads rifled, yes, rifled barrel, does not mention ammo, manual says sabot's, but no where say's anything about other load,s?? Just my guess but I bet their testing show their sabot's work best?
I,m more interested in folks that have shot rifled slugs threw this barrel, and their outcome? Other concern is if firearm is used with rifled slugs vrs sabot's, is the rifle-ling of the sabot barrel looking clean, but now full of lead? That said, sabot,s fill rifle ling groove's with plastic as well.
Always looking for info
Cheer's

the barrel says fully rifled ,that means that there is rifling cut in to the barrel from front to back .this is to put a spin od the plastic that covers the sabot slugs ,,rifled slugs have a fin on the outside that will inpart some spin on the slug as it goes thru a smooth barrel ,,years ago before rifled barrels came out all we had was rifled slugs to shoot out of are smooth bore shotguns ,,know with the rifled barrels and the very fast sabots the speeds are way up and the range is a lot greater then it was with the rifled slugs .Dutch

Dutch guy, I need no lesson on rifled barrel's vrs smooth bore, and if you read your post above, it only say's what I already pointed out. I'm also not interested in becoming your,
( and win T's) newest kicking post. Do have to wonder if your really ready to hand over, what was it, your house and boats to that perch420 guy??
Do not rely on any one web site on the issue of rifled threw rifled, there's hundreds of site's and opinion's out there.
I do not shoot rifled slug's threw my rifled barrel, only the recommended sabots, 3 for targeting in the fall, leaves 7 for hunting from two boxes. But 10 times the price of rifled slugs, a lot claim they work very well and no ill effects to the firearm?
Are you just relying on what worked in the past, or have you been around rifled slugs threw a rifled slug barrel? That's the info I'm after

yes I have shot challengers and brenekes threw my rifled barrels ,and thy will shoot ,just not well after a few shots ,I was not replying to your post at all ..what got me was his post saying that his rifled barrel said to shoot rifled slugs and I bet it did not ,,that's all ,,,I have a 12g rem 870 slug gun with 4 barrels a smooth slug and a rifled slug as well as a mossy with a rifled barrel and a smooth slug barrel and have been shooting deer with slugs for more then 30 years ..I also worked in a gun shop for over 10 years .and know what it says on slug barrels ...This fellow started to get rude and personal and I do not back down when I know I am right ,,,D

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks